UKBouldering.com

Favourite Bouldering Video? (Read 16391 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
#25 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 01:45:09 pm
Oh yeah...

You really took that to heart didn't you!

Doylo

• forum hero
#26 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 02:19:49 pm
Top tip: When you first meet someone don't tell them their pride and joy is shit.

grimer

• forum hero
#27 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 02:50:46 pm
What, so you met some random guy, and the random guy said "Are you Chris Doyle. Well that film you gave away for free is shit," and you took offence to that? Bit sensitive, eh?

One of m favourite climbing films too.

Stubbs

#28 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 03:25:38 pm
Stone Love
West Coast Gimps
Four From Font (Dosage 1, first vid I ever saw of font)
Arkansas Dosage 5

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#29 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 04:42:57 pm
Splinter. Hands down.
It has everything: a super hard climb, training, obsession, eyes lost in space thinking about all the hard work put in to get up there above all humans, and a memorable phrase "That's me back up at full power."

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 05:11:19 pm
Thanks to Slackline for tweeting me a link to WCG... is this something I should sit down to watch with mrsTT or is it best viewed in darkened solitude with a box of tissues (for the tears of laughter of course) ?

fried

• forum hero
#31 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 05:13:52 pm
At the moment it's this, and it's free.

Old-skool font action, no-hands attempt at science friction, Godoffe doing 'partenaire particulier' and all complete chalk-free ;) What more do you want?

Doylo

• forum hero
#32 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 05:38:37 pm
What, so you met some random guy, and the random guy said "Are you Chris Doyle. Well that film you gave away for free is shit," and you took offence to that? Bit sensitive, eh?

One of m favourite climbing films too.

What's worse was i had to share a bed with the twat in Siurana.
Thanks to Slackline for tweeting me a link to WCG... is this something I should sit down to watch with mrsTT or is it best viewed in darkened solitude with a box of tissues (for the tears of laughter of course) ?
I'm sure your missus isn't a prude. Stick it on!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#33 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 05:59:30 pm
Stone love all day

stick is a close second

dave

#34 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 07:39:00 pm
Top 3 in no particular order:

Rampage
The Real Thing
Stick It

What's notable from this thread is there's almost no nominations from the last 10 years. Despite the ease of access these days to HD quality video technology and editing. Just goes to show you can have all the kit you want, the DSLRs, the boom shots, time lapses and slider rigs but first and foremost you've got to have a story to tell.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 07:45:18 pm
What's notable from this thread is there's almost no nominations from the last 10 years. Despite the ease of access these days to HD quality video technology and editing. Just goes to show you can have all the kit you want, the DSLRs, the boom shots, time lapses and slider rigs but first and foremost you've got to have a story to tell.

Or perhaps its a reflection of the forums demographics, nostalgia for the classics?  :shrug:

Hard to say really.  What is notable to me is that the majority of the nominations are for longer videos.  All the kit mentioned is employed to great effect in shorts, but very few people make longer format films these days, Nick Brown's Tomorrow I Will be Gone and Life on Hold (I actually preferred the former to the later).

Coincidentally (?) this exact same question was asked in /r/bouldering the other day.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#36 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 08:39:51 pm

Or perhaps its a reflection of the forums demographics, nostalgia for the classics?  :shrug:

This for me. 

Doylo

• forum hero
#37 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 08:47:25 pm
I can't get excited about new films  but used to watch the likes of Real Thing and Rampage repeatedly. Don't think its a reflection on the new stuff just more I can't be arsed now. 

abarro81

• forum hero
#38 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 08:51:16 pm
Yeah, you'll always remember fondly the videos you saw when you were most obsessively psyched on anything climbing related I think. For me that's the Realization bits of dosage 1, the bit where DG does the riverbed in whichever dosage that was, and maybe rampage and the Didier parts of first ascent. I actually watched Rampage again the other day, it wasn't as good as I remembered!

rodma

• forum hero
#39 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 09:46:42 pm
At the moment it's this, and it's free.

Old-skool font action, no-hands attempt at science friction, Godoffe doing 'partenaire particulier' and all complete chalk-free ;) What more do you want?
Well posted. One of my old all time faves.  I actually haven't watched it through since spending any time in font. Must've watched it almost every day and the real thing for that matter, in fact more of the real thing, in the run up to a long trip to font.

rodma

• forum hero
#40 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 09:51:03 pm
Now I really like both of keith's font films for font psyche and low on hold for UK stuff. Used to watch stick it all the time but I wore out my vhs.

Is it wrong that I have never seen wcg? Should I be sitting down with the wee man to show him it? Is that more important than him watching star wars in the correct non-lucas messed with order?

cha1n

• forum hero
#41 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm
I used to watch stick it a lot, never really thought about it but maybe it is the music.. "stop your messing around..."

I've watched the outcrop south Africa film quite a few times (also free).

measles23

• stalker
#42 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 11:29:22 pm
Sticking with nostalgia - I can't believe no-ones mentioned One Summer yet; the film that started it all and still as good as it gets for me - no intrusive editing, just quality climbing on quality problems..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#43 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 19, 2015, 11:54:22 pm
Stick It and One Summer. 

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#44 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 20, 2015, 12:42:32 am
How do I get hold of One Summer and Stone Love? I haven't seen either...  :chair:

blamo

• addict
#45 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 20, 2015, 01:33:31 am
Here is where you can purchase One Summer: http://steepedge.com/categories/bouldering/one-summer-bouldering-in-the-peak.html

I have to say One Summer is better than most of the recent bouldering flicks that I paid twice as much for...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#46 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 20, 2015, 07:35:50 am

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#47 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 20, 2015, 08:09:48 am
What's notable from this thread is there's almost no nominations from the last 10 years.

YouTube started more or less ten years ago. I suspect the instant availability of lots of films for free is what killed the buzz.

The only one I've managed to watch repeatedly is Dosage5: Arkansas, but it's not for the climbing.

L'Etranger is probably my favourite for climbing psyche, perhaps because the problems are within what I aspire to do. That'll be the other problem with modern films then.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#48 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 20, 2015, 09:01:26 am
Agreed with L'Etranger. I am a big fan of Between Trees too.

Stone Love, obvs!

And this is probably my favourite online video -

andy_e

• forum hero
#49 Re: Favourite Bouldering Video?
February 20, 2015, 09:29:01 am
I forgot this:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal