UKBouldering.com

The Decline and Fall of UKB (Read 30688 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#125 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 13, 2019, 11:08:34 am
I’m currently in remission from climbing due to other commitments but still check in daily to see what’s up. 

Like others have already said, UKB is a great forum - the culture, news, science and politics threads are a source of inspiration and interest. I like to do my bit by contributing or commenting from time to time.

I’ve met several lifelong friends via the forum and go to know loads of other great people too.

I’d like Dan to come back as Dan and contribute without censoring himself

I just hope he’s OK and hope you are too Will.

+1
In all respects, except my injury is resolved and I’m trying to climb again.

Dan, if you’re reading, I wasn’t just injured. That and some difficulty at work and home, sent me into a deep depression over last Autumn. This lead to almost total inactivity and a weight gain of around 12kg.
Mental health issues affect almost all of us, whether we admit it or not; to varying degrees and it burns me greatly to think you have been driven off by our criticism. You contributed quite a bit of interesting and funny content. You just had a bit of a brain dump. Many of us have done similar, on here. Let Dan come back, he’s worth way more than you give him credit for.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#126 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 13, 2019, 01:45:51 pm
Another hoping for Dan's return (with the volume turned down a bit)... for those who don't like his stuff it's not a requirement to read eveything . It does good for someone to shake things up a bit occasionally, lest UKB, which is argualbly a bit too male, elite clique, risk becoming fossilised (the site set-up, moderation and populace mitigates against new things becoming nasty, as it can be at times on t'other channel).  The site success is well measured by the sense in which those who left are missed: just like families and groups of close friends, good people come and go.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#127 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 13, 2019, 09:29:14 pm
This is the first time I've checked UKB over the weekend to see how a thread was going in bloody ages which I reckon says something!

I hope Dan's posts will have a regenerating effect not disimilar to what the "capital of culture" awards have done in Liverpool and Hull etc

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#128 Re: The Decline and Fall of UKB
July 13, 2019, 10:33:51 pm
I've been a bit put off from checking in here for a while due to the low grade angst experiment. I've no problem with people putting stuff on here that's controversial and frankly, I don't mind people being frank about their opinions even if it causes insult.

I reckon what would be a bit more refreshing for this forum is a bit of brutal honesty. I hope the karma system hasn't contributed to people being unwilling to say things on their mind.

Or perhaps the intended result of dans experiment is what we are experiencing now that it's over, a self reflecting get together which will help shape the future of the forum..................

nah I wouldn't give him that much credit either.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal