UKBouldering.com

realisation you are not the climber you were (Read 32766 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
including XC skiing / skiing / ski touring / snowboarding? ;)

Perfectly ok if you live in a land with lots of snow & no gritstone. One has to do something to get outside in the white half of the year; can't spend the entire winter indoors inhaling chalk dust.

It was just a minor dig at thesiger.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac

And you have to keep the faith.  As soon as you start surfing or mountain biking you know in your heart it’s all over.

Having given this a bit of thought. I've decided its bollocks. If your biking for example is riding to Otley cafe for a scone with TomTom and Jimmy Saville maybe but if you are training hard and competing at your alternative sport. Then you will still have a high level of commitment/ competiveness which when you refocus on your climbing will push you to climb as hard as you can.
You might not be as bold but most people lose that as they get older anyhow.

stuff you start in erm, mid life that needs a lot of skill you're going to struggle to get good at though. I love surfing, and all, but gotta be realistic (ie am considering a move back to bigger boards). Then again, I came third in my first triathalon last year*. Then again again, I've climbed on and off for more than  three quarters of my life (Adel, age 12, car tow rope that broke more t han once) and never been anything other than shite. So I guess despite ticking a lot of  boxes on this thread, I am the climber I was. Unfortunately.

* in my age(d) category. Get me. Whilst failing to beat the mates I entered in order to beat. 

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
never been anything other than shite. ... I am the climber I was.

My situation exactly. I never climbed much above E1/2, 6b/c before, so getting back to my previous "high" point wasn't too hard on the sport side at least. (Trad I don't know yet - I led VI in the Dolomites last summer which I guess should equate to about E1, and am eagerly looking forward to a comeback trip to Wales this summer)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Then again again, I've climbed on and off for more than  three quarters of my life (Adel, age 12, car tow rope that broke more t han once)

Jesus, you started climbing at Adel Crag and actually kept it up?!

rich d

• forum hero
I'm shite but used to be even shiter. So for me I really hope I don't maintain my younger levels.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Jesus, you started climbing at Adel Crag and actually kept it up?!

jumpers for goalposts init.

Unbelievably it's in the new yorks guide though it's more of a spot for mountainbiking and dogging, other fine middleaged diversions.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Indeed, and lighting fires, dogging, and glue sniffing. Though funnily I didn't allude to that in the new book!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal