UKBouldering.com

5/7/10 a day (Read 3066 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 06:44:34 pm
http://www.andrewoswald.com/docs/October2FruitAndVeg2012BlanchOswaldStewartBrown.pdf
(study of mental wellbeing, suggesting 7ish a day) (fulfilling my OBLIGATION Slackers  :kiss2: )
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377
(news report of UCL study claiming 7-10 veg/fruit daily has high positive impact on health + life expectancy.)

I'm not into fad diets. Or any diets in fact. I believe in a lifestyle which allows for regular chocolate. However, the evidence for the positive effects of eating a decent amount of fruit and veg has been growing. It's also very intuitive.
My base diet has been lacking in stuff I probably should be getting. 6 months ago I started actually eating some oily fish each week. I've also been gradually trying to raise my intake of fruit/veg. I'm particularly confident this will have a positive impact as I'm replacing processed sugary snacks with fruit/veg. I'm currently trying to get to 7/day regularly.

So a couple of things really. What do people think? Obviously the studies are all based on correlation. Anyone want to rubbish them?

And on a more positive note, anyone doing the same, any recommendations for CHEAP way to get more veg/fruit in my diet, particularly snacks?
Snacks today (a good day):
2 celery sticks (cheapish)
2 carrots (very cheap)
5 radishes (not so cheap)
handful of grapes (not so cheap)
2 satsumas (cheap)
nectarine (cheap on offer)
banana (cheap)

I often have apples and pears.
I sometimes have juice, but not a big fan of the sugar rush/crash.
I'm eating all this stuff raw, which some claim is the healthiest way, but I'm doing it purely because I'm lazy and it's simple. Am open to simple suggestions about cooking though. Although I feel vegetable crisps might defy the point.

Don't worry, I eat plenty of other shit. Not going to become a fruitarian.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 08:23:59 pm
Simple grilled meat / fish or slow ins the summer, cooked cheap cuts, pigs cheek, lambs liver, shin of beef, and game in the winter all very healthy and good value.

Plenty of root veg & pulses, and what ever is in season.

Don't buy processed food, a 4:2:1 carbs, f&v, protein will pretty much sort you out.

And save up for special treats, caviar, swan and whale should not lose their place in a balanced diet.

abarro81

• forum hero
#2 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 09:09:39 pm
Frozen veg is well cheap, and is good for feeling lazy. Though not feasible at work obviously.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#3 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 09:21:10 pm
Simple grilled meat / fish or slow ins the summer, cooked cheap cuts, pigs cheek, lambs liver, shin of beef, and game in the winter all very healthy and good value.

Plenty of root veg & pulses, and what ever is in season.

Don't buy processed food, a 4:2:1 carbs, f&v, protein will pretty much sort you out.

And save up for special treats, caviar, swan and whale should not lose their place in a balanced diet.

Getting a bit sick of whale to be honest. Moved onto giant tortoise for the taste.

Sloper

• forum hero
#4 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 09:25:23 pm
I do hope it is organic or at least fair trade.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 09:29:54 pm
I do hope it is organic or at least fair trade.

Halal

Sloper

• forum hero
#6 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 03, 2014, 09:31:17 pm
Superb.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 09, 2014, 03:21:49 pm
so besides the obvious correlation does not mean causation, it seems reasonable. That being said their tables are really long and I couldnt be arsed to go through them all so my main criticisms are 1. could the same be said if all people had the no other differences (impossible to acheive) and 2. Do people that eat more fruit just care a bit more about themselves and so feel better (placeabo).

Anecdotally I eat quite a good diet and I'm happy as larry but them thats main becuase I stopped giving a shit long ago

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 09, 2014, 04:26:05 pm
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants" [/end thread]

Seems as true now as it ever was, despite fads and scientific advances.

JohnM

• junky
#9 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 09, 2014, 04:55:42 pm
Moose dishing out diet advice  :lol:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#10 Re: 5/7/10 a day
June 09, 2014, 05:16:35 pm
My diet is pretty healthy in terms of its constituents... maybe less so in terms of quantities (though I eat more than you might imagine from my crag habits and physique).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal