UKBouldering.com

Shoes for Grit ? (Read 3133 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 11:29:11 am
.. as with the Pops thread, I've been out of climbing for a decade or so, and my 15 year old boots are all a bit past it.  Haven't a clue which boots are fit for grit these days.  I sense the calling is not too far off.

I used to love my Red chilli habaneros (orange ones), and could never get on at all with 5.10 Anazazis.
Also used a very early version of the Miura for a long time.

Bought some Scarpa Instinct Lace ups for a summer of lime, and got on well with them, I think I have scarpa shaped feet.
Tried on new Miura's at the same time and couldn't quite get on with them.

Not after completely soft slippers (ninja style), so some edging ability, but something that is less akin to mono pointing as with the instincts.

So what are the favs for grit at the moment??

I've heard mates who rate verdes and Arrow heads but I'm not sure I'll fit 5.10's shape still (happy to try em on)

What else should I be trying on from Scarpa/Sportiva/Red Chilli/Boreal camp.

(is it me or does absolutely nobody wear boraeals anymore)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 11:45:57 am
I know you've already mentioned them, but I think 5:10 Anasazi Velcro's are the best all round grit shoe going.. But different brands fit different feet better etc..

psychomansam

• forum hero
#2 Re: Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 11:46:31 am
I think Scarpa vapor Vs are good all rounders, but I'm currently using pinks for when I need soft smearing. Not sure what I'll replace those with!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 11:49:46 am
Oh, here's a thought. Tenaya Masai. Total rip-off of anasazis, but slightly different fit. Thinner I think, but if they fit you you're onto a winner as an alternative.

dave

#4 Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 12:40:12 pm

I know you've already mentioned them, but I think 5:10 Anasazi Velcro's are the best all round grit shoe going.. But different brands fit different feet better etc..

Ditto the Velcro recommendation. If they don't fit your foot, try another fiveten model, lace ups, galileos, whatever.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#5 Re: Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 01:17:21 pm
anything except boreals.
nothing better than 5.10 for stickiness

erm, sam

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 01:29:20 pm
Come on Sam! I'm sure you must have heard me rattling on about how amazing the Muira Velcros are for everything (and I climb 99% grit). I used to swap to my greens  for smearing etc but I don't bother now as the Muira VS are totes smegging tuff rocket.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#7 Re: Shoes for Grit ?
October 12, 2013, 08:46:58 pm
You like instinct laces, but want something a bit softer?

Like a velcro version, you mean?

Quite stiff initially, mine seem to be breaking in just fine. i bought them for grit, don't get on with anasazis.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal