UKBouldering.com

realisation you are not the climber you were (Read 32763 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
random double post. I edited it to try and sound less narky.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I had a great day at Kentmere yesterday with Old Cheese. Last time I was there I was climbing considerably better and more regularly, but this time I managed to get up a host of problems I couldn't manage previously including a flash of a 6A+ and got close(ish) on a 6C+ and a 7A+. I have barely climbed at all for the last few years but seem to have the fire back in my belly to get out and climb again. I'm sure I'll keep improving, but don't seem to remember my skin being so rubbish!  :wall:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
Is that Webb-Parsons?  :off:

petejh

• forum hero
 :lol:

MAGGIE!!

crimp

The realisation came to me when i went to buy my last pair of stickies and gave the assistant my street shoe size.

Also:

complaining that nobody makes a decent proper stiff edging boot like the old crofts or verticals anymore.

Deciding that Ron hill tracksters are not only perfect climbing trousers, but best for just about every occasion.

Wondering where to buy my knee length ribbed red socks now millets has gone.

But mostly knowing I'll never be anywhere near as good as i was 28 years ago (and i was shit then)

runt

• obsessive maniac
Think Jo Montchausse, didn't start till late and got to over 8a , still solid and must be 60 ish now. I forget to remind myself living in font might help, and if he'd climbed from birth would probably make ondra look average.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
My best period have been during or after long trips away. I suspect if I could go on another 6/12month trip I could easily match previous levels. But age brings ties/responsibilities and I can’t see any big trips happening. So it’s not the bodily aging that is the limiting factor, it’s the inexorable force of domestic gravity which tends to grow with years. Like a whale covered in an ever increasing weight of barnacles. His body may be fine but the barnacles are here to stay so what value is there in treating them as externalities.
Ultimately, whatever the underlying limits are, writing yourself off will always be a self fulfilling prophecy.

ianv

• forum abuser
font or French 8a?

Why would you not have a chance? Obviously I can think of loads of valid reasons but physical ability isn't one of them.

Was thinking French, not sure I ever got up anything resembling Font 8a  :weakbench: .

Main reason is that every time I start to progress, I nail myself riding the bike and end up in a sling for a month or so  :wall: .

Duma

• forum hero
writing yourself off will always be a self fulfilling prophecy.
Ain't that the truth.

Dolly

• forum hero
writing yourself off will always be a self fulfilling prophecy.
Ain't that the truth.
+1

Duma

• forum hero
FWIW, I'm 35, have been climbing for 19 years, never stopped for more than a few months, and generally try to improve. For a few years I felt like I'd be happy to just maintain my (then) level, and suprise suprise that's what happened. In the last few years I've been psyched to improve - last spring I climbed my hardest problem ever, and though I don't tie on much these days I'd wager that my hardest roped grade would be readily attainable at my current level. Indoors I currently feel stronger than ever, and just had probably my best comp result last week.

I do take longer to heal these days though (two multi month layoffs in the last four years).

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
So it’s not the bodily aging that is the limiting factor, it’s the inexorable force of domestic gravity which tends to grow with years. Like a whale covered in an ever increasing weight of barnacles. His body may be fine but the barnacles are here to stay so what value is there in treating them as externalities.
+1  :agree:

andy_e

• forum hero
This might be the most depressing thread on here...

205Chris

• forum hero

+1

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
I'm certainly not the same ignorant, arrogant, narcissistic climber I was when I was younger, which to me is a GREAT THING!!!!!

granted its pretty easy to be positive when I'm climbing both better and harder than ever in my life, while having a more fulfilling overall life.  Have faith, it can be a good thing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Its clichéd (and massively over-used, so I won't explicitly state it), but does it matter if you can't climb the grades you used to?

The challenge is still there, you can still climb at your limit and project things, they just take longer because you've got some/more barnacles weighing you down.  The process of trying repeatedly/training/eventual success remains the same and thats the enjoyable aspect surely?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Don't forget you can divorce the biggest barnacle too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :lol:

Less so the progeny.

:off: As a complete tangent but since its already been referred to, barnacles have the longest penises in relation to their body size of all animals (can be upto around x32).  They were also the subject of study for Charles Darwin for eight years.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:14:21 pm by slackline »

petejh

• forum hero
Barnacle knowledge from oldie climber thread tangent, this is why I love this site!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Barnacle knowledge from oldie climber thread tangent, this is why I love this site!
:agree:

Plus it made me laugh at loud at work

chillax

• forum abuser
New problem name? "Hung Like a Barnacle"? FWIW I've only been climbing for about 7 years, but I'm certainly not the number-chasing, obsessive, unable-to-talk-about-anything-but-climbing twat I once was. Realized I'm shit so I don't chase numbers any more.

tomtom

• forum hero
Barnacles have such long penises so they can fuck their neighbour(s) without moving. Good skills.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
I want to be reincarnated as a barnacle.  :lets_do_it_wild:

crimp

"The best climber in the world is the one that has the most fun"

Alex Lowe

sort of sums it up. Ultimately grades aren't so important, a vantage point everyone here seems to have gained mostly with age and experience, myself included.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal