UKBouldering.com

Thoughts on online accounting packages (Read 2590 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 26, 2015, 01:27:44 pm
Apologies for so many IT-related issues of late!

Just wondered if anybody had experience with the various online accountancy systems that are out there?

I'm far from well versed in accountancy but would like to use a simple and streamlined system. Sage still runs Windows only (unless you use a Windows emulator) which is a pain as a Mac user. Kashflow seems to have some positive noises made about it but would like to hear more before committing.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to generate P&L, Balance and Cashflow sheets from whatever is elected. More than willing to undertake some basic education in the chosen package.

Alan James, Rockfax

• player
    • www.ukclimbing.com
#1 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 26, 2015, 02:39:03 pm
I use Xero here. Superb bit of software which integrates with the major banks (HSBC and NatWest for sure) and PayPal so that your transactions automatically get imported. Most accountants are well versed on dealing with it hence it can save money on accounts. There are probably cheaper packages out there though for £20/month (or less if your business is really small).

https://www.xero.com/pricing/

Alan

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 26, 2015, 02:59:22 pm
Kashflow is decent. We started out paying twice what we pay now and it still seemed a good deal. They got bought out a year or so ago and halved all the prices - proper bargain now. We've got some minor issues with it but have run a proper business through it for a few years now with no hassles. Similarly supports bank syncing.

Generate P&L and balances are straightforward. Not played with the cashflow so dunno, but given the name I'd expect it to work.

Only issues so far are: can't set a business up as both customer and supplier, has to be in twice separately. Doesn't support unit prices in fractions of pence, which can give annoying rounding errors when adding VAT. Otherwise great, saved us a lot of time and work.

jamiev

• regular
#3 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 26, 2015, 03:47:51 pm
I've been very happy with Freeagent. P&L and balance sheets fine, cashflow straightforward, good integration w/ most banks (if wanted).

Not sure this has made your choice easier as you now have 3 different options all endorsed highly.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 27, 2015, 11:38:22 am
Freeagent appears to be three times the price of Kashflow for what appears to be similar functionality.

A quick google doesn't appear to throw up any decent comparisons, but I can't be arsed persevering. Might be worth checking what plug-ins are compatible and might be useful to you - Kashflow has quite a few now: http://www.kashflow.com/add-ons/

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#5 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 27, 2015, 01:03:31 pm
That's great, thanks all. From a quick log in to the Kashflow trail account, it looks pretty slick. Will be sure to sit down and give these all the proper attention they deserve asap.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 27, 2015, 01:21:56 pm
I remember a young, cool Millso. I don't know who this Monolith guy is.

jamiev

• regular
#7 Re: Thoughts on online accounting packages
February 27, 2015, 01:54:26 pm
Freeagent appears to be three times the price of Kashflow for what appears to be similar functionality.

A quick google doesn't appear to throw up any decent comparisons, but I can't be arsed persevering. Might be worth checking what plug-ins are compatible and might be useful to you - Kashflow has quite a few now: http://www.kashflow.com/add-ons/

Kashflow cheaper indeed - though as you say, you've had minor issues with it; but that said, it looks v good now and looks to have improved alot in terms of functionality since 2013. Also, Freeagent's cheaper if someone gives you a referral code. Probably worth Monolith taking the free trial on a couple of these packages for a month.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal