UKBouldering.com

[Yorkshire] [Hebden Gill] [The Dusty Windowsills] [6B+] (Read 2959 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I seem to be grading everything as 6B+. Who knows? :shrug:

On the clean, overhanging, downhill face of a prominent boulder beneath the crag is a distinctive horizontal rail. Start below the rail on good pockets, gain the rail and make a long move left to the arete. From here, a long move (cunning heel on the rail) gains the top. The landing looks appalling but the FA was done without pads; the boulders behind will catch you soon enough if you fall.

I was quite chuffed with this. The climbing is real quality, if not slightly cramped by the blocks behind you. Its not too hard not to dab when you know the right sequence. If anyone repeats this I'd love to know what you thought of it.

andy_e

• forum hero
Good work Will, this place has been on my list for a while to check for potential!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=222148

You can kind of see what's going on here.

The Rail Boulder by Hunta_998, on Flickr
The Dusty Windowsills by Hunta_998, on Flickr
The Dusty Windowsills by Hunta_998, on Flickr

How do I link properly from Flickr?! Have they removed that capability?
Will
there is picture an arrow coming out of a box at the bottom right of the image which gives you the bb code

-edit- resized pics

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Is it just me, or does that scream "dyno"?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Not something I'd considered yet but yes it does. The next obvious things to be done are to eliminate the left arete via a leap or a very long rock up on the rail. The right arete will also go without much difficulty but it was too midgy last night to investigate. A cool day will yield a traverse of the rail.

There is also a very steep problem just next to this boulder. The landing will need a lot of pads but it would be well worth seeking out. Mid to high 7s I would have thought to the grade? Its definitely not been done before. Starting on undercuts, move up to a crimp mid-face. Flick up for the top. The nature of the boulder field at Hebden means that you'll need to pack the hole at the bottom of the problem with a few folded pads. The crux crimp will need a bit of a brush to remove the scrittly bits.

andy_e

• forum hero
Looks ace Will. Good find!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
The nature of the boulder field at Hebden means it's ideal for a bit of patio building

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal