UKBouldering.com

Digital hi-fi (Read 10033 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
#25 Re: Digital hi-fi
August 10, 2013, 03:36:48 am
I think there are some fairly in depth threads on NASs elsewhere on the forum, try a search?

The NAS part shouldn't be a problem thanks, what baffles me is the options for getting decent quality music & films from the NAS to the TV & stereo...

chris j

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Digital hi-fi
August 10, 2013, 04:12:09 am
Thanks underground, this all sounds like good stuff!

Fundamental question - how are you connecting your TV / blu-ray etc to the airport express? You have a new smart TV that believes in the internet and knows what serviio is or there is another box between the internet & TV (similar to the Sonos connect box or the onkyo mini butters is looking at)?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#27 Re: Digital hi-fi
August 10, 2013, 12:13:59 pm
For reference this is the Onkyo mini system that I am looking at - does everything that I need it to do and also has CD and DAB on it which I wanted for those occasions when a new CD drops through the post and you just want to listen to it without having to rip it first.

@ underground - the NAS is still under my bed awaiting drives at the minute! I know which ones I want to run in it (2 x 2TB WD Red's) but as previously noted other things keep getting in the way of it getting ticked off the list.  Welcome to my world.... ::)

underground

• forum hero
#28 Re: Digital hi-fi
August 10, 2013, 05:10:38 pm
Thanks underground, this all sounds like good stuff!

Fundamental question - how are you connecting your TV / blu-ray etc to the airport express? You have a new smart TV that believes in the internet and knows what serviio is or there is another box between the internet & TV (similar to the Sonos connect box or the onkyo mini butters is looking at)?
Yep, I think the Blu ray is DLNA compatible, so it can recognise the server and browse folders etc. it's just plugged I to the airport by Ethernet cable

chris j

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Digital hi-fi
August 10, 2013, 06:43:15 pm
Ok, thanks a lot for the help and suggestions. My old school (2007) TV & blu-ray don't believe in such things as ethernet so I think my best way forward will be something like a Netgear Neotv for the video & music streaming (I was thinking to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a home cinema that could stream but most I've read about claim to only stream audio from a NAS). I believe the Sky box can get iPlayer, 4OD etc. Depending on how I get on with HDMI connections etc it might be worth replacing the stereo with a home cinema unit anyway (reasonable quality seems much cheaper than when I last looked 10 years ago) and then the stereo can move up to the office and be used as an overly posh pair of speakers for the computer...

Off topic but out of curiousity does anyone use Homeplug for network connections through the mains sockets around the house?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal