UKBouldering.com

Terrace property conversions - Sheffield (Read 18960 times)

kelvin

• forum hero
fiddling with the "tracking"

I'd clean forgotten about that nonsense.

I still call an ATM - Speedbank   :yes:

petejh

• forum hero
What is useful advice if that isn't then? The question was aimed at buying a house, unfortunately you're not going to be able to buy a house on happiness alone. Not only that you're aiming your arrows at the person who's probably in the best position to give advice on the subject matter.

The question was about what a loft conversion costs and Shark answered it in the second post. Since then the thread has gone around the houses as usual.

Useful advice? Fuck knows, apart from learn French and move (while renting out your house back in the uk for a little earner).

a dense loner

• forum hero
Thats probably not the worst idea you've had  ;) it's of no use to cha1n though since he can't buy a house, so not useful at all really  :P However I watched some programme yesterday morning where they went to look at 3 houses in rural France, all for under 200k and all outrageously good in beautiful locations! Your money appeared to go a very long way

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
went to look at 3 houses in rural France

as a grape grower or lavender farmer?

tomtom

• forum hero

went to look at 3 houses in rural France

as a grape grower or lavender farmer?

Budding life coach ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
Farming country. You'd only move there to pass out your remaining years, a bit like moving to Dudno or Stoney you wouldn't do it while you've got your health

petejh

• forum hero
Ha! The only reason I can see for moving to South Yorkshire is to be able to car-share with a load of other people trying desperately to get to North Yorkshire and N.Wales at every opportunity.  :icon_321:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Cha1n, if you do buy a house and do some significant work on it, I'd like to express an interest in buying it off you in accordance with your preferred non-greedy price scheme

thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Your money appeared to go a very long way

France isn't that far away?

cha1n

• forum hero
I'll get in touch lager. x

a dense loner

• forum hero
Closer than Aberdeen Chris  :tease:

a dense loner

• forum hero
Back on topic anyway cha1n, this hasn't been mentioned on the thread (I think) but as a 1st time buyer you're in a much better position if you've already got a mortgage in principal. Ie you've already found a mortgage provider who says they'll loan you whatever, say 120k. This will typically last for 3 mths, so you can go and look at as many houses as you want knowing you've already got the offer of a mortgage. If you're only "having a look around" it's not worth doing it but if you're serious about buying a house it's definitely worth it. Some houses the agent won't even let you see the property unless you've got this, or other proof that you're in a position to buy the property

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Closer than Aberdeen Chris  :tease:

Fuck load cheaper too, no doubt.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Tell me about it! You're lucky you don't have to get hotels there!!!

cha1n

• forum hero
Blimey dense, I useful and on topic post - are you feeling OK?

Thanks for that info, I'd already read up on MIP and am likely to sort one out any day now. I'm just in two minds as to whether I should bother with a broker at this stage as it seems straight-forward enough to work out what deals are good without one but I'm going to do a bit of googling before I decide on that.

To be fair the only on topic and useful post was Shark's one where he told me the costs of the conversions I asked about! The rest of it has just been entertaining banter really.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I only mentioned it to stop you asking more questions  ;)

For the sake of £400 for the biggest payout of your life I think you'd be daft not to go to someone who knows their onions. If you go straight to a bank they'll give you their deals, a FA, mortgage broker whatever you want to call them will have different deals with the same bank etc etc

Paul B

• forum hero
Thanks for that info, I'd already read up on MIP and am likely to sort one out any day now. I'm just in two minds as to whether I should bother with a broker at this stage as it seems straight-forward enough to work out what deals are good without one but I'm going to do a bit of googling before I decide on that.

For 0.5% better rate, (than I could get elsewhere including my existing provider) 50% off the mortgage arrangement fee plus general advice, all for 48FAs, I think so.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
we had a MIP from HSBC - gave them all our details very accurately -  when we went in to actually get the mortgage to buy the house they said they wouldn't lend us anything at all

cha1n

• forum hero
That sounds great Paul, shame that guy isn't active any more but shows what brokers are capable of I suppose and great value.

Funny largers, I was thinking of going to them for a MIP as they seem to have the best fixed deal on a 90% LTV at the moment. As long as it gives a buyer confidence to accept your offer, I suppose it's worth doing.

T_B

• forum hero
You're just as likely to find someone who says don't bother with a broker.

One of my best mates is an FA and he told me last September (when we needed to re-mortgage having built an extension) to apply direct to the big high street lenders. He did give me the lowdown on who to apply to and who not to bother with.

I always have that sense with brokers that you're never quite sure if they're really getting you the best product for you (or them). There are plenty of good websites out there to research the best products. Make a short list and make some appointments. I quite enjoyed the 'old skool' nature of sitting down face-to-face with the person I was about to commit to borrowing a vast sum from.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If you have the time and your financial affairs are straightforward then the DIY approach is worth a go to save you the fee and be an education. In general I am in favour of doing it myself as I have my best interests at heart. It is only recently I have used a broker.

There used to be a Government website that had the listings of all the current deals available in the UK so you could find the cheapest mortgage available but it got privatised and doesn't do the listing anymore   >:(

I have spent a few minutes looking for another source but no joy. Wad point for anyone who can find one..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Funny largers, I was thinking of going to them for a MIP as they seem to have the best fixed deal on a 90% LTV at the moment. As long as it gives a buyer confidence to accept your offer, I suppose it's worth doing.

if your income and finances are pretty straight forward - ie. all income from one employer, no other loans, no businesses to run - then they should be fine to deal with

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I got my mortgage with HSBC - decent rate tracker and straight-forward.  It helped though that I had a decent deposit and was seen as pretty a low risk of default.  As I recall, they had some kind of rating system that governed the interest rate they would offer me, which happened to chime with my circumstances - I banked with them already and had done for a long time (so they presumably knew first hand my relative outgoings / income), no debts, reasonable job, they also liked my having a company car (so less outgoings) and that my company health plan would pay up a decent whack if I was incapacitated.  Presumably other banks have something similar - so if you also have any of the above it might be worth playing up on it.

cha1n

• forum hero
I did think the financial side of things would be fine but I just found out from my partner that she had £8 left in her account before she got paid today!  :wall:

I noticed that candle holder style, pointless decor had increased significantly this month but never dreamed she'd let her account get this low when we're trying to get a mortgage - what a moron!

a dense loner

• forum hero
What are you trying to buy? A Lego house?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal