UKBouldering.com

Shoulder injury advice! (Read 3384 times)

csl

• junky
Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 05:24:54 pm
Just cut my session short because of some shoulder pain. Think i did something to it friday and had rested two days in the hope it was very minor.

Basically, i get some sharp, but not too intense pain in my shoulder when at full lock (and random tinges when pulling things out of bags horizontally, external rotation?). From my limited research i am thinking its my rotator cuff, tho I'm probably wrong. I don't have much disposable income at the moment to spend on seeing a physio.

I do however have a theraband and an extremely strong desire for it to a) not get worse and b) prevent me from climbing for any long period of time.

Questions.

Am i stupid to climb through it? or should i just take a week off now?

Are shoulder strengthening exercises with a theraband pointless after the damage has already been done, or will they help me recover.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Cheers!

John Boy

• The Lambrusco Cowboy
#1 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 05:35:29 pm
IM very HO.

Your shoulder pain is either acute or chronic. If it's acute you will have injured it in a fall or by banging it, I suspect it isn't this.

If it's chronic it will be as the result of a muscle imbalance that has developed over time. If you're young (under 20) ignore it and you will be fine in approximately half an hour.

If you are not young break out that theraband and do all of the required shoulder exercises three times a day until it's better. This may be a week or so, or maybe a month or two?

If you are really not young, 35+, then complete these required shoulder exercises 2-3 weeks for the rest of the time you want to do any climbing.

Good luck.

csl

• junky
#2 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 06:20:49 pm
Cheers for the advice!

Since I'm semi-young, 23. I'll go for a hybrid. Keep climbing but do theraband exercises every day or so.

cofe

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 06:49:22 pm
research your local physios, sell something, then go see one of them.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 07:59:35 pm
research your local physios, sell something, then go see one of them.

:agree:

Shoulder injuries are more varied than fingers and elbows.

rosmat

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 08:28:10 pm
It is quite hard to offer any advice since you haven't described the location of the pain.

However, since you first felt pain on Friday your injury is likely to be in the acute stage.

I would strongly suggest seeing a local physio. It really isn't very expensive, an initial consultation (at which you can expect both a diagnosis and suggested intervention) should be circa 35 pounds.

Money very well spent at this stage!

csl

• junky
#6 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 18, 2013, 08:48:31 pm
@rosmat

It seems as though it hurts inside, towards the top of the shoulder under the end of the shoulder bone.

After a bit of research i think I'm just gonna go to a physio, for some reason i had a much loftier sum in my mind than £35. Not sure where i got the idea from. Cheers for all the advice.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 19, 2013, 12:47:35 pm
My shoulder has felt a bit whack since New Year time I think. Been meaning to get round to seeing the Physio so I guess if its only £35 then I'll go.

More's the point - fuck. When did we become not young?  :boohoo:

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 19, 2013, 01:22:05 pm
When you started looking at buying a house...

Therabanding worked wonders for my "bag of peanuts" shoulder. It's now nowhere near as bad from just a quick therabanding session to warm up with.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 19, 2013, 01:40:08 pm
My shoulder has felt a bit whack since New Year time I think. Been meaning to get round to seeing the Physio so I guess if its only £35 then I'll go.

You're still young Will...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10 Re: Shoulder injury advice!
February 19, 2013, 10:05:02 pm

You're still young Will...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal