UKBouldering.com

Knee Pad Options (Read 3585 times)

thirtytwosrule

• regular
Knee Pad Options
February 22, 2016, 11:59:23 pm
So as far as I can see the five ten pad is one size. Having actual thighs I can barely get them on, certainly can't climb properly with it on.

The Send Downgrader would be great but £90 inc shipping seems too much just for a knee pad, does anyone know any other options for the bigger legged fraternity?

Cheers all

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 23, 2016, 01:05:55 pm
Either DIY or ask a resoler to fit a rubber pad to a thigh support of some kind.

Group buy a Send Downgrader or ask a friendly climber visiting the USA to bring one back for you (I'll be out there in Oct) as a 'present'. I've got the Send Mini and I still hate climbing with it on.

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 23, 2016, 01:33:33 pm
Try before you buy. I bought the Send one as the 5.10 seemed too tight. I didn't like the Send one at all, though I know other people do. Maybe it's a hamstring size thing (I have proper legs) but it just didn't sit right and was definitely not a 'knee' pad (fine for thigh bars maybe). I now have a 5.10 which I can just about get on if I'm wearing shorts and I can actually knee bar in it  ;D

thirtytwosrule

• regular
#3 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 23, 2016, 01:36:56 pm
I have tried the 5.10 one on with very thin stretchy trousers and I can barely get it on. I cannot bend my leg properly and it cuts the blood off. That's only using it on a boulder problem as well.

Hopefully try on a send one before forking out that much. That or I will make one.

I am lazy though so will probably buy one.

Just didn't know if there were any other options. Couldn't see any, surprising no one else has made one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

blamo

• addict
#4 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 23, 2016, 02:02:36 pm
I have had fairly good luck with the Rock and Resole knee-pads: http://rockandresole.com/climbing-gear/knee-bar-pads/

I find the 5.10 kneepads to be too stiff in the back and the velcro straps dig in.  The rock and resole knee-pads do require tape. 

dave

#5 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 23, 2016, 02:20:24 pm
Some of you must be fatlegged knackers cos I am not small by any measure and I can get the 5:10 one on fine.

If the straps dig in then unthread them and cross em over at the back. Alo, like any rock shoe they do bed in a bit and soften over time so it's worth sticking with it.

Mumra

#6 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 23, 2016, 05:58:35 pm
Try cutting the back of the 5.10 one. Revelation to some larger thighed gentlemen (and ladies)

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 24, 2016, 02:28:52 pm
Try cutting the back of the 5.10 one. Revelation to some larger thighed gentlemen (and ladies)

Spending £40 on a kneepad and then butchering it basically sums up 5.10s approach to product design / customer care. If anyone else has seen the original proto-pad it looks nothing like the finished version and is much better.

dave

#8 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 24, 2016, 03:04:32 pm
If you don't want to cut the back of the pad you can also fold the elastic bit over and sew it in place. Either way you're still well under the price of the Send one.

thirtytwosrule

• regular
#9 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 24, 2016, 03:33:20 pm
I will have to have a closer look at a 5.10 pad but think I would have to cut it as just slipping it on it is so tight it almost hurts and I can't physically pull it high enough up to be able to then bend my knee properly.

I'm 6'1" ish and just under 14 stone. No real fat on me but over the years I have snowboarded mountain biked and winter climbed a fair bit, all adds bulk to thighs. I'm just amazed they don't do 2 sizes or more of a wrap design like the send pad.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Knee Pad Options
February 24, 2016, 04:21:34 pm
I'm 6ft 2 and 13.5 stone. I do all of the above and still have legs like pipecleaners!

Never tried a kneepad, so thanks for the warning to try before you buy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal