UKBouldering.com

Mono-tastic (Read 14682 times)

Tommy

• junky
Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 09:58:13 am
Me and Pete W are trying to make significant inroads into mono ability this year and it would be nice to slowly test out the gains on mono-based problems in the Peak (and further abroad as well). I've got the worst knowledge when it comes to this and it's fairly niche subject area  ;D

Anyone come across anything with a significant mono move? Quite happy for it to be a single move. Or know classic stuff? I don't mind a few things with 2-finger pockets as well, but they'd need to be >7B+ as it's only got a certain amount of crossover. Normal mono stuff is fine from 7A. I imagine there's actually quite a few in Wales....? Chris?

Probably no one will want to say, but if there's unclimbed mono projects, we'd happily try those....  ;)

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#1 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 10:19:56 am
Hellraiser sds on wavelength and the roof crack project on Nantmor come to mind

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#2 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 10:25:51 am
Alternatively find a tunnel in the quarries and bring a drill?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 10:32:30 am
Peak:

Karma Killer has a mono move, not the crux but a definite pull. Unless you are tall enough to stand on the good foothold, in which case it's probably pretty easy - which you will be. Still probably the most obvious one I can think of.
Make it Funky has a mono move, but it's easy and you can shake out on it.
Boot Boys has a mono move low down, but it's not the crux unless your finger doesn't fit, in which case it's not a mono move.
Barracuda used to have a crux on a mono plus a bit of  finger stacked behind it, but the pocket has got bigger - now 2 fingers but probably still the crux (I've not tried it post break).
I think Eclipsed has a crux on a 2-finger pocket but I've not been on it.
My route Flow has a mono on it. Not a hard move though (I clipped off it).

Best spending a week in Margalef or the Frankenjura.

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 10:39:12 am
Isn't the crux of The Vision off a mono?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 10:55:21 am
Probably no one will want to say, but if there's unclimbed mono projects, we'd happily try those....  ;)

The unclimbed direct start to Mad Max at High Tor would have a big move off an undercut mono hold.

Might be prudent to reinforce it to be sure it doesn't snap.

Tommy

• junky
#6 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 10:59:27 am

Just checked your blog but couldn't find it. Can you post a link to the crack proj?

Tommy

• junky
#7 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 11:00:25 am
Peak:

Karma Killer has a mono move, not the crux but a definite pull. Unless you are tall enough to stand on the good foothold, in which case it's probably pretty easy - which you will be. Still probably the most obvious one I can think of.
Make it Funky has a mono move, but it's easy and you can shake out on it.
Boot Boys has a mono move low down, but it's not the crux unless your finger doesn't fit, in which case it's not a mono move.
Barracuda used to have a crux on a mono plus a bit of  finger stacked behind it, but the pocket has got bigger - now 2 fingers but probably still the crux (I've not tried it post break).
I think Eclipsed has a crux on a 2-finger pocket but I've not been on it.
My route Flow has a mono on it. Not a hard move though (I clipped off it).

Best spending a week in Margalef or the Frankenjura.

Ah cool, ok that's a decent set of stuff there to get started! I'll take you "I rested off it" with a pinch of salt though Ru as I know you're bloody good at monos...  ;D

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#8 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 11:01:57 am
Butch Cassidy at Dinas Rock has a pretty fierce haul off an undercut 2 finger pocket, where (for my finger size at least) something like 90% of my weight feels like it's on one finger. I think the crux is doing the move after that on the link though.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 11:06:23 am
Might be prudent to reinforce it to be sure it doesn't snap.

The hold that is, not your finger  ;D

Tommy

• junky
#10 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 11:06:41 am
Butch Cassidy at Dinas Rock has a pretty fierce haul off an undercut 2 finger pocket, where (for my finger size at least) something like 90% of my weight feels like it's on one finger. I think the crux is doing the move after that on the link though.

Oh dear, I did that move a couple of years ago as I wondered about doing BR sit. The mono move seemed pretty ok, but like the weak compression punter I am, I couldn't do BR  ;D. Great move though.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 11:55:00 am
 Another:

Converter 7C at the Tor. Although you can wheedle two fingers into the pocket in the roof (I used back 2) for those with fatter fingers (as I imagine you have after years of twisting your joints into cracks) its a mono. Its a bit painful and its in a roof and you take a lot of weight on it so you can imagine being on the crucifix as you do it.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#12 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 11:57:56 am
Ha amazing. What about mono-ing all the pockets on Rockatrocity? (Monotrocity?) That'd be pretty beefy.  :tease:

nik at work

• forum hero
#13 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 01:39:06 pm
Responsible parenting at summit quarry has four or five monos on it, none of the moves are HARD hard though.

andy popp

• forum hero
#14 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 01:44:26 pm
A number of the problems at Harmers Wood feature monos - Harmadillo being the most obvious - but I doubt any of them are going to seriously test you in any way.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 01:52:42 pm
A number of the problems at Harmers Wood feature monos - Harmadillo being the most obvious - but I doubt any of them are going to seriously test you in any way.

Slabby monos rather than overhanging monos. They also have the added attraction of being a lucky dip! (Or poke) as sometimes they contain a slumbering slug....

abarro81

• forum hero
#16 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 04:00:18 pm
Off the top of my head The Vision (Anston) and Crucial Times (Parisellas)spring to mind.

Converter didn't climb as a mono to me as you can rest index and ring on the edge that the mono is part of so it's more like a 3 finger drag where the mid finger is the best bit.

The Make It Funky move is not as easy as Ru makes it sound, plus I doubt you'll fit any finger in it (Hickish couldn't even fit pinky in)

Like Ru I would advocate just going somewhere like Buoux, Margalef or FJ instead. Agincourt would be a nice training tick ;)

abarro81

• forum hero
#17 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 04:06:59 pm
Hold on, surely Churnet must have some?

andy_e

• forum hero
#18 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 04:11:43 pm
Superfly at Earl without the arete?

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#19 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 05:06:32 pm

Just checked your blog but couldn't find it. Can you post a link to the crack proj?

http://hoseyb.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/nant-mor.html?m=1

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 06:43:50 pm
Can't think of any quality ones- but Monodoigt at the Roaches has a mono, which you don't need to use, but I imagine the original 7C sequence used it.

Also there is a mono on one of the problems on the Eaglestone (Where Beagles Dare?) although that again it can be avoided. 6C ish

There is a mono eliminate at Newstones on the Warm-up boulder - essentially it's a pull through on the mono, rather than using it as an intermediate. About 6C

There is also Cleverskin LH, which uses a LH mono (well it's not quite a mono, but only the index finger is really on anything. 7B+ ish

There is also Bionic Man at New Mills Tor over the Bionics overlap, with a mono with one hand,  7B+/7C

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 07:17:04 pm
Oh yes just thought of a good hard one. There is that mono underling 8A thing at Crag Y Langridge. Think it was done first by Ryan Pasquil. Not even tried it. But it is definitely a mono!

submaximal gains

• player
#22 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 07:26:34 pm
 The finger at Wainstones (V11?)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=109982

Murph

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 07:37:32 pm
White Bait at Rubicon is a series of monos. Probably beneath you but FWIW I thought it was hard for 6C.

remus

• forum hero
#24 Re: Mono-tastic
January 02, 2017, 08:02:07 pm
Hold on, surely Churnet must have some?

My thoughts exactly!

Crash Damage at gentleman's rock springs to mind, but surely there's more?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal