UKBouldering.com

Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale (Read 3320 times)

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 20, 2016, 10:52:05 am
Has anyone done this and is it any good?

I've never climbed at Gordale before and was looking for something to try. I'm still getting used to heights (that what gritstone does to you) again so climbing 40m routes isn't high on the list  :-[

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 20, 2016, 11:19:50 am
Have you been and looked at it? It's a sensational position but looks like a pain in the arse to actually climb logistics wise. I'd love to do it, but only for the sweet bat-hang profile pic all the babez will like.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 20, 2016, 11:41:08 am
Not climbed there myself but would be keen to get some visits in this summer if you ever need a partner. I'm back in Leeds now and could get in some after work sessions (could leave at 4pm) or weekends once the next few are out of the way.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 20, 2016, 12:05:29 pm
Tried it once, not long after it was established.  Set off clipping it up, with my customary (at the time) determination, and was surprised to find myself eyeballing the belay.

Could have almost bitten it(!), but I was buggered if I could take a hand off to clip it.

I never went back....

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#4 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 11:02:41 am
Have you been and looked at it? It's a sensational position but looks like a pain in the arse to actually climb logistics wise. I'd love to do it, but only for the sweet bat-hang profile pic all the babez will like.

By logistics do you mean being able to work it? If it's just 10m of roof climbing I hope the holds are reasonably obvious. I've never been before but I guess I can always bail to Malham if I don't like the look of it. 

I never went back....

Missed opportunity or rubbish route?

and good to know James!

Three Nine

• forum hero
#5 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 11:11:42 am
If you are afraid of heights, GLM is probably not the route for you. Its in quite a spectacular position!

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#6 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 11:26:53 am
It's an odd one. Not so much heights, more how much rope is dangling beneath me...

Once I get stuck into a good route a lob a few times I'm absolutely fine.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 12:47:36 pm
If you lob a bit far, you will need your trunks on.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 12:59:26 pm
Missed opportunity or rubbish route?

Oh, missed opportunity, for sure.  But one born of general impatience, and inability to ever reproduce first attempt psyche - something which got me up a lot of routes, but made subsequent attempts disappointing, more often than not.

Probably the reason my best on sight and redpoint grades were identical for years, up until the day I finally dragged my reluctant frame up my first (and last) 8a.

And it's been downhill ever since....

Wood FT

• forum hero
#9 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 01:15:05 pm
By logistics do you mean being able to work it? If it's just 10m of roof climbing I hope the holds are reasonably obvious. I've never been before but I guess I can always bail to Malham if I don't like the look of it. 

Dunno didn't tie-on but belayer is tied in on bolts next to a river and you have to back strip it unless you're bear grylls, 39 can correct me as we looked at it together.

Don't bail to Malham, bail 50m to the fantastic routes behind you (Pierrepoint, Cave Routes etc) Gordale is so impressive when you turn the corner on the path and set eyes on it for the first time. It's not stopped being impressive since too.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#10 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 04:47:47 pm
Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like a route a bit out of the ordinary and deffo worth a try then. Won't forget my swimmers  :)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#11 Re: Green Lipped Mussels - Gordale
July 21, 2016, 05:19:51 pm
Don't know if you've seen a picture. From the old guide....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal