UKBouldering.com

Rock rings (Read 3458 times)

ned

• menacing presence
Rock rings
September 22, 2004, 05:52:26 pm
Anyone had any experiance with these
http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=2&t=326&p=1700&sid=cb31d3f2adcc8ae0a3f398f9e8633b77

Are they worth it or is it best to just crank on a bar/fingerboard?

Ta

BoulderHog

• addict
#1 Rock rings
September 22, 2004, 06:15:16 pm
Useless. I'd give you mine but I'm still hoping I'll find a use for them (5 years of gathering dust). Buy a fingerboard for when you can't get to a boulder wall, and a chin up bar for when you want to isolate your arm muscles. It's also better to work one armers on a bar than on these (despite what people say) because the bar forces you to keep position, whereas the rock ring makes you swing around and ruins the front on chin up. They're also not very nice to hold.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Rock rings
September 22, 2004, 06:16:53 pm
Although they are helpful for not picking up shoulder injuries they are not the best sport specific exercise that you can do.  When does the rock ever move?  They do build strength (look at gymnasts!) but a finger board or pull up bar would be cheaper :)

dave

#3 Rock rings
September 22, 2004, 09:12:23 pm
i've never used them, but i'd always assumed they fitted into the "interesting idea but probably shite and expensive" category.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#4 Rock rings
September 23, 2004, 10:09:17 am
I disagree to an extent, I myself was thinking about getting some (never did though) but couldn't decide.

I thought they were quite good when I played around on a pair and even though you may swing a bit when doing a pull up its good training to hold the swing.

I also think it depends on how high you have them.

I wouldn't buy a pair over a finger board but think if you have the cash spare.....

BoulderHog

• addict
#5 Rock rings
September 23, 2004, 07:01:48 pm
The major problem with them is the type of holds on offer. You'll want to be doing one armers on the jug at the top, but grab this and it pulls the whole thing sideways and the hold position ends up shite. The next hold down causes blisters, the one below this does as well, and the bottom hold is too small to really get worthwhile one arm training on (risks injuries), and too big for two armed work. All in all it's a very poor substitute for a finger board.

It's not even very portable, you need a beam or hooks with plenty of swing space, or a chin up bar, in which case you may as well just use the bar and get a better work out. They're heavy as well.

You can tell I really like them, go buy a set  :D .

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 Rock rings
September 23, 2004, 07:40:09 pm
There's rings at the school. It's fuckin nails clart.

ned

• menacing presence
#7 Rock rings
September 24, 2004, 03:23:16 pm
cheers, i wont waste my money!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal