UKBouldering.com

Any bouldering on the south west coast of France? (Read 4509 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Sorry for inundating the forum with questions at the moment...

I'll be leaving Spain in a month or so and I was thinking of heading to Font via the west coast of France for a change (I came down via the alps and Mediterranean coast) but would probably do so if there was some climbing to do to break the journey up.

I'm not talking about extensive areas but stuff to pass a few days. I'm thinking of driving north as far as La Rochelle before cutting inland to get to Font. Appreciate any advice.

fried

• forum hero
Basically, the SW coast is devoid of any climbing until la rochelle, by which time you'll be safely on your way to Font.

tomtom

• forum hero
Some stuff near Biarritz ish iirc..? May be wrong.. But suspect its bare all way up to la-Rochelle from there

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks for the replies.

I may have to rethink this one as I'm not sure if I could bare that many hours of driving without climbing on the way (sad I know). Especially as now I'm 4 months into my roadtrip, I'm not that keen on driving more than 3 hours per days if I can help it... That's too many days without climbing!

Is someone going to come along and say that the views are so spectacular that it makes up for the lack of climbing? I've at least got a 'crusher holds' orb to do some finger training on now!

fried

• forum hero
The road between bayonne and bordeaux is one of the most tedious routes in France. It's flat and runs pretty much straight. There is nothing to see except sparse pine woods. It doesn't even run along the coast.

There is some climbing inland in Dordogne, and better still (although not great) near Angouleme. If you don't need to be anywhere quickly I''d choose a different route to Font.

And the long term weather forecast is looking crap for Font. I'd rather be in the south at the moment.

*usual disclaimer on font weather.

ghisino

• forum abuser
clickable map of french bouldering areas (of any size and quality)

http://www.zebloc.com/spots/spots-francais/?spot=173

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
A group of us had a good week of bouldering around Charente staying at Owen's dad's farm.

The general vibe is steep with pockets and monos but good landings!

Check here for topos: http://charentescalade.chez.com

I'd say the best bits we went to were: Le champignon, cothiers, face nord, l'arche (bit hardcore).

It's a bit local in vibe but if you like the south lakes and replace the nice edges and slopers with monos, then you'll get a good idea of the scene!

I recall it being pretty warm in late jan.

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks everyone. I'll have a think on this, the large map will definitely be useful for deciding what to do.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Is someone going to come along and say that the views are so spectacular that it makes up for the lack of climbing?

No, but the great surf shouldn't go unmentioned!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal