UKBouldering.com

Partners wanted July 20th-Sept 2nd (Anywhere) (Read 2882 times)

TheTwig

• stalker
Hi all,

I posted this on the other channel as well as so hoping that a few people will bite and make my summer. If I don't get something sorted out, does anyone have any recommendations for the 'best' place in the UK to go for a wide variety of bouldering? I bought the Boulder Britain book which looks pretty good, just waiting for it in the post.

I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to take most of the summer off work and I'm looking for partners for a few trips, trad and/or sport climbing. I'm confident at leading E1/2 and 6b and I'm happy to climb with people climbing slightly higher or lower than that.

I'm looking to string together a few trips and climb for most of the summer in a few different locations (weather permitting). I have double ropes, huge rack of gear and enough psych to put the duracell bunny to shame

I've been to Snowdonia and the Wye Valley a fair bit and know my way around those areas, I'm happy to go back to either of those, or pretty much anywhere else in the UK. I would love to visit the lakes, swanage, fairy cave quarry, or a visit to Ireland/Scotland/France, though that might be a bit ambitious.

Potential dates (fairly flexible on these)
July 20th-28th
August 3rd-11th
August 17th-September 2nd

If you would like to go on an adventure with me somewhere and have a few days or a week somewhere drop a message here or PM me : )

Cheers,

Sachi

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If you make it up to Scotland, give me a holler. I've not got much free time, but can see what I can do.

TheTwig

• stalker
I live south of London but that's not necessarily off the cards, especially if I don't get a good response  :lol: super keen for some adventures, hopefully everyone else is too! I'll let you know buddy  ;D

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
School holidays Mr Twig? You are welvome to give me a shout if headed Peakward.

tomtom

• forum hero
School holidays Mr Twig? You are welvome to give me a shout if headed Peakward.

I'm about most of that time - but only for a (partial) day trip etc.. Peak or S.Lakes no problem...

TheTwig

• stalker
Unfortunately one of my jobs is a swimming teacher, making it a real PITA to get time off term-time, so I'm taking advantage of the impending holidays :) I was hoping there were lots of unemployed bums just waiting to pounce on the chance to go on a trip somewhere  :lol: If enough people have a day or two here or there I might be able to go on some kind of rolling whistle stop tour of britain. Ha ha. If nothing else I can always head to the peak and do some soloing/bouldering :)

Jon and Tom I'll give you a shout when I work out my plans, cheers for the offers  :beer2:

tomtom

• forum hero
Unfortunately one of my jobs is a swimming teacher, making it a real PITA to get time off term-time, so I'm taking advantage of the impending holidays :) I was hoping there were lots of unemployed bums just waiting to pounce on the chance to go on a trip somewhere  :lol: If enough people have a day or two here or there I might be able to go on some kind of rolling whistle stop tour of britain. Ha ha. If nothing else I can always head to the peak and do some soloing/bouldering :)

Jon and Tom I'll give you a shout when I work out my plans, cheers for the offers  :beer2:

No probs. I'm Manchester based, so if you want to head to Cheshire, Lancs or Peak no problem..

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
If you need sport climbing partners for Yorkshire and the Peak, these facebook groups are good (you have to get approved though):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174169532632832/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/179268922138240/

TheTwig

• stalker
If you need sport climbing partners for Yorkshire and the Peak, these facebook groups are good (you have to get approved though):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174169532632832/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/179268922138240/

Thanks Moose, I'm really hoping to get a a few trips of up to a week strung together but it's more than likely I'll end up cramming in lots of days with a bunch of people. I'll post in those groups a bit closer to end of July. Is there alot of good lower grade (6-7) sport climbing up North? I have this notion of it all being ridiculously hard. I blame youtube  :lol:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Malham sport effectively starts at 7a (the very few easier climbs climb out of the toilet spots!) with plenty of choice at every grade there and above (Consenting & Rose Coronary 7a; Free and Even Easier & Appetite & Yosemite Wall at 7a+; Something Stupid & 7th Aardvark & Wasted Youth at 7b; Space Race & Obsession at 7b+). 

Kilnsey has a couple of awkward 6s (Directissima & Open Road / Highway 365) but the quality really starts at 7b (Wysiwyg, Sticky Wicket). 

Both crags are stellar and well worth a few days, if only to drink in the atmosphere - peregrines swooping around the great bowl of Malham, the looming steepness of Kilnsey North Buttress.  The main problem for visitors who climb in the lower grades is getting warmed up - even the Malham crag warm-up, Consenting, is very technical and sequency and good beta from a passing local is pretty essential (if you are used to steep Euro lime it will come as a shock).  And as for Kilnsey, I tend to just warm-up by getting my clips into my day's project (stick clipping and pulling on draws to avoid anything too tweaky early on).  Basically, imho, both crags are better appreciated by RPing a valued challenge than just trying (and invariably failing!) to tick off lots of poorer but easier routes.

For easier stuff, Giggleswick is meant to have a lot (though never really explored it personally).  Trow Gill and Trollers Gill have plenty of worthwhile routes in the 6s and low 7s (Trow needs a good while to dry out and has a longish walk in by sport crag standards).  Another option once the bird ban is over is Chapel Head Scar - possibly the greatest depth at 6c-7b of any of the Northern England crags and a nice atmosphere.

TheTwig

• stalker
So I got a really good response from all over the internet and hopefully my crazy summer will go something like this:

London > Fairy Cave Quarry/Bristol area (1 week) > Portland (1 week) > Snowdonia (2 weeks) > Swanage (1 week) > 1 unplanned week  :lol: Cheers for all the advice/offers guys!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal