UKBouldering.com

Max hangs and rest (Read 2395 times)

M.R.

Max hangs and rest
October 24, 2013, 01:05:48 pm
I enjoy training max hangs. They feel nice. From what I’ve read there seems to be a consensus that something like 24hrs rest (or no more than a light training session) is required prior to a max hangs workout to properly train these. Just wondering to what extent this had a basis in science and to what extent it is training folklore…I should probably get out more.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#1 Re: Max hangs and rest
October 24, 2013, 01:27:32 pm
I enjoy training max hangs. They feel nice. From what I’ve read there seems to be a consensus that something like 24hrs rest (or no more than a light training session) is required prior to a max hangs workout to properly train these. Just wondering to what extent this had a basis in science and to what extent it is training folklore…I should probably get out more.

My assumtion of the "24 hours rest pre max hang" consensus is to make sure you're able to actually give it a maximum effort. I guess this all depends on how well you recover and how much your body can take training wise.

I've achieved some max hang PB's the day after pretty heavy sessions and i've not felt over-trained or got injured from it.

It would be interesting to hear where this figure has come from.

Schnell

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Max hangs and rest
October 24, 2013, 01:56:25 pm
Eva Lopez says 48hrs rest between max hangs sessions I recall. But that doesn't forestall other climbing, i.e. you can climb in between max hangings.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3 Re: Max hangs and rest
October 24, 2013, 02:19:24 pm
Depends. If you aim to use concentrated loading (i.e. getting weaker and weaker for each training session, in order to reap a big peak in strength 10-40 days after training stops / decreases substantially) you may have to do them every day, or with even higher frequency.

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Max hangs and rest
October 24, 2013, 04:11:09 pm

I've achieved some max hang PB's the day after pretty heavy sessions and i've not felt over-trained or got injured from it.

It would be interesting to hear where this figure has come from.

I've experienced this as well, definitely seem to train max hangs pretty well without being entirely fresh.

M.R.

#5 Re: Max hangs and rest
October 25, 2013, 11:27:37 am
Did max hangs sessions on consecutive nights over the last couple of evenings and matched pb's on the second night. Also mixed in some core work which was definitely harder the second night.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal