UKBouldering.com

SQL server headache (Read 2385 times)

SamT

• forum hero
SQL server headache
March 03, 2014, 10:45:04 pm

Any SQL server peeps out there care to be the metaphorical Anadin to my headache.

I have an SQL server running on one box on a home network.

I'm trying to connect to that SQL server from my laptop, over the network and I just cant seem to do it.  I've been sent some pretty explicit instructions from the software team support team, however still no joy.  I'm not sure if its simply just a networking issue. (I cant seem to join the Windows Homegroup created on the desktop for love nor money)

Both machines on Windows 7 Professional

I can provide more info tomorrow if there's anyone out there who might be able to help.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 05:31:11 am
Possibly a homegroup issue.

Some ideas here and here.

I've never had any joy with homegroups so tend to disable them just connect using the explicit network identifier of the target computer, e.g. right click "network" then use "map network drive" and enter \\serverName\shareName  Obviously the share must be enabled on the host computer.

If your networking isn't the issue and it's actually an SQL Server issue it might be worth giving CJ a shout, he's been using it professionally for some time.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#2 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 08:59:51 am
I'd look at the firewall on the SQL server machine first.

Also, look at this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177440.aspx
and see if the SQL server is actually listening for connections on anything other than localhost.

roddersm

• stalker
#3 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 09:36:54 am
What error are you getting?

I presume you are trying to connect via SQL server management studio on your laptop or is it some other method?

If so can you see the sql server you want to access under the network servers tab?

If you are getting this far are you then using SQL server or windows authentication to access the remote SQL server?

If you can browse to the remote machine, check the port the SQL server is running under is unblocked and the authentication mode you are using is enabled - if it's windows authentication then ensure your windows account has access for the SQL server instance.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:51:51 am by roddersm »

SamT

• forum hero
#4 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 11:05:26 am

BOOM  :punk:

disabled AVG and I can connect.  Windows Firewall ports opened up so thats OK.

Might completely un-install AVG and try Avira instead (seems that AVG caused issues with home group too according to one of the threads Bubs linked).

Cheers guys.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 11:07:12 am
I'd go for MSE instead of Avast, AVG etc. it's far less annoying in the long run.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#6 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 12:05:06 pm
I'd go for MSE instead of Avast, AVG etc. it's far less annoying in the long run.

Because it doesn't do anything... http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 12:46:26 pm
Thanks...  (the recommendation came from a mate who works for the University IT department).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: SQL server headache
March 04, 2014, 01:57:05 pm
I briefly read about something the other day which provided a "meta" interface to multiple spyware checkers/ad-block programs/antivirus.

Can't for the life of me remember the name or where I read about it (likely something on Reddit though).

The point of it was to ease the downloading, installation and running of multiple Windows tools.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal