UKBouldering.com

Open Street Maps (Read 1771 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Open Street Maps
January 15, 2014, 11:44:43 am
A good article on Why the World needs OpenStreetMaps

As much as I find Google Maps useful, the fact that they alone control what is showed is enough to convince me to switch.

There is a comprehensive list of Android applications that use OpenStreetMaps which I'll be investigating and trialing.  I think I'll also start adding things (bars/restaurants/bouldering & climbing venues) to OpenStreetMaps as time permits.

Be interested to hear of others experiences using these.

kelvin

• forum hero
#1 Re: Open Street Maps
January 15, 2014, 12:54:38 pm
I did have an openmap app on my Sony when i got it but just dumped it when getting rid of everything I could. Having seen how data google try to grab from you, I think I'm keen to get on board with something like this... I'll have a nose through the list and get one on the phone.

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
#2 Re: Open Street Maps
January 15, 2014, 04:47:53 pm
I've used navfree on android now for about 6 years as my standard sat nav app.
It's good, not had any issues other than a one way street which it thought was two way, next to the BBC building near to the station in Sheffield!
It works a treat, got heavy useage with obscure country addresses around Holmfirth when we were moving house, used in London, Leeds, Manchester, drives up to Scotland etc.
Would recommend it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Open Street Maps
January 15, 2014, 05:26:56 pm
Yeah, I've used NavFree too on here and there over the past few years and download the European maps for the Dolomites trip this year too.  Been quite happy with (especially as my friend paid £90 for TomTom and there was little difference!).

Its more the richness of information that is overlaid on maps and what is presented to you when you search for "places to eat" that has the potential to be biased by those who are paying Google to promote their business over others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal