UKBouldering.com

Pea Protein (Read 8225 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 12:23:05 am
Has anybody used this? Does it taste of peas? Not that i object to peas, but the thought of them in a post climbing shake is a bit gross, frankly.  :sick:

It does not seem to be available in flavoured varieties...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#1 Re: Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 02:37:27 am
Doesn't taste of much. Best to add flavour such as chocolate powder/vanilla/almond essence.

TobyD

• forum hero
#2 Re: Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 08:15:01 am
Doesn't taste of much. Best to add flavour such as chocolate powder/vanilla/almond essence.

cheers. That sounds ok. Although my only reason for the interest is that it appears to be the only gluten free supplement available - unless there are any dairy based ones anyone knows of?

Stubbs

#3 Re: Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 10:26:17 am
Hi Toby

I assume hemp protein is also gluten free, but that definitely has a somewhat challenging flavour!

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 08:30:20 pm
For the record, I found pea protein to have a similarly challenging taste to hemp protein.

From here
http://community.myprotein.com/diet-nutrition/35644-popular-mp-products-gluten-free-coeliac-thing-going.html
It seems to suggest my proteins impact whey (most flavours) is gluten free and I can say that it is pretty delicious (choc smooth flavour anyway) so I would go for that, perhaps after double checking it is indeed gluten free with mp.

mikester

• regular
#5 Re: Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 09:34:14 pm
Maybe I've misunderstood, but all protein powders should be gluten-free (except perhaps for disclaimers about traces), unless they're full of strange 'valued-added' products.

TobyD

• forum hero
#6 Re: Pea Protein
June 09, 2013, 10:34:55 pm
Maybe I've misunderstood, but all protein powders should be gluten-free (except perhaps for disclaimers about traces), unless they're full of strange 'valued-added' products.

possible traces matter if you are coeliac, i believe. Sub 20 parts per million is ok, apparently. Thanks for the advice all, i'll probably just email MP, as i have used their whey stuff in the past, and it seems fine.

mikester

• regular
#7 Re: Pea Protein
June 10, 2013, 07:42:15 am
Yeah, traces definitely matter. My girlfriend is a coeliac and suffers terribly with contaminated food, although she regularly uses MP products without trouble.

TobyD

• forum hero
#8 Re: Pea Protein
June 11, 2013, 12:10:14 am
Yeah, traces definitely matter. My girlfriend is a coeliac and suffers terribly with contaminated food, although she regularly uses MP products without trouble.

that is reassuring - cheers. Some of them contain malt derivatives, according to the ingredients but this seems to be clearly stated.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#9 Re: Pea Protein
June 11, 2013, 09:37:06 am
If you continue having problems, skimmed milk is spot on...  will also contain less fat and carbs... (add carbs as you wish, i.e. a banana, some choc powder...)

abarro81

• forum hero
#10 Re: Pea Protein
June 11, 2013, 10:06:07 am
If you continue having problems, skimmed milk is spot on...  will also contain less fat and carbs... (add carbs as you wish, i.e. a banana, some choc powder...)

You're on crack. The fat content per g protein is slightly less, but it's negligible anyway. The carb content per g protein is around 20 times higher in milk than in standard MP whey (yes, I just looked it up).

psychomansam

• forum hero
#11 Re: Pea Protein
June 11, 2013, 05:09:02 pm
Ah, yeah, I couldn't be arsed to look the product up. Pure protein powder will obviously have loads less. I was thinking of 'shake' mixes.
Milk still has less carbs than is required for recovery from a mixed workout (including cardio) and probably about the right amount for a training session.

And a note to all those protein-using boulderers, who I doubt will listen, but it's more effective before a workout than after. Split your dose into half/half before and after if you like.

P.s. I'm trying to get off the crack. A man of your profession should know better than to mock drug use ;-)

TobyD

• forum hero
#12 Re: Pea Protein
June 12, 2013, 11:00:21 pm
In case anyone is interested: MP's line:

I can advise that the following products are all gluten free.

Impact Whey Protein
Impact Whey Isolate
True Whey
Native Whey 95
Milk Protein Isolate
Pea Protein Isolate
Hemp Protein
Brown Rice Protein
Soy Protein

The Bannoffee, Latte, Mocha, and Toffee flavours are not gluten free due to them containing malt. It must also be noted that due these being manufactured in a facility that handles with gluten products it cannot be guaranteed that these will not contain traces of gluten.

I hope this helps,

Steve
Myprotein Nutrition Team

Tyco

#13 Re: Pea Protein
June 27, 2013, 02:30:45 pm
I'm vegan and gluten free - the protein powders I usually use are pea, hemp, or soy.
Pea was the hardest, cause it just tastes rank. Soy is ok. Hemp tastes a bit weird, but you get used to it.
What I found easiest was to get some pea and hemp, use a mix of the two and add a table spoon of peanut butter. The peanut butter totally covers up the taste, and adds a little extra protein to the mix ;)

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Pea Protein
June 27, 2013, 05:13:43 pm
Never tried it but heard from a few different people that pea protein tastes bad. I'd just stick with a decent quality whey which contains mainly isolate (ON Gold Standard or Reflex being best IMO)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal