UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta (Read 4814 times)

Simon W

• menacing presence
Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 07:31:27 am
Heading up from Sheffield to stay in Hawes for a few days and looking for bouldering recommendations. Going to Almscliffe on the way up and happy to drive out to the lakes as well as sticking around the dales for bouldering. Going to have one mat, a copy of Boulder Britain and a baby so ideally looking for shortish walkins, goodish landings and a load of 6-mid 7s without too much moving about.

Any ideas?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 07:56:31 am
You're well into limestone country there where I don't think there is much bouldering, and certainly none that I can think of (in Yorkshire) that's suitable for a pram. My Yorkshire recommendation would be Brimham. It's national trust so has a cafe and presumably some facilities which will be useful to have at hand for junior, plus there are a number of areas that will be easy to get to with a pram. The Anchor area, the Pommel area, and the bits around castle rock would be accessible with a pram, can't really think which other areas off the top of my head.

There may be more useful stuff in the lakes but I've no experience of it.

dave

#2 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 08:02:51 am
I'd go for Brimham, unless you can be arsed driving to Carrock.

Simon W

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 08:20:18 am
Cheers, happy drive about an hour and a half so Brimham and Carrock, good shouts.

Been looking at south lakes, places like Trowbarrow and Fairy steps only an hour away, anywhere around there fit the bill?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#4 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 08:27:22 am
Was about to suggest Trowbarrow if you're prepared to drive that far.
Also not sure how child friendly it is but Slipstones would also be within reach.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 09:09:57 am
Getting from car park to far end of Slipstones with a pram on the jeep track would be just about possible, but a long way, but you will need to offroad the last stretch which might be a tussle, and travelling along under the crag would be a bitch. Can you not borrow a Baby Bjorn or similar?

Isn't Carrock overgrown with bracken this time of year or are there bits that are OK?

dave

#6 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 09:24:50 am
I wouldn't bother with slipstones with a babby personally, there's easier options out there.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 10:13:20 am
Brimham is the obvious choice. Whitehouses (you drive past here on way to Brimham from Hawes) is good for a high concentration of 7s on one roof with a very short walk in. Roundhill is a very nice place to take the  family and has a high concentration of 6s plus a few 7s in a small area. All probs fine with one pad and very child safe, think Burbage South boulders. Walk in is about 10/15 mins and not suitable for a pram

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#8 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 10:14:13 am
+1 for Brimham, though you'll be limited as to specific spots once you get there as a few areas are pretty tucked away.

Getting a sling / carrier was a game-changer for me with the little 'un, miles easier than trying to use our pram.

However, I did get pram, baby, pad and bouldering / changing gear all in to West Chevin without too much hassle. Not exactly Almscliff in terms of bouldering but there's plenty to go at and it's a lovely spot.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 11:19:16 am
Hutton roof is worth checking out, closer and better than Fairy steps. Bit like a mid-grade woodwell with a couple of highballs and nice views. Been a while but one of the paths should be ok with a off-road pram. Great picnic spot.

Closest grit to Hawes is probably Lops Wath, it's tiny and atop a steep bank but there is a traverse block right by the layby.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#10 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 11:51:04 am
40min away from Hawes, so only slightly further than Lops Wath is The Great Stone of Fourstones in the north of Bowland. 30 sec from the car. 15 problems, three 7's. Can be boggy after rain but should be fine after all this hot weather.

But you'd get more climbing in at Hutton Roof. Mostly easier stuff, but there are a few 7's there too - there's a topo on Lakesbloc.

Simon W

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 11:54:07 am
Cheers everyone, loads of good options there, got an ergo sling thing with us as well as pram so don't mind a bit of off road.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 12:18:38 pm
The Great Stone of Fourstones in the north of Bowland. 30 sec from the car. 15 problems, three 7's. Can be boggy after rain but should be fine after all this hot weather.

Oof, good call. Only seen it from cycling past, is it good?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#13 Re: Yorkshire Dales bouldering beta
September 13, 2016, 01:28:24 pm
I like it. Some nice moves in a nice location. I've never spent a whole day there, but it's fun for a short session or a stop off before going somewhere else.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal