UKBouldering.com

Snowballing footage for some TV folk (Read 10464 times)

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 10:44:01 am
A friend of mine got in touch the other day as she is working on a TV programme about how extreme weather affects people in different ways. I told her about snowballing, and how people do all these normally more dangerous, fairly high things and she seemed pretty interested. So does anybody happen to have any footage of snowballing...? I think she needs it as soon as possible, so if you know some one can you point them in the direction of this post?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 10:48:30 am
Am I right that 205Chris made pretty decent video early last year on snowballing?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 10:53:49 am

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#3 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 10:56:31 am
Here is some more information:

RAW TV WANTS YOUR PERSONAL WEATHER EXPERIENCES…
Raw TV are working on a Channel 4 documentary about extreme weather in Britain over the course of this winter. 

We’re really keen to see how the climbing community in Sheffield is affected by snow and bad weather. Do you continue to climb through the winter? How do you respond to snow? We’re interested in seeing footage shot on your cameraphone, laptop or similar device. At times, feature yourself in the footage. We want to hear your thoughts and feelings on the weather you’re experiencing.
Please hold your cameraphone horizontally (landscape).
We want to get a complete picture of the way that storms, snow, ice, rain, high winds and big waves can affect life for ordinary Britons – and so we’re asking you to share with us your documentation of the way in which bad winter weather affects your daily life.
Please get in touch with Hannah on 0207 456 0800 or work.experience2@raw.co.uk.
IMPORTANT:
•   Do not put yourself in danger or do anything you wouldn’t normally do. If the weather is so bad that you wouldn’t normally leave the house, please don’t do so. Please don’t film while driving, or do anything that might otherwise endanger your health and safety, or the health and safety of others.
•   It is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.
•   Raw cannot be held responsible for any accident or injury that may occur during filming or any damage to your property or that of any third party.

205Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 12:22:06 pm
Am I right that 205Chris made pretty decent video early last year on snowballing?

You mean this?

dave

#5 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 12:50:07 pm

We’re interested in seeing footage shot on your cameraphone, laptop or similar device.

Finally, a use for these laptops we all drag to the crag.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#6 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 12:54:27 pm

You mean this?

Aye, that's the one I was thinking of. Most jealous not to be able to capitalise on those conditions!

HannahRaw

#7 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 20, 2015, 01:01:20 pm
Hi all,

These videos are incredible! If anyone is interested in being involved could you PM me your number and I'll give you a call? It would be great to get some new footage - especially if we go get any snow and some of your climbing stories!

Hannah

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 12:56:20 pm
Hi Hannah. The snow conditions in the vids are pretty rare. We had a couple of fluke years in a row but prior to that we hadn't had suitable conditions since the 1970s or 80s. You need heavy snow plus drifting conditions, then a run of cold dry weather so that the snow stays around long enough for the climbs to become clear and dry. It might happen this year but the probability is low, we've had nothing like suitable conditions so far.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#9 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 01:04:31 pm

We’re interested in seeing footage shot on your cameraphone, laptop or similar device.

Finally, a use for these laptops we all drag to the crag.

I wrote my name in the snow by urinating - unfortunately I was unable to hold the laptop still whilst doing this, so have no good footage

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 01:17:41 pm
Hi all,

These videos are incredible! If anyone is interested in being involved could you PM me your number and I'll give you a call? It would be great to get some new footage - especially if we go get any snow and some of your climbing stories!

Hannah

If you want some new footage - how about going back to the problems with no snow - which will reveal how dangerous they are (large jagged boulders on the landings etc..) when there is no snow about...? In effect providing some contrast to the vids above?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 01:31:38 pm
We’re really keen to see how the climbing community in Sheffield is affected by snow and bad weather.

Someone had some good vid of snowboarding on Mam Tor a few years ago?

Is it Sheffield / Peak only you are interested in? I've got some footage of climbing on sea level icefalls in Aberdeenshire from a few years back, hopefully get some more done this year. Also we end up surfing in the snow here quite a bit.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 02:05:29 pm
I think Bonjoy's assessment is a bit negative. We had the potential a couple of week's back (suitably big drifts), only for a very rapid thaw to ensue. The moors are hard frozen at the moment so a little bit of wind in the right direction would be moving the snow about. 2010 was exceptional, yes, but now eyes are open there have been opportunities every year except last. It is rare for the right conditions to last more than a few days though.

Snowboarding 2013:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 02:23:29 pm
I think Bonjoy's assessment is a bit negative. We had the potential a couple of week's back (suitably big drifts), only for a very rapid thaw to ensue. The moors are hard frozen at the moment so a little bit of wind in the right direction would be moving the snow about.
I didn't see anything like big enough drifts at Burbage or Stanage when I went up for a look and that was when they will have been at their biggest. What there was thawed very rapidly, very soon after. There might have been (and might still be)some suitable piles up on Kinder/Derwent Edges but that's essentially academic as the chances of anyone going up there with a shovel and a mind to snowball are practically zero. Like I said, it’s possible but not very likely.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 02:52:00 pm
I was up on Stanage between Xmas and New year and drifts were bigger than some we've used in the past - parts of the crag were buried. Would definitely been possible - but as with years previous to 2010 unless a few key players start the ball rolling it seems everyone goes to the wall. It was amazing how quickly they went though, 14 degrees on New Year's Eve!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 03:24:24 pm
Three Blind Mice and the Burb N usuals didn't have much at all, but the wind was more from the N and less from the E than past drifting episodes so I can imagine some stuff at Stanage getting better drifts.

galpinos

• forum hero
#16 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 03:47:44 pm
JB, I've always fanciedthat gully/line in Winnats. How much snow is in the Peak at the mo?

HannahRaw

#17 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 04:48:03 pm
Hi all,

Really appreciate you sharing all your expertise. What we really want to portray is how climbers are affected by winter and weather. So footage wouldn't necessarily have to be snowballing if it portrayed the impact of weather - even if its just footage of getting hyped up and going out to find a spot but not being able to do it cause the conditions aren't suitable.

Also especially in reply to SA Chris doesn't need to be Sheffield or Peaks. Can be anywhere in the UK and any activity really. As I said as long as it shows the effect of weather and tells a bit of a story. We're keen to have footage that features people in and talking about what's happening.

Please do get in touch if you're interested and are planning to do anything that might be affected and I have to emphasise again:

•   Do not put yourself in danger or do anything you wouldn’t normally do. If the weather is so bad that you wouldn’t normally leave the house, please don’t do so. Please don’t film while driving, or do anything that might otherwise endanger your health and safety, or the health and safety of others.
•   It is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving.
•   Raw cannot be held responsible for any accident or injury that may occur during filming or any damage to your property or that of any third party.

Cheers!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#18 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 04:51:36 pm
even if its just footage of getting hyped up and going out to find a spot but not being able to do it cause the conditions aren't suitable.

Sounds like any given climber on 90% of weekends in winter!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#19 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 04:55:36 pm
What we really want to portray is how climbers are affected by winter and weather.

What you really want is detailed footage of someone hanging off the sickest slopers imaginable, in temps of -10'c and below  :2thumbsup:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#20 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 04:57:09 pm
even if its just footage of getting hyped up and going out to find a spot but not being able to do it cause the conditions aren't suitable.

I'm assuming footage of a climber obsessively poring over weekend weather forecasts on a Wednesday isn't the kind of thing you're after?!  ;)

HannahRaw

#21 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 06:07:21 pm

I'm assuming footage of a climber obsessively poring over weekend weather forecasts on a Wednesday isn't the kind of thing you're after?!  ;)

We may do if we can follow it up with footage of you climbing or even going out to the peaks and not being able to climb! We want a story with a beginning middle and end so preparations and post-reflections are all good do!

dave

#22 Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 06:34:45 pm
If you want to film the soul crushing moment on a Sunday morning when the full-time employed married father of two realises his sole 2hr non-negotiable climbing window of the weekend corresponds to the zenith of the weekend's worst weather of the week then I'm your man.

P.s. It's Peak, not Peaks......

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#23 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 06:41:56 pm
JB, I've always fanciedthat gully/line in Winnats. How much snow is in the Peak at the mo?

Enough probably, but it's warm wet snow that's thawing as fast as it falls. The gullies on Mam tor would be a better bet as they are a fair bit higher.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#24 Re: Snowballing footage for some TV folk
January 21, 2015, 06:43:25 pm
If you want to film the soul crushing moment on a Sunday morning when the full-time employed married father of two realises his sole 2hr non-negotiable climbing window of the weekend corresponds to the zenith of the weekend's worst weather of the week then I'm your man.

I feel your pain, blood.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal