UKBouldering.com

Cloud Storage on an unreliable internet connection (Read 2765 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
The company I'm working for at the moment insists on using ibackup to send files out from the office. On the, shall we say, intermittent internet connections we tend to have offshore on the boats and rigs this tends to be an absolute nightmare, as it seems to be very prone to giving up a download at the faintest whiff of a dropped connection and you have to start again from the beginning. For example, on a not hugely slow connection I've tried and failed 6 times this morning to download one 3Mb file...

Can anyone recommend a cloud solution that has a more robust approach to downloading? Something that if the connection drops halfway through can merrily continue from where it left off, in the manner of the old ftp sites. Or is this download problem a function of using Chrome as the browser and switching to a different browser would help?

Any thoughts/advice/knowledge appreciated.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Dropbox. Bombproof. Just works, unlike everything apple makes now.

chris j

• forum abuser
I'm going to ask stupid questions now thinking about the practicality of how it works...

I have my own personal Dropbox, which like you say is great for keeping itself synched over time. For work, presumably the guys in the office would need to share a project folder with me? In which case does that get added to my Dropbox in Favourites and stay permanently updated, or do I have to go to the website through the shared link and work through there? (if that's the case I have the same problem as with ibackup - I tried a test download of one of my dropbox files from the website and it failed in the same way).

tomtom

• forum hero
in dropbox you can share a folder with other dropbox users - or make a common folder that those with DB can see through their main DB folder.. no need for web interfaces etc.. (as long as they have the DB software on their machine)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
in dropbox you can share a folder with other dropbox users - or make a common folder that those with DB can see through their main DB folder.. no need for web interfaces etc.. (as long as they have the DB software on their machine)

:agree:

Ditch using http (i.e. web-pages) for this.

chris j

• forum abuser
or make a common folder that those with DB can see through their main DB folder.. no need for web interfaces etc..

That sounds spot on. I should go and read a user guide to see how you set that up as my dropbox experience doesn't stretch got beyond sharing individual files.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
or make a common folder that those with DB can see through their main DB folder.. no need for web interfaces etc..

That sounds spot on. I should go and read a user guide to see how you set that up as my dropbox experience doesn't stretch got beyond sharing individual files.

Its exactly the same, you just select a folder to share instead of an individual file.

tomtom

• forum hero

Its exactly the same, you just select a folder to share instead of an individual file.

Its piss - make the folder, right click it and sharing should be one of the options etc.. follow your nose its easy...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree: Use dropbox all the time now and even total luddite clients seem to be able to manage to share stuff using it.

chris j

• forum abuser
Thanks all, much appreciated!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal