UKBouldering.com

peak district: car park safety, van sleeping. (Read 11557 times)

ghisino

• forum abuser
Hi,

i might be having a short trip to the peak in april, willing to sleep in my van.

i'd like to know:

-what is the current situation regarding car parks during the day (broken windows etc). Best i can do is arrange the van so that it is tidy and nothing valuable is clearly in sight, but the trunk will be covered by my bed structure, and i'll have a foreign plate number.

-where to sleep : i'm looking for a cheap campsite or a car park that does not imply access or safety issues.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Break ins are thankfully still rare in the Peak. I always draw the curtains when not in my van, in the hope that thieves might be put off by the idea that the van might have someone in it.
I've slept in the large carpark between Tideswell and Millers Dale a number of times without being hassled. I think the crag parking under Raven Tor is a good bet too.
Other than that, as a general rule I rate parking in villages/towns if you are a bit unsure. Good access to pubs, and nobody looks twice at a parked van in an urban area. Obviously some facility to micturate inside the van is vital for town parking.

scottygillery

• player
I always draw the curtains in my van, but thats because its dirty.

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
I've been in your van scotty, and that isnt dirt, its immorality.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If you want a doss in Sheffield or just a shower PM me though will be in Font till 16th.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Also, how about sleeping in a pub car park...assuming you're going to go for dinner and a couple of beers in said establishment I'm sure the publican would be happy to let you park there.

Off the top of my head the Robin Hood near Birchen, The Grouse near Froggatt and The Bridge in Curbar would be some grit-centric shouts.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The Three Stags Head is also a good option with cheap rudimentery camping available, plus a good cheap cafe on the other side of the road. It's near to the lime but only a few miles from the grit too.
 http://www.whitebeertravels.co.uk/stags.html

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Used to do the same with the Fox House too, but that was pre it going upmarket.

lurcher

• regular
You should be able to park up overnight at the Monsal head pub as well.   The main car park at the back has toilets and  is council owned i think and the overnight fee from ticket machine is about £4 iirc.

certainly ok for a night or 2

Anywhere round stanage/burbage etc pretty good chance of being moved on.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
If you want a doss in Sheffield or just a shower PM me though will be in Font till 16th.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal