UKBouldering.com

Bouldering near Munich - Allgau? (Read 2699 times)

boxmonkey

• regular
Bouldering near Munich - Allgau?
June 11, 2016, 05:47:09 pm
Weather not looking decent on Monday but I'm in the area and wondered if worth a trip to a local crag. I have the Alpen Bloc guide which includes some bouldering areas around Allgau. Anyone have any experience of bouldering in that part of Germany?

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#1 Re: Bouldering near Munich - Allgau?
June 11, 2016, 07:47:53 pm
Weather not looking decent on Monday but I'm in the area and wondered if worth a trip to a local crag. I have the Alpen Bloc guide which includes some bouldering areas around Allgau. Anyone have any experience of bouldering in that part of Germany?

Muenchener is probably your best bet - maybe DM him?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Bouldering near Munich - Allgau?
June 11, 2016, 09:42:36 pm
There's bouldering in Allgäu? News to me.

Weather's generally been atrocious for a couple of weeks; if it's not actually raining it's still possible to find the odd spot of dry rock if you know your way around, but the forecast for Allgäu is heavy showers tomorrow.

I'll be in the wall at Boulderwelt West on Tuesday evening if you're desperate.

boxmonkey

• regular
#3 Re: Bouldering near Munich - Allgau?
June 19, 2016, 11:30:59 pm
Visited Boulderwelt on Monday and Wednesday. Great route setting at both east and west.

The bouldering at Allgua is mentioned here:
http://www.climb-europe.com/RockClimbingGermany/RockClimbingAllgau.html

It's in the Alpen block guide but if you haven't heard of it perhaps it's a good thing I didn't go. If the weather had permitted, where would you have recommended going?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Bouldering near Munich - Allgau?
June 20, 2016, 06:06:02 pm
Tbh I'm more of a route climber than a boulderer, and mostly only go bouldering if I've got no partner and/or not much time to spare. Then generally Kochel or Konstein, both of which are pretty much of locals-only interest. Unless anybody feels like having a crack at Toni Lamprecht's 8C+ candidate.

Lately I've been getting more into Frankenjura bouldering, but that's a bit far for a day trip.

But you inspired me to do a bit of googling, and I discovered that Allgäu bouldering even has its own guidebook. By the same authors as the best of the three Frankenjura definitive guides, no less. And a useful overview website by the same guys.

It's not an area I know at all, but there's all kinds of stuff down there - sport climbing and heaps of alpine multipitch as well. So I should probably go & have look some time. Thanks for the nudge. Glad you enjoyed Boulderwelt.

boxmonkey

• regular
#5 Re: Bouldering near Munich - Allgau?
June 21, 2016, 11:59:55 am
No problem. As I say, the weather forecast was bad last week so I didn't venture down. However I'd be interested to know what you thought of the venues if/when you visit. Next time i'm in Munich I'd be keen to check them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal