UKBouldering.com

places not to visit (Read 11498 times)

LJ

• addict
#25 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:04:37 am
Have tried to blank that bit from my memory. Think ure car came off worse after u hit it after findin out that it had been broken into :wink:  So r we off up there soon!

Dutch Master Killa

• regular
#26 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:07:50 am
Kiss my arse :evil:

LJ

• addict
#27 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:13:43 am
If you keep asking dutch one day i may just do that then youd b sorry. Although i reckon ure better half would brae me for it, damn such a shame :wink:

Kim

• forum abuser
#28 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:18:05 am
Quote from: "dave"
2 or 3 problems does not make millstone a good bouldering venue!

specially when you can't do one of them  :wink:

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#29 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 07:27:06 am
Crookstones does not exsist! it's called Hellifield!

dave

#30 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:09:20 am
Quote from: "Kim"
Quote from: "dave"
2 or 3 problems does not make millstone a good bouldering venue!

specially when you can't do one of them  :wink:

i'll take an E2 in trainers over the pollished shite anyday cheers!

AndyR

• forum hero
#31 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:25:59 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
Crookstones is indeed shit. Crookrise is great, Rylstone is great, the bit in the middle is shit. How they got away with all that hype when they found the place I'll never know.

Millstone is bo. Anyone who don't like it ain't got no footwork. Green death direct - amazin and unique. Master chef is also the bollox. Wouldn't bother with boho groove tho...

Crookstones was probably overhyped, but there are 2 or 3 really excellent problems there and a handful of decent enough ones - probably not worth a visit on its own, but well worth combining with Cockrise.

Millstone as a bouldering venue - are you on drugs??

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#32 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:38:36 am
The Stone Brush is a fine problem at Hellifield.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#33 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:42:54 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
What about some of the newer/obscure crags on Yorkshiregrit.com? What's hot, what's not so hot?

I guess I'm a bit biased so I shouldn't answer this, but what the hell.  There's no simple answer though - eg Flasby Fell now has possibly the hardest problem in Yorkshire, but there are only 5 or 6 problems there and it's a half-hour walk in.  Does that make it hot or not?  I don't know.  Similarly there are other places with only a few problems, but the climbing is very good (Whitehouses springs to mind).

Then there are places like Lord's Seat, Swastika Stones, Dove Stones & Clattering Stones which are a bit more extensive and definitely worth a visit (in my opinion).

Finally there are some fairly awful crags - Cat Crags, Thruscross, Palleys Crags & Park Crag, which aren't worth bothering with (in my opinion).

As for Hellifield aka Crookstones - there are some very good problems there, but it's one of those places that looks awful at first sight, and I think a lot of people are put off by that (like I was on my first visit).   Also the approach described in the bouldering guide could almost be designed to put people off - it's much more pleasant to walk along the top of the moor from Crookrise.

AndyR

• forum hero
#34 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:50:57 am
Quote from: "jonP"

Finally there are some fairly awful crags - Cat Crags, Thruscross, Palleys Crags & Park Crag, which aren't worth bothering with (in my opinion).

Can I just reiterate that Thruscross and Little Brimham are a pile of shite - the author of Wild Climbing in Yorkshire (or whatever it was called) definitely got a bit carried away with himself.......

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#35 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:56:09 am
Guys Cliffe, now there's a place which is essentially shit but the problems are excellent!

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#36 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:59:17 am
Hullerstone, now there's a place which is essentially excellent but the problems are shit!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#37 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 09:59:33 am
Chudleigh rocks in devon, i thought it was gonna be a minus ten type wall, eliminate based bouldering...............it was far worse
The rock is unlike any polish i have ever experienced, its beyond polish. truely two hours of my life wasted

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#38 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:02:27 am
Jon and I had a glorious 20 minutes at Panorama Crag, Dead Bird wall still awaits it's first and glorious ascent.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
#39 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:04:30 am
Quote from: "Big Frank"
Hullerstones, now there's a place which is essentially excellent but the problems are shit!

To be fair, it's actually an excellent venue for easy bouldering (i.e. easier than V0).

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#40 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:07:03 am
Quote from: "fatboySlimfast"
Chudleigh rocks in devon, i thought it was gonna be a minus ten type wall, eliminate based bouldering...............it was far worse
The rock is unlike any polish i have ever experienced, its beyond polish. truely two hours of my life wasted

I'll second that - i jhad the misfortune of going there one afternoon and have vowed to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever go back - it sucks

anyway fatboy, whats wrong with minus ten.......................
(i used to quite enjoy the odd session there)

Big Frank

• forum abuser
#41 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:08:51 am
Quote from: "jonP"
Quote from: "Big Frank"
Hullerstones, now there's a place which is essentially excellent but the problems are shit!

To be fair, it's actually an excellent venue for easy bouldering (i.e. easier than V0).

Home to Piffel a very tricky little V4 neither of us got!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#42 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:15:37 am
anyway fatboy, whats wrong with minus ten.......................
(i used to quite enjoy the odd session there)

nothing at all, i do enjoy the odd session there but what i can do Ive done and what i cant do would require a body transplant

squeek

• junky
#43 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:18:13 am
Then there are places like Lord's Seat, Swastika Stones, Dove Stones & Clattering Stones which are a bit more extensive and definitely worth a visit (in my opinion).

Swastika Stones is good, especially if you're climbing, V0 - V5 although some of the V0 and V1 problems were graded a little harsh I though in the yg.com guide.  Walking the dog is excellent.

Clattering Stones is well worth a visit although the path up to it is a bit shit, but if you don't like it you can always cruise over to the lakeside Widdop boulders.  Morning Sickness, Fontanelles, Clatterjack pencil, 2 blue lines are all good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#44 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 10:44:20 am
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"
I'll second that - i jhad the misfortune of going there one afternoon and have vowed to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever go back - it sucks

I'll third your second; it really bites a fat one.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#45 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:11:54 pm
Has anyone ever been to Carhead rocks beneath stanage, is in one of the older peak bouldering guides?

dave

#46 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:16:37 pm
never been but always wondered what it was like - its in the "everything is 6c" keith torton web guides innit?

wasn't there some bad access vibe there?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#47 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:18:06 pm
I've been over for a quick look - no great shakes at all, it's very small thought didn't spend long there.  Yeah, I think access is a bit sensitive to boot.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#48 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:46:14 pm
yeah I've been to carhead rocks - perhaps worth a visit if it was in suffolk, given its actual postion probably not.

Was highly entertained last summer when I discovered 9toez was secretly 'developing' this 'new' venue. I showed him PBG1 and he was gutted - not only had everything been done, the grades were easier too :lol:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#49 places not to visit
July 21, 2004, 12:49:42 pm
:trout:  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal