UKBouldering.com

The Great British Burn Off (Read 18040 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#25 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 05:11:34 pm
Flashed a CWIF problem that spat off Melissa le Nevé.

...aaand that's pretty much it.

Good enough I'd say

webbo

• forum hero
#26 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 05:14:28 pm
I used to enjoy doing problems at the wall first go, that the young keen kids who worked there had set. :whistle:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 05:26:02 pm
Must be a fair few Sheffield folk out there who burned Pooch off on the grit by all accounts, unless she literally didn't set foot on it at all.

To be fair to her she also burned off a full crowd of grit scenesters at the Fourth Cloud.

What actually happened was that I did the Storm in the morning when it was in shade, and then, at the end of the day when it was in the full sun, I think Adam tried it once and then moved on

Well you can have that, but it only really counts when you look down from the top and see said hero's sad, confused face trying to compute what just happened, only for him to try again, and fail again.

Bransby has fallen off seconding me at least once, which is a great feeling as it's a bit more of a cut and dried FAIL than bouldering. On the next pitch, which he found even harder, he refused to believe I could have seconded it fine and interrogated me on the belay about which piece I must have pulled on.

Must admit I like seeing Caff get burned off as he has more invested in being the best than most of us. About a year after I'd done Angel's Share he decided he'd like to do it too, so down we went. After watching him stand in the gutter for some time pawing ineffectually at the slab, I put my boots on to at least attempt to show him the sequence. With good nick, softer shoes and no pressure no one was more surprised than myself when I managed a retro-flash. Caff was suitably enthused and jumped back on, now having a sequence and more importantly he'd spied me pulling on a pebble. I sat on top and talked him into the sequence. The look of dismay as it dawned on him that there was not in fact 'a trick that he'd missed' will stay with me a long time. Needless to say he made no progress and we soon left.

36chambers

• forum hero
#28 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 05:26:19 pm
Burning off the great and good is all very well, but you know in your heart that when it happens it's probably because they weren't trying very hard (see my climbing of I'll Bet She Does and Crankin' Rankine's refusal to pull on). Burning off your fellow mortal mates is where it's really at.
Burning off 36C on Crimpy Roof because he doesn't know how to jump  :dance1:
That was also his excuse even I burnt him off on Fluide  :bounce:

You both know deep down inside that out dynoing someone because you're taller doesn't really count. But I'm bitter flattered either way.

andy popp

• forum hero
#29 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 05:33:16 pm
Bransby has fallen off seconding me at least once, which is a great feeling as it's a bit more of a cut and dried FAIL than bouldering.

Jim Moran fell of seconding me on JR (Cromlech). I was made up! I was very young and he was a big name back then. I've no idea what I was doing climbing with him as I didn't know him at all.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#30 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 05:55:09 pm
I used to enjoy doing problems at the wall first go, that the young keen kids who worked there had set. :whistle:

:)

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:33:23 pm

:)

Guy, now is probably not the time to admit that you used to set 'Webbo specials' at RockCity that were a cunning double bluff to make home feel good ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:34:01 pm
Does burning off short people count? ;)

webbo

• forum hero
#33 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:34:46 pm
Bransby has fallen off seconding me at least once, which is a great feeling as it's a bit more of a cut and dried FAIL than bouldering.

Jim Moran fell of seconding me on JR (Cromlech). I was made up! I was very young and he was a big name back then. I've no idea what I was doing climbing with him as I didn't know him at all.
you have just reminded me Jim fell off seconding me up High Noon. We had gone there with Jerry M after he'd done Wellington Crack and Milky Way, I was hoping he would do it so I could get the beta. He just looked it and said that looks hard.

webbo

• forum hero
#34 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:35:44 pm
Does burning off short people count? ;)
Are you hoping to do this one day. ;)

Duncan campbell

• junky
#35 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:36:49 pm
Me and Wood FT both burned Nathan Lee off on Ripper at Slipstones a few years back;  we did it first try then yelled "Yes!!" When Nath fell off. He fell off at least once more too as I recall. Very satisfying.

Another time was burning a friend of mine off by flashing heading the shot whilst he worked on the medium. He got pissed off with the medium so decided to try HtS having failed on it years previously. Another "Yes!" Moment.

Burnt the Dawes off on the edge problem at the cromlech boulders but it doesn't feel as good cos he was fat and shit. Though he is the dawes...

Steve R

• forum abuser
#36 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:48:34 pm

Another time was burning a friend of mine off by flashing heading the shot whilst he worked on the medium. He got pissed off with the medium so decided to try HtS having failed on it years previously. Another "Yes!" Moment.

Is that Mace?  I love burning him real good too and can barely handle being burnt by him (unless it's a flexibility thing)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#37 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 06:50:38 pm
Props for shouting "Yes" when Nathan fell off. It must be hard to be good and have to be constantly on your guard. I remember trying a new problem at Earl Seat and the familiar "race to be first" going on. When someone looked like they were going to do it we resorted to picking the pads off the ground, hurling them at them, and screaming "DAB!" in a vain attempt to scupper their success.

Obviously nobody ever burns Andy P off, but it was exquisite to flash The Dark Ark at Harmer's. Only after Andy had stacked the deck in my favour, of course, by brushing it and giving me his hard won beta.

andy popp

• forum hero
#38 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 07:00:38 pm
Doing my Chee Dale FA project first go belayed by Swiss god Elie Cheveux, who then fell of both his flash attempt and his first redpoint attempt. Of course, for this to count as a burning off we have to ignore the numerous days I'd already spent on it. Still, it felt a bit like I'd burnt him off.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:06:29 pm by andy popp »

andy popp

• forum hero
#39 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 07:01:54 pm
Obviously nobody ever burns Andy P off.

You burnt me off at Hen Stones Will.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#40 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 07:17:53 pm
I'm kinda the anti-burn-off (burnee?).  I invariably fail in messy fashion when asked to demonstrate a problem or route I have done previously.... collapsing off early moves in an ungainly heap, resembling the controlled demolition of a giraffe using high explosives. 

Performance anxiety?  Or maybe, as I suspect during my darker moments, all my ascents are freak, undeserved occurrences that I will receive some sort of karmic comeuppence for.  Just as well I'm a punter, not a sponsored hero, otherwise I would have a hellish time repeating stuff for the cameras!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#41 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 07:25:49 pm
I don't think I ever in twenty years of climbing burned someone off in fair fight. I once onsighted the FA of an overhanging highball crack that the locals had tried to layback at 7C/C+, I did it straight-in at mid 5.11 or so while they where frantically trying to throw pads under the problem, awaiting my inevitable fall. They still think they were burned off, but in all honesty it felt like winning a foot-race against a field of club foots.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#42 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 07:27:47 pm
Burnt the Dawes off on the edge problem at the cromlech boulders but it doesn't feel as good cos it is bloody horrible and the second worst move in Wales...

36chambers

• forum hero
#43 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 07:29:07 pm
Obviously nobody ever burns Andy P off.
You burnt me off at Hen Stones Will.

Was this his first time there though? Will has probably climbed everything there about a dozen times now, so don't believe him if he acts like he doesn't know what he's doing.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#44 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 09:03:38 pm
Realised I should've called this thread The Great British Burn Off but the moment has passed.

No it hasn't   ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#45 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 09:18:01 pm
Does beating somebody else's Lattice board score count?

Duncan campbell

• junky
#46 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 18, 2016, 09:38:18 pm

Is that Mace?  I love burning him real good too and can barely handle being burnt by him (unless it's a flexibility thing)

Yeah it was mason. Was great. Fortunately its no bother when he burns me off.

Burnt the Dawes off on the edge problem at the cromlech boulders but it doesn't feel as good cos it is bloody horrible and the second worst move in Wales...

Haha I quite like it. I might be my most climbed problem...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#47 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 08:42:51 am
Burnt Steve Mac off on the Foundry fingerboard on back2 on the small BM crimps. Better still was leaving Paul Reeve for dead running up the hill past Apparent North. That was probably 15 years ago and he says it still hurts that he has to live with that.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#48 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 09:29:39 am
I remember one day, training in Ben Moon's cellar a couple of days after he'd got back from France, in1989, having just made the F.A. of Le Plafond at Volx.

Sean Myles was ribbing me for looking a bit portly. I think Ben wanted to find out what he'd lost while climbing new routes in France (well, against me, he probably needed an excuse :P), so asked me how long I could dead hang a particular edge - which I did, pathetically, for about 3 seconds, but which was longer than Ben - who muttered something like "F'ing Hell, and I've just put up a new 8c!"

:strongbench:

I've been waiting for this thread for years  ;D

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#49 Re: The Great British Burn Off
November 19, 2016, 09:40:03 am
I almost burnt Dave Macleod off at TCA. There was an awkward sloper problem we were trying, he wander over, fell off, looked surprised. We then took turns to have goes, both getting close. He did finally get it before me, but I got it later that session. So close so a major scalp!

Being someone with average cardio max pace, I was surprised to burn my mate Andy off going up Les Courtes for a ski. He's done mountain marathons and can run a reasonable 10k pace. At the time I'd struggle to have run 5k. He was reasonably acclimatised too, so I was amusing to see him sweating, panting, collapsing behind me  ;D

Regularly used to burn off the "Chamonix sponsored hero crowd"...but that's not saying much...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal