Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Broadband providers
November 10, 2015, 08:45:33 pm
can't see a recent topic on this going back a couple of pages so though I'd start a new one.

Currently got plus-net 70mb unlimited fibre plus phone line for approx £38 a month, had absolutely no issue with this for last couple of years.
Looking at moving to BT for 2 main reasons, BT Wifi hotspots - these seem to be everywhere and BT sports to watch rugby union on.
I can get all that for £33 a month from BT but the fibre is only upto 38mb, am I likely to notice a difference in speed?
Anyone else on BT broadband or got any other recomendations?
Ta

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Broadband providers
November 10, 2015, 10:16:47 pm
Check the upload Jim. We're on c.40mb dl on talktalk but the ul is capped at c.1.8mb and it makes the difference for me saving a chunk o stuff on the cloud etc... We're on £30 month btw unlimited. They're shit. But serviceably shit.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Broadband providers
November 11, 2015, 10:12:16 am
Heard nothing good about BT. We are on BT at work and it is slow up and unreliable.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#3 Re: Broadband providers
November 11, 2015, 10:46:44 am
Stick with plusnet mate. I was with BT and moved to plusnet, everything is better so far. Which is funny really, considering they're a subsidiary of BT. I even got a cheque for £75 for moving to them, which I have cashed and spent.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#4 Re: Broadband providers
November 11, 2015, 10:54:24 am
really? what speed broadband are/were you on?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#5 Re: Broadband providers
November 11, 2015, 12:22:38 pm
BT hooked me in about 2 years ago (18 month contract) with promises of speeds of 12mb, which never materialised. Was getting maybe 7 at best I reckon. My move to Plusnet may well have coincided with the exchange getting upgraded, but I'm now getting a much more respectable 19mb download. Everything about Plusnet has been better, all the communications etc, switch over service was seamless. BT can go fucking whistle, they're too big for their own good, don't give a shite about existing customers and generally piss me off.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#6 Re: Broadband providers
November 11, 2015, 04:55:00 pm
You know you can get BT sport on plusnet? https://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/

If you're bothered about the cost you could downgrade to the 38mb speed and save a few quid. Doubt BT will be cheaper in the long run.

andyh

• stalker
#7 Re: Broadband providers
November 12, 2015, 08:08:32 pm
If you're not bothered about cost then we recently switched from BT to Zen - https://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-office-broadband.aspx

Small UK company, great customer service, much better speeds than BT and never dropped once, BT used to drop all the time.

Yeah we're paying more, but everything's so smooth we won't be switching for a long time so no comparison website time-wasting to find the latest deal, and we're supporting a smaller business rather than an uncaring, unethical, multi-media behemoth, so happy karma all round.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Broadband providers
December 24, 2015, 08:41:57 am
www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk

I can now ditch Virgin Media, the only Fibre provider available since the demise of the Digital Region and return to PlusNet :clap2:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Broadband providers
December 27, 2015, 08:01:58 pm
the only Fibre provider available since the demise of the Digital Region
I guess this is very postcode/exchange dependent. As you know Neil I was also on Origin via Digital Region but when D.R. was discontinued I was ported to a "prioritised" (i.e. no traffic shaping) TalkTalk fibre line, which has been great (though I have to use the standard workarounds for certain p2p sites).

I still have much love for (and would thoroughly recommend) Origin Broadband because of their top-notch support which is from their very knowledgeable people in Donny and not a call centre who don't really have any idea regarding tech issues and are just reading from scripts and delegating.

That said, come renewal time I'll be having a good look at SuperfastSouthYorkshire.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Broadband providers
December 28, 2015, 08:39:10 am
Yeah I really liked Origin, like you say, their tech support actually knew what they were talking about and you could have productive help from them rather than being read a script.  Although to be fair to Virgin they've not been too bad on the tech support front, although they are messing around hiking up their prices again.

I didn't actually sign up to PlusNet the other day as I wanted to check whether the Zyxel router I have (from Origin originally) would work with their service.  Unsurprisingly the Sales person didn't understand the question*.  I was going to switch today but after reading your post it looks like Origin are able to use the SuperFastSouthYorkshire as they now provide a service to my address when previously they hadn't.  I always wondered why after running fibre to the boxes no one else took up maintaining them. :2thumbsup:

Could be worth seeing if you can switch back to Origin too   

* Me : "Will my ADSL/2/+ VDSL/2 router work with your service?  What protocol do you use?"

PlusNet : "No its fibre"

Me : "Oh so you're laying a fibre cable to my house then?"

PlusNet : "No its fibre to the box."

Me : "Ok so its coming through the copper cable then, do you use VDSL2?"

PlusNet : "We recommend you buy a new router from us."

Me :  :wall: :wall: :wall:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:48:40 am by slackline »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#11 Re: Broadband providers
December 28, 2015, 01:18:40 pm
we have a openreach VDSL modem that I could do with getting rid of and intergrating into a router on our PlusNet fibre.
Not sure if its VDSL or VDSL2 tho.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal