UKBouldering.com

The climbing scene in Sheffield (split topic) (Read 27398 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
Even Lee Anderson believes Malc and he's doesn't believe anyone.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Good split shark. Can people stop talking shit pls, there's a few crossed wires going on

tomtom

• forum hero
Any news on the film? ;)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Good split shark. Can people stop talking shit pls, there's a few crossed wires going on

Yes there certainly are!

I think my comments have been read completely out of context.

Malc is a top, top, bloke

Super great guy

:boxing:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

throwing crossed wires into a pond makes pretty patterns even if it doesn't make a wave

sorry about the uniform, Dense

I honestly thought that cap wouldn't be too big

tomtom

• forum hero
Epilettes? (Please)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
certainly

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
ceremonial sword and battle bling?

tomtom

• forum hero
I think a fuck off big mean mofo gun would suffice. (That leaves rock unharmed in case any rounds go stray).

I have a plan to situate electrodes underneath all the boulders at Plantation so when it is wet all those trying problems will be electrocuted. Could this be part of the treatment package?

rich d

• forum hero
Nib's new uniform?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Nice.

What were the medals for?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
dead hangs obviously

cha1n

• forum hero
Temporarily getting back to the original topic, I must admit that since moving to Sheffield, it's been tricky to get into any groups to climb. I expected lots of northern friendliness that I'd heard about but I've barely met any northerners at the wall. It seems like people only go to the works in massive groups or on thier own to climb on the woody.

It's a good job Mark Rankine works at my place or I probably would have not met anyone else to climb with since moving here 8 months ago!

tomtom

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero

dead hangs obviously

It's a cunning training method - the better at dead hangs you get the more metalwork you wear - which makes the hangs harder! Perfect sense.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I expected lots of northern friendliness that I'd heard about but I've barely met any northerners at the wall.

:-\

psychomansam

• forum hero
No.

My own experience is that there are more than the national average amount of posers in the Foundry and Works, and that the Works especially can feel less than welcoming at times. (The desk staff are often better at climbing than peopling.)
That said, the other walls don't have so many posers, and there are friendly people everywhere if you're friendly yourself. I enjoy trips to all said walls. One of my favourite moments in the Works was exchanging 'do I know you?' glances with someone before realising I'd given them a shoulder massage in the Three Stags while pissed a month or two beforehand.
The Matrix is, I think, often friendlier, being more of a 'local' and small wall, but it's all subjective. Everywhere will feel more friendly once you get to know some people. Bigger places can make that a bit harder.

tomtom

• forum hero
THE climbing scene obviously revolves around Judge Lagers and his group of climbing enforcers (with epaulettes)

Here he is advising someone on the correct method for abdominal exercises... (is that Doylo?)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
I'd be careful otherwise the 'sheffield scene' will be popping up on search engines with a wholly different 'meaning'.

In respect of the orginal question, some climbers are wankers, sheffield has a disproportionate number of climbers and therefore a disproportionate number of climbing wankers.

In respect of Tony Simpson, I always get confused whether this is the Tony Simpson who used to potter around Nottingham wall about 20 years ago (fuck is it that long) lanking through my well set problems and would always be telling jokes about huge cocks (phallus rather than other climbers) or whether there's another Tony Simpson.

As for cliques, I am sure there are plenty, I can recall at the last UKB piss up I had a cracking time with a few folk on here who I've probably been quite rude to / abusive and there wasn't any 'real world' carry over; perhaps it's a question of people having the self confidence to break into a group as much as it is the group not appearing welcoming.

Anyway, it's not the Sheffield scene you need to worry about; it's the nether edge crew, wankers.

kelvin

• forum hero
I've only been to the Works once, found it pretty friendly as it happens but then I'll chatter to anyone. I've been surprised by how many randoms I chat to at various crags, then come on here or ukc and it turns out to be someone or another. It happened again this weekend.

Perhaps as Sloper says - you need a bit of self-confidence to be able to break into a 'scene', whether that be climbing or music or bikes etc.

tomtom

• forum hero
I've never had a problem with climbers from / at / around Sheffield - or for that matter Leeds. I've found most folk friendly and interesting. There was a good Tor scene over the Summer and met quite a few folk there...

rich d

• forum hero
I've only been to the works once too, thought like every other wall I've ever been to that it was pretty friendly. (Although there was a very small headed miserable bastard sat under the campus board timing himself doing a crossword).

a dense loner

• forum hero
Brilliant. Glad I'd just finished my tepid cordial or it would have been everywhere!

tomtom

• forum hero
Why would you time yourself doing a crossword?

a dense loner

• forum hero
To see how long it takes you. Was that a trick question?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal