UKBouldering.com

The Locals, Wicked New bouldering movie form JACKY GODOFFE (Read 18165 times)

dave

cue mass hysteria:

Rampage is fucking amazing. probably the best bouldering video of all time, so far. i just remember buying it one summer and was just so psyched for everything. i was recomended it by a very trad route kinda person who said it was amazing.
its just very well shot, great footage, great locations, great music and extramley well produced. its basically psyched condensed into a 9"x6" plastic box, filled a gaping hole in the market at the time and hit the popular bouldering explosion right on the head. word!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Gotta agree with you there Dave. Rampage is the only thing guaranteed to get me outta the house to train when I can't really be arsed. Even just watching the opening bit.

Obe is irritating tho (and is probably the only bad thing about that film) and is just as bad in real life evidently..............

AndyR

• forum hero
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"
Quote from: "jonP"
Has nobody else (apart from Sloper) noticed that Stick It is terrible?

I have to say i was mighty disapointed when it first arrived through the post - not sure what i was expecting but it wasn't what i got. Although i've warmed to it since then (a bit at least)

Still find Rampage too damn annoying to bother with (Obe can't half come across as one irritating bloke) - can't understand the mass hysteria surrounding it

Find rampage better than stick-it.  SI would have been much improved if they'd invested in a tripod, edited out Ben Moons incessant whinging and got rid of tedious traverse sequences - I liked the variety of places though - I'm sure it's a better film if you climb on grit and know or are mates with some of the people in it.

I actually found Obe Wan Kanobis screams and yells quite entertaining though - now de rigeur to yell "c'mon squeeeeeeze" just as people are trying to concentrate........

jonP

• obsessive maniac
Quote from: "AndyR"
I actually found Obe Wan Kanobis screams and yells quite entertaining though - now de rigeur to yell "c'mon squeeeeeeze" just as people are trying to concentrate........

The Irish Bouldering Team are probably the loudest people I've ever heard at a crag - you lot make Obe seem positively quiet!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I quite like Stick It, as it shows the sheer diversity of what is available on this little island of ours. I showed it to an american mate, who has most of the vids/DVDs and he thought it was excellent.

Quote from: "dave"
still good though - the only really wank bits are the bowderstone and the dartmoor stuff.

As far as I know they were restricted a bit on Dartmoor, due to F&M and crappy weather in the Lakes. Pity really as it is a bit imbalanced. Also a bit annoying how they jump back and forth from area to area.

I can't think of one video where Moon doesn't come across as a bit of a knob; Stick It, Hard Grit, Stone Love, etc

SA Chris

• forum hero
I quite like Stick It, as it shows the sheer diversity of what is available on this little island of ours. I showed it to an american mate, who has most of the vids/DVDs and he thought it was excellent.

still good though - the only really wank bits are the bowderstone and the dartmoor stuff.

As far as I know they were restricted a bit on Dartmoor, due to F&M and crappy weather in the Lakes. Pity really as it is a bit imbalanced. Also a bit annoying how they jump back and forth from area to area.

I can't think of one video where Moon doesn't come across as a bit of a knob; Stick It, Hard Grit, Stone Love, etc

AndyR

• forum hero
Quote from: "jonP"

The Irish Bouldering Team are probably the loudest people I've ever heard at a crag - you lot make Obe seem positively quiet!

The craic is mighty powerful to be sure, ah go on, ye will have a cup of tea, go on, go on, go on etc.

squeek

• junky
Quote from: "a dense loner"
i would like to point out this is squeeks opinion :lol:

What's wrong with consumed?  I was including all the routes when I said 'problems'.  I reckon that St Bees video on the Beard Owner web site is great too..  wonder why.  ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
There's some great bits in Consumed. Dan H on Gaia is one of the most palm-sweaty bits of climbing footage I've ever seen.

dave

the dartmoor bit just comes across as a bit of a token gesture, as if they thought they had to go there but wern't really that arsed about it. basically just got a local to path some things for the camera, theres no sense of difficulty and basically no interest whatsoever. i've bee told that half the stuf fon the segment is desperate problems, but you don't get that impression fro the video, it could all be HVS for all we know. and the bowderstone bit does that crag a great injustice.

Quote from: "SA Chris"

real thing?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
the dartmoor bit just comes across as a bit of a token gesture,

Worst bit of the video...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Consumed is class, my favourite climbing video. Much grittier and down to earth than Hard Grit at al, which makes it easier to relate to. Loads of classic moments and very entertaining commentary too. Just really inspiring stuff....

When I tried to play mine the other night, it got about 3/4 of the way through and then kept pausing  :(  :x  :evil: ....I'm hoping that was excess heat/humidity/dust in my DVD drive as the PC's usually permanently on. If the DVD is b0rked, I'll probably cry!

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
i think stick it is pretty shit overall. shoot me down, but i really like The Real Thing. the commentary makes u wanna commit suicide but i think its much better filmed and edited than stick it. but the best bouldering vid has gotta be Tour de Blocs. i fuckin love it. in fact i'm gonna go and watch it right now.

oh and the worst is friction addiction. the worst £18 i have spent in my life. its just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shit :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

dave

Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
but the best bouldering vid has gotta be Tour de Blocs. i fuckin love it.

you're fucking shitting me right? tour de blocs is probably the worst bouldering vid ever, second only to One Summer. its totally crap. the only good points is theres occaisionally a decent tune on the soundtrack, jacky GODoffe, and lebreton doing noir desire, the rest is crap, and more to the point extremley boring. Boring boring boring. should be called Tour De Boring. who wants to hear some tripped-out californian "denzel dexter" style voiceover of font. "some of the young guys have a more aggressive style,.....julian nadires is a young guy with a lot of energy etc etc". also pisses me off that is was filmed in the middle of summer, which is why a lot of the footage is at some kinda god awful summer-mono crag, instead of the real crags.

bascially it fails to grasp any of the reasons why font is so great, instead it tries to paint it up as some kind of spaced-out cali-hippy vibe place. go watch Bleau intsead its so much better.

SA Chris

• forum hero
http:/bloc (or whatever its called).is my fave font video. Quick action, bit of fun, some big falls.

jimbo

• addict
I think we are all forgetting about the masters of stone trilogy. My favourite being masters of stone 4. Extreme behaviour set to a home recorded rock sound track. Some gnarly old dude even climbs half way up a boulder in joshua tree gets in a hands off position and starts playing his guitar.

dave

i've only ever seen one MOS, think it was MOS4 - if thats the one with dan osman speedlcimbing a HVS in under a minute or whatever then yes its entertaining in a totally different kind of way to other videos. also its got him climbing up a waterfall (not frozen) in a wetsuite and ixe axes - fucking mentalist. also got sharma aged 7 at castle rock?

jimbo

• addict
No dave, MOS4 has Dan Osman soling loads of pretty out there stuff. No waterfall as far as i can remember. He does do a fuckin massive bridge jump at the end, over 400 feet if i remember correctly.

dave

this is the one i've seen:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
you're fucking shitting me right? tour de blocs is probably the worst bouldering vid ever, second only to One Summer. its totally crap. the only good points is theres occaisionally a decent tune on the soundtrack, jacky GODoffe, and lebreton doing noir desire, the rest is crap, and more to the point extremley boring. Boring boring boring. should be called Tour De Boring. who wants to hear some tripped-out californian "denzel dexter" style voiceover of font. "some of the young guys have a more aggressive style,.....julian nadires is a young guy with a lot of energy etc etc". also pisses me off that is was filmed in the middle of summer, which is why a lot of the footage is at some kinda god awful summer-mono crag, instead of the real crags.

bascially it fails to grasp any of the reasons why font is so great, instead it tries to paint it up as some kind of spaced-out cali-hippy vibe place. go watch Bleau intsead its so much better

:cry:

i really liked but i've never been to font so wouldn't have a clue what its like. i personally think its great and didn't think the commentary was that bad. there's shit loads of hard problems climbed and it makes the place look very beautiful.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I thought TDB was ok, certainly watchable,  but not as good as Bleau.

jimbo

• addict
word. I was thinking of masters of stone 2.
Classic of its genre.[/img]

cofe

• forum hero
Quote from: "jimbo"
I think we are all forgetting about the masters of stone trilogy. My favourite being masters of stone 4.

so, how many were there in the trilogy.... :?

TOURS DE BLOCS IS SHIT.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
It's just hard to make a bouldering film that everyone likes I guess - is there one?

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Quote from: "cofe"
so, how many were there in the trilogy.... :?

five

i had the (somewhat dubious) pleasure of ending up sat next to one of the stars of No. 2 on a Bangkok - Krabi flight (Dan Macquade). He was an 'interesting' character to say the least................

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal