UKBouldering.com

Albarracin in February? (Read 24836 times)

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
Albarracin in February?
October 01, 2015, 09:59:42 pm
Was thinking or going to albarracon in February, is this a good idea? Can't seem to find the info online though somewhere it seemed to suggest there was a yearly ban fron dec to April.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#1 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 01:39:10 am
I hope not. I was planning to spend a month there this winter...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 03:55:55 am
You'll fit right in Haydn :ras:

rodma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 06:47:01 am
You'll fit right in Haydn :ras:
Does he have bongos and a didgeridoo or summit?

chris20

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 08:54:36 am
Was thinking or going to albarracon in February, is this a good idea? Can't seem to find the info online though somewhere it seemed to suggest there was a yearly ban fron dec to April.

I thought most of the bans on certain areas was January to August   

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 08:58:29 am
Have you not seen him rodma? After his shit at the Boulder he could wipe his arse with his dreads!

haydn jones

• forum hero
#6 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 12:03:02 pm
What a disguing mental image I now have.   :shit: :sick:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 12:07:29 pm
Tellin me, I had to picture it first! I don't know what goes on in my head sometimes! Right I'm off to sand some mono's

rodma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 01:13:00 pm
Have you not seen him rodma? After his shit at the Boulder he could wipe his arse with his dreads!

if that said rat's tail rather than dreads it'd be better. haydn, any chance you could spanish yourself before your trip for ukb's collective entertainment. you're guaranteed (not by me) to climb four grades harder with only a giant biffer for a warmup

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 01:14:55 pm
Right I'm off to sand some mono's

is that a euphemism?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 02:31:09 pm
I originally put rats tails but changed it to dreads for fear of offending him

T_B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 02:44:52 pm
Right I'm off to sand some mono's

is that a euphemism?

Yeah, for changing a nappy :lol:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 04:13:42 pm
That's shit!

JohnM

• junky
#13 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 05:17:59 pm
I went to Albarracin in February once.  It was perfect bouldering conditions everyday but there were a lot of crusties smoking weed and shitting everywhere.  I observed one group sat around in one of the most popular areas and one them got up from the group and moved 5 yards away before dropping his kecks and crimping off a massive chorizo while carrying on his conversation with the rest of the group.  Albarracin is a crucible of bad climbing practice with over brushing, huge donkey lines, litter, fag ends and the bushes waving their white toilet paper flags in surrender to an army of shitting crusties.

cha1n

• forum hero
#14 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 05:51:41 pm
I was there once in December and that was too warm in the sun, I'd imagine that it'd be scorchio in Feb as I was in Font by then and it was pretty warm there.

I am a conditions snob though.

EDIT* Depending on how long you're there, there'd still be plenty to do during the bans. If you like roof climbing, La Peninsula would be missed as it's effected by the ban. Albarracin is good but it's no Font.

cha1n

• forum hero
#15 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 02, 2015, 06:13:02 pm
I hope not. I was planning to spend a month there this winter...

You should have flew to Valencia first and gone to Albarracin before Font Haydn (I'm assuming you're going to Font first as you said you're flying to Paris on facebook).

rodma

• forum hero
#16 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:04:37 am
I went to Albarracin in February once.  It was perfect bouldering conditions everyday but there were a lot of crusties smoking weed and shitting everywhere.  I observed one group sat around in one of the most popular areas and one them got up from the group and moved 5 yards away before dropping his kecks and crimping off a massive chorizo while carrying on his conversation with the rest of the group.  Albarracin is a crucible of bad climbing practice with over brushing, huge donkey lines, litter, fag ends and the bushes waving their white toilet paper flags in surrender to an army of shitting crusties.

"crimping off a massive chorizo"  :D

That was my general experience of the place too. Shame, the landscape is really beautiful.

dave

#17 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:07:57 am

"crimping off a massive chorizo"  :D

That was my general experience of the place too. Shame, the landscape is really beautiful.

Ditto.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#18 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:14:27 am
Couple of questions guys?

Could you just pitch up there on your own and stay at the campsite? Do they hire mats of any usefulness? Would you need a car?

Thanks

rodma

• forum hero
#19 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:22:53 am
I don't know about pads, but if you can get there it is definitely possible to walk to the areas as long as you don't mind longish walks

filz

• addict
#20 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:27:01 am

Do they hire mats of any usefulness? Would you need a car?

Book the mats in advance to have better one... Or so I've been told :-) .
When I was there last year we booked 3 mats at the camping. One was good and fairly new, one so and so, one pretty useless.

You'll need a car. The main boulder areas are some kilometers from the camping.
There should be an area near the camping, but if I remember correctly it is one of the closed areas in winter.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#21 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:54:00 am
Cheers guys very helpful.

Don't like sound of the toilet paper scenario much. Any recommended/ cleaner areas? Ideally one with lots of mid 6s and another with lots of low 7s :)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#22 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 09:57:27 am
Font, avoiding Cuvier

filz

• addict
#23 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 11:24:40 am
We climbed in arrastradero, la fuente, peninsula, techos and parking.
Parking aside the other areas weren't so filthy. Still full of "crusties smoking weed" :-) .

In all areas you have a lot of problems in the 6s and 7s.
Having to choose I'd suggest Techos and Arrastradero which is the biggest one.
La peninsula is beautiful for the view, but it will be closed in February. However if you have time off climbing go and take a look. It's worth the short hiking.

My impression is if you go to the farthest areas they are in better conditions.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Albarracin in February?
October 03, 2015, 11:29:54 am
Couple of questions guys?

Could you just pitch up there on your own and stay at the campsite? Do they hire mats of any usefulness? Would you need a car?

Thanks

A friend and I are staying in a van in the car park at Albarracín at the the moment, and really enjoying it.

Sofa Boulder in Albarracin will hire out mats - everyone I've spoken to in there speaks good English - and the mats look like they are of good quality.

It would be a fairly miserable walk from the  campsite to the boulders every day - and I'm not sure how easy it is to get to Albarracin without a car.

There is a lot of toilet paper around, though I haven't seen any directly around any boulders - and I haven't seen any human poo around.

A bunch (all?) of the sectors that were previously seasonally restricted are now fully closed (Psicokiller, Península + some more). There's still loads of climbing open though, and loads in the 6s to low 7s.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal