UKBouldering.com

Climbing Walls Guilford (Read 4015 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Climbing Walls Guilford
June 05, 2014, 09:01:17 am
I going down to my daughters next week and she lives half way between Guilford and Alton. Has anybody climbed at Craggy Island at Guilford or High Sports at Alton. Given that as a non member it seems to cost the equivilant of a week in Font to use either of these, I don't want to spend my grandsons inheritance going to a shit wall.
Also how easy its to get to Southern Sandstone from this side of London. Or should I just do a day trip to Font or back to the Peak.

Durbs

• forum hero
#1 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 05, 2014, 09:06:52 am
Craggy Island in Guildford is good. I'd say their roped stuff at Guildford is better than the bouldering, but the bouldering is still good. I know lots of people rate the setting.

There's also Surrey Uni's "new" wall, which has a massive bouldering roof section, but rather dull problems and limited roped lines.

If you can get to it, Craggy Island 2 is EXCELLENT for bouldering.

Haven't been to High Sports, so can't really comment - going in hearsay it's not great.

On a good day, Epsom (where I am) to Southern Sandstone is 45mins, on a bad day 1hour 20... but I'm at the mercy of the M25, coming from Alton way you might be able to avoid it, but might take longer going cross country.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 05, 2014, 09:13:13 am
I used to give myself an hour from near Epsom.. Suspect it's a bit further from nr Guildford. Iirc stone farm was the nearest. Not the best - but enough for an evening fix.

Fadanoid

• addict
#3 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 05, 2014, 09:24:13 am
http://www.southernsandstoneclimbs.co.uk/p/climbing-areas.html
This has all the main areas listed.

As Durbs said you really are at the mercy of the m25 unless you try and go cross country, even then that could be tricky in the towns.
Its worth a trip over though just for the experience if you've not been.

Will you be needing any info from the guidebook? If you catch my drift...

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 05, 2014, 12:14:33 pm
Thanks for the replies and some guidebook info would be much appreciated as my better half being dead keen to leap in to her role as Granny is going down on the train tomorrow. So therefore will not be there to object when I start filling the car full of pads.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#5 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 05, 2014, 11:08:07 pm
I'd agree as above.

Craggy2 in Sutton is best local bouldering in doors.
Craggy island isn't as good, mainly just cos there's less of it, but their ropes are allegedly some of the best.
White Spider near Kingston is similarly  good for ropes.
Southern sandstones travel times will depend on time of day.  Good will be 45 mins.  It needs to be dry, do if there's been heavy rain you might damage it. 

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#6 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 08, 2014, 01:25:14 pm
I used to live in Farnham and stone farm was under an hour cross country, there's a wall in alton, but all these walls popped up after I Moved to Wales. The Alton wall is Beacon built but I'm not sure what the setting is like nowadays.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 08, 2014, 04:47:27 pm
with Brighton just down the road, you could just subscribe to Grindr and get a week of off-width-appropriate training

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 10, 2014, 01:58:32 pm
If you have free daylighttime outside of rush hours, just head to Stone Farm and have a potter about on whatever takes your fancy. It's not font, but there are a few pleasant problems, and it has a nice sunny outlook, and is good for non-climbers to have a short walk and enjoy the view. Just don't go too high and slip off a sandy hold, and land badly missing your beermat, and cracking your heel so it aches for months afterwards (yes I speak from experience).

Otherwise, go for Craggy. If High Sports you are talking about is the one in Redhill(ish) area, unless there's been drastic improvement its shit and not worth the drive.

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 10, 2014, 07:19:44 pm
I'm hoping to have day time passes and I will have a mat or two. I now have a Southern Sandstone guide but looking through it seems that either the North boulder at Harrisons or Secret Garden at High rocks are the places to head to. Or is ther better places to go, also I'm going bouldering not trying to scare my self shitless or break myself.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 10, 2014, 08:49:34 pm
Go to Stone Farm Webbo. It's a nice spot, the nearest (by 20 min - 30min) and whilst not mega quality I should think there's enough there for at least a couple of sessions..

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 10, 2014, 08:57:53 pm
Although Stone Farm is a great sounding name, according to the guide there is only one problem at Stone Farm. Stinging Nettle 7A+.

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 10, 2014, 09:04:42 pm
having just done abit of a search I see there is a bouldering guide anyone got a copy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Climbing Walls Guilford
June 10, 2014, 09:17:28 pm
Although Stone Farm is a great sounding name, according to the guide there is only one problem at Stone Farm. Stinging Nettle 7A+.

it's a pish guide then

http://www.mountain-trips.co.uk/stone_farm_boulder_guide.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal