UKBouldering.com

New Forest options (Read 6416 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 07:39:06 am
Heading to the New Forest for a family holiday in August. I'd like to get out climbing if possible, what are my options if any?
I'm not going to be able to take much gear with me, probably just shoes and chalk (and perhaps a harness if there is a willing partner knocking about??).
Cheers knowledgable folk :)

Dr T

• forum hero
#1 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 07:46:50 am
Not a great deal of rock - I'd guess Lulworth (some beach bouldering - need a mat though - and DWS) is probably closest but in terms of travel Portland wouldn't be that much further.
Otherwise it'll be indoors at Calshot..
welcome to the rockless south  :(

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 09:24:23 am
I don't know much about the bouldering down here but I think your options are limited to The Agglestone (apparently one of 25 things to do in Dorset before you die, which says more about Dorset...), Lulworth, and bits on Portland.

Some of the sport climbing is good by UK standards, worth bringing a harness for.  I've come to really enjoy the trad. down here. It's not Pembroke but there are some excellent adventures to be had. I don't partake myself, but DWS the one facet of Dorset climbing I wouldn't be embarrassed to introduce to a visitor from, say, Boulder or Munich.  This is where it all started.

Swanage is about 1-1.5 hour, depending on which bit of the forest you're in, Lulworth or Portland slightly longer. Traffic around Bournemouth could be carnage at the wrong time on a sunny day though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:30:33 am by duncan »

iain

• forum abuser
#3 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 10:22:27 am
Topo for Lulworth bouldering here
I've only been once and although it's tidal and small it's better climbing for a quick bouldering visit than Portland, (Portland has a lot more though, if spread out.)

The Agglestone is fun for a play, but you'll very quickly be doing eliminates.

Routes are where it's at down here though, loads of quality stuff to go at. I won't be around any more when you're here but some of the ukc fit club crowd are down Portland way a lot, and Swanage is great. (I know folk who'd be keen for E grade trad or dws if you'd like a contact.)

Traffic around Bournemouth could be carnage at the wrong time on a sunny day though.
:agree: Leave early, return mid-afternoon or evening, not in between.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#4 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 10:28:12 am
nik

I was actually considering a weekend trip in august to swanage for a dws/sport trip if you fancy that

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 10:37:46 am
Cheers funksters. It all sounds like there may be a bit of potential...

I'm going the second week of August I think (you're away that week aren't you Duncan?) and I'll find out where we're staying and check out distances and such like but a sport/DWS hook up sounds like the embryonic stages of a plan to me Grubes. Have you been down before?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#6 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 11:42:24 am
no just friends parent lives in poole and keen to check it out.
The photos of this place looks amazing http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=253

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 11:49:46 am
Right checked a few details and I'm staying in Ringwood which google tells me is just over an hour from Swanage. Frustratingly we are there from Sunday 11th until Friday 16th which means I'd only be able to climb on Monday to Thursday (i.e. I'll only be able to get out for a day, or possibly two, midweek. Not that I'll have all week free to climb). I guess that won't work with your weekend plans Grubes? Anybody else about? I'd probably be keener for sport (or trad, but won't have space for a rack so that's off the cards) than DWS tbh but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#8 Re: New Forest options
July 05, 2013, 12:52:03 pm
No will be a friday till sunday PM job

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal