UKBouldering.com

Andle Stone Wall loose hold. (Read 2862 times)

Baloo

Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 08, 2016, 05:19:35 pm
Been up to have a look at it today and the shield that you reach up for with your right hand after pulling on has a loose section that's about to detach. It's the bottom left side of the hold that some  folk use their thumb on. Don't have any experience in repairing holds so left it well alone for someone that does.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 09, 2016, 06:45:05 pm
Is it doable without this grip? I'm pretty sure it's difficult to fix loose holds until they've actually come off... I'll have a look tomorrow.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#2 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 09, 2016, 07:57:17 pm
I noticed it the other week. The first good crimp has a bit below it that you can use for your thumb, if it's just that that breaks off it won't effect the grade too much, but if it takes the crimp with it then it will be much harder. I suppose it depends what is left behind after it breaks.

I reckon it will be tricky to repair because it's such a thin flake of rock. Shame.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 09, 2016, 08:13:07 pm
Thumbs anywhere other than over your fingers is cheating anyway.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 09, 2016, 09:07:09 pm
This hold has already broken once. Be good not to lose any more of it as some of us prefer to use our thumbs than fingers.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 10, 2016, 01:53:10 am
I was there with baloo... The rest of the hold seems solid. i dodnt use that bit of the hold so it will still be climable at the same grade just a slightly different hand orientation.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#6 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 10, 2016, 08:00:31 am
Its been like that since the end of Jan at least? I was aware of it feeling loose so just crimped the top. Maybe I should have mentioned but is there anything that can be done on such a small hold?

Baloo

#7 Re: Andle Stone Wall loose hold.
March 10, 2016, 02:33:48 pm
It will still be climbable after it breaks off as the top crimp part of it is much more solid. I used it as a kind of thumb sprag to rock up to the left hand crimp and being a bit of a fatboy put some weight through it. It was always a little bit hollow when you knocked it but is now definitely more mobile and will shatter if someone like me presses it out. It's a great problem so thought I'd best say something in case someone with the knowledge could fix it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal