UKBouldering.com

CAC 2014 calendar (Read 48644 times)

ian dunn

• player
#25 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 11:19:00 am
Hope those for sale at The Works are wrapped in plastic and they have some laminated wipe clean specials!!!!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#26 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 11:21:43 am
Hope those for sale at The Works are wrapped in plastic and they have some laminated wipe clean specials!!!!

me too as I'm forever spitting my tea out in the morning looking at my hectic schedule

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#27 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 11:40:37 am
When strutting around in vests...

Who would actually be disappointed by a "phwoar" reaction from a female climber?
Andi_E and all the other hysterically outraged bandwagon-jumpers defenders of morality and virtue in the DFBWGC thread RIP  >:(

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 12:41:27 pm
I wish they'd decided to produce a calendar with them all crushing hard problems, fully clothed (or the approximation of it necessary for strenuous exercise) rather than this crap.

I'm not interested in pictures of some bird in a rubbish outfit posing for an average photo.  Nor would 52% of the population without a Y-chromosome I imagine.

Yet, had they produced a calendar with them all on their hardest problems, I'd have bought that.  And felt happy that the proceeds went to charity.

This just leaves me shaking my head.  And also thinking, rightly or wrongly, about previous opinions on objectifying women.  Before at least one of them didn't like it IIR twitter correctly.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#29 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 01:21:21 pm
Fully in agreement with Lund on this one. A calendar of them all crushing hard problems would be awesome. I could buy it for my daughter and show how women crushing is more normal than ever and somethign to be proud of. I am hardly going to buy her a calendar with lots of the same women posing.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#30 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 01:29:09 pm
I'll third Lunds opinion. Obviously they're all very attractive but I'm not sure how that meant to inspire me or my partner?

Always wanted to get one of these but hard to get outside of the US
http://stores.sharpendbooks.com/-strse-72/2014-Calendar-and-Free/Detail.bok

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#31 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 01:32:32 pm
I wish they'd decided to produce a calendar with them all crushing hard problems, fully clothed (or the approximation of it necessary for strenuous exercise)
Have you seen The Pooch's usual bouldering outfits??

Before at least one of them didn't like it IIR twitter correctly.
Maybe they've grown up a bit and realised the whole objectivication thing is complete bollox, especially compared to having a bit of fun showing off a bit.

Edit: FFS I'm at it again. I might just have to STFU and buy an extra calendar for a friend's xmas present each time someone posts complaining about it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:38:01 pm by Fiend »

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#32 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 01:59:36 pm
Calendars such as this one make me feel exploited and, therefore, I won't be buying it ........

petejh

• forum hero
#33 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 05:36:19 pm
I wish they'd decided to produce a calendar with them all crushing hard problems, fully clothed (or the approximation of it necessary for strenuous exercise)
Have you seen The Pooch's usual bouldering outfits??
The last time I bothered to check I'm sure Alex Puccio, Mina, Shuana Coxsey or any of the others weren't climbing in nurse's outfits or their underwear and high heels.  ;D

So what's the point of the calender other than to titillate? With the emphasis being on tit.

It looks to me like Shuana et al's take on Sex-Positive Feminism.

To quote the font of all knowledge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-positive_feminism:
Key Ideas
...There have been two strains of feminist thought on the subject. One tendency has criticized the restrictions on women's sexual behavior and denounced the high costs imposed on women for being sexually active. This tradition of feminist sexual thought has called for a sexual liberation that would work for women as well as for men.
Critiques
Works that critique sex-positive feminism include those of Catharine MacKinnon (1987), Germaine Greer (1999), Pamela Paul (2005), and the essays in Dorchen Leidholdt (1990), among others. Their main arguments are that certain sexual practices (such as prostitution and pr0nography) are exploitative toward women and have historically benefited men rather than women, and that thus, the indiscriminate promotion of all kinds of sexual practices merely contributes to female oppression.

Ariel Levy in her 2005 book Female Chauvinist Pigs also critiques sex-positive feminism. While not being opposed to sex-positive feminism per se, nor wishing to specifically proscribe certain forms of sexual behavior, she sees a popularized form of sex-positivity as constituting a kind of "raunch culture" in which women internalize objectifying male views of themselves and other women. Levy believes it is a mistake to see this as empowering and further holds that women should develop their own forms of sexual expression. The response by sex-positive feminists to Levy's book have been mixed; Susie Bright viewed the book quite favorably, stating that much of what can be seen as "raunch culture" represents a bastardization of the work of earlier sex-positive feminists such as herself.[10] Others, such as Rachel Kramer Bussel, see Levy as largely ignoring much of the female-empowered sexual expression of the last 20 years, or misinterpreting it as internalization of male fantasy.[11][12] Kara Jesella argued that sex-positivity may not necessarily be empowering, but it may also not be disempowering.[13]

Critics of "fun feminism" such as Maureen Dowd wrote of 'bimbo feminism, giving intellectual pretensions to a world where the highest ideal is to acknowledge your inner slut'.[14]

According to Ferguson, sex-positive feminists' only restriction on sexual activity should be the requirement of consent, yet she argues that sex positive feminism has provided inadequate definitions of consent.[15] Also, in an effort to reconcile radical and libertarian feminism, Ferguson argues that sexual behavior should be either basic, risky, or forbidden, specifying that forbidden sexual practices "include incest, rape, domestic violence, and sexual relations between very young children and adults,"[16] as well as any other activities for which there is evidence of resulting subordination. This evidence is key for Ferguson in identifying a forbidden sexual activity. Since consent is so problematically defined, Ferguson's categorization of forbidden sexual activity circumvents the issue of consent entirely.

I'm ambivalent about it, I'm probably 60/40 towards thinking how is this calender good for much more than being teenage climbers' masturbation material and hence benefiting men more than women, but the CAC association makes it a wank for cancer - Hooray!  :dance1:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#34 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 05:40:11 pm
but the CAC association makes it a wank for cancer - Hooray!  :dance1:
Brilliant, they should use that in advertising it  :2thumbsup:

Jay d

#35 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 06:45:39 pm
They should sell a wank for cancer tshirt  :wank:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#36 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 08:10:30 pm

Surely it should be 'Wankers Against Cancer'. Good acronym.  ;)

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#37 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 08:17:59 pm

Surely it should be 'Wankers Against Cancer'. Good acronym.  ;)

Good way at keeping prostate cancer at bay!

It's Wac-a-day!

Doylo

• forum hero
#38 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 08:21:21 pm
I reckon wanking for charity could be a good way to increase male participation in charitable activity. Less effort than running a marathon and no training required.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#39 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 08:25:53 pm
Good way at keeping prostate cancer at bay!

Sadly ironic :(

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#40 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 08:34:18 pm
I reckon wanking for charity could be a good way to increase male participation in charitable activity. Less effort than running a marathon and no training required.

Practise makes perfect

petejh

• forum hero
#41 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 08:39:26 pm
The First Wankathon in China: First Masturbation Contest for World’s Aid Day in China http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/03/chinese-wankathon_n_2232063.html

spot the fake tits...
#26 looks like Rowan Atkinson's deviant brother.

ian dunn

• player
#42 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 09:51:09 pm
Have a word with the CAC founder and an acronym for CAC could easily be: Can't Actually Cum! one of the effects of prostrate cancer and the drugs used to fight it.

Great effort by Shauna and all having a laugh and producing a calendar that will appeal to many.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#43 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 09:57:41 pm
Too much info Squawk. Some things should remain private.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#44 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 07, 2013, 10:40:02 pm

#26 looks like Rowan Atkinson's deviant brother.

Mr Giving it some Beans

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#45 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 15, 2013, 07:31:21 pm

Part of the shoot I assume. Horrific stuff.

dave

#46 CAC 2014 calendar
October 15, 2013, 07:36:04 pm
I sincerely hope the second from the left isn't appearing in the calendar. #yewtree

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#47 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 15, 2013, 11:33:18 pm
We gonna chip in together to get 3-9 one??

nah, he only has eyes for Barrows

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#48 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 27, 2013, 07:07:18 pm
I wish they'd decided to produce a calendar with them all crushing hard problems, fully clothed (or the approximation of it necessary for strenuous exercise) rather than this crap.

I'm not interested in pictures of some bird in a rubbish outfit posing for an average photo.  Nor would 52% of the population without a Y-chromosome I imagine.

Yet, had they produced a calendar with them all on their hardest problems, I'd have bought that.  And felt happy that the proceeds went to charity.

This just leaves me shaking my head.  And also thinking, rightly or wrongly, about previous opinions on objectifying women.  Before at least one of them didn't like it IIR twitter correctly.

An explanation: http://www.minalesliewujastyk.com/cac-calendar-thoughts

Well written I thought, and well considered.  Do I agree with it?  It matters not really, but it did make me think.  It's worth a read.

What exactly is my problem?

I'm not against photos objectifying the human body.  I am very much in favour of photos objectifying the human body - remember the shots of naked olympians in advance of London 2012?  They were great.  And I didn't feel - although many would - that it denigrated the female body.  There were men in it too.

That was of a higher class than this calendar obvs (i.e. more art than glamour), but the point remains: it's OK to celebrate the human form, in whatever way.

What made me write my original comment above, I think, were the responses on here.  Too many of them are equivalent to a forty year old male grabbing the buttocks of a 19 year old in hotpants as she walks past in a bar.  The hotpants aren't the issue, nor is the fact she knows they're hot; she's wearing them for the 19 year old boy, not the forty five year old guy.  And she shouldn't get her backside groped.

So Mina et. al., I apologise for saying you shouldn't have made the calendar.  I take it back.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#49 Re: CAC 2014 calendar
October 27, 2013, 07:21:46 pm
Maybe they've grown up a bit and realised the whole objectivication thing is complete bollox, especially compared to having a bit of fun showing off a bit.

I'm sorry, what?  Objectification is complete bollocks?

Let's just address that shall we?  From wikipedia - as good as anything:
Objectification more broadly means treating a person as a commodity or an object, without regard to their personality or dignity.

Sounds like a pretty good definition for me.  So, then, do we think that comments about wanking over the calendars, whether you're saying you will or not or a teenager will or whatever - does that fit the definition above?

I'm pretty certain that it would.  I don't know any of the people involved, but my girlfriend wouldn't appreciate people talking about wanking over pictures of her.  She would feel that was an assault on her dignity, would feel offended, upset, and violated.

Objectification complete bollocks?  You're sadly lacking in empathy or understanding, or both.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal