UKBouldering.com

New Cycle2Work Bike (Read 5009 times)

metal arms

• menacing presence
New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 01:13:57 pm
I'm getting a new bike on the cycle2work scheme and would like to run my ideas past you helpful bike folk.

I only want to spend about £500 quid as I don't need anything fancy.  I'm going to do a bit of trail centre riding, but nothing too taxing (as I'm rubbish).  I won't use it for actually cycling to work as I've got a singlespeed which is ideal for Liverpool.  I've seen a few I like in my price range but was wondering if there was anything else you people knew of.

Giant Revel 0.5
Giant Revel 1
Voodoo Hoodoo

Is the Revel 0.5 worth the extra £50?  As far as I can tell only the fork is different?

Any advice or other options gratefully received.

Thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 01:20:03 pm
No comment on the chosen models, but I don't think the Cycle2work scheme is of any benefit/value/saving any more since it was restructured.  Just spreads the cost of buying it.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#2 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 01:25:40 pm
Cut and pasted from our employee intranet

Quote from: My employer
Typical saving on a £500 bike package is a whopping £112.90 over 12 months - meaning you've only had to pay £387.10 by the end of the loan (that's 12 monthly payments of £30.18)

But thanks for your concern...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 01:47:41 pm
Cut and pasted from our employee intranet

Quote from: My employer
Typical saving on a £500 bike package is a whopping £112.90 over 12 months - meaning you've only had to pay £387.10 by the end of the loan (that's 12 monthly payments of £30.18)

Does that include the fee for purchasing it at the end of the period which used to be an insignificant amount, but is now much more?

For example a £500 bike is considered be worth 18% after a year, so you'll be expected to pay £90 (unless you are going to sign an extended lease agreement).  Further on the back of an EU Ruling you will have to pay VAT on that too.

If your intranet calculator doesn't take this into account your are saving more to the tune of £22.90 before VAT is levied on the final payment.

You could pay the 3% (£15) deposit and continue to use it for upto three years providing you stay there (otherwise a refund and return the bike).

Of course you would be well within your rights to return your bike to your employers (as the flow diagram linked above shows).

This situation is quite different from how it was set up several years ago.

But thanks for your concern...

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:00:57 pm by slackline »

metal arms

• menacing presence
#4 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 02:02:38 pm
Crikey Slackers, is it a slow work day?

The final payment will be one month's payment spread out over 12 months.  I looked into it to see if it was worth it.  I'll drop you a PM if I want someone to check my workings. 

Anyone got any actual bike advice?

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 02:07:48 pm
Anyone got any actual bike advice?

Wait for Fatdoc to come online... he's the king..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 02:13:26 pm
Crikey Slackers, is it a slow work day?

Unbelievably.

The final payment will be one month's payment spread out over 12 months.

:-\ Doesn't seem to fit with the linked government info on what you pay after one year, sounds similar to before the revisions (I forget exactly what it was when I last purchased a bike through the scheme five years ago).  But thats up to your employers to take care of, and I'm sure they're doing everything correctly.

I looked into it to see if it was worth it.  I'll drop you a PM if I want someone to check my workings. 

No need, I've plenty of other ways of wasting my time thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 02:42:51 pm
Enough time to piss on his chips, but not to be helpful. Sounds reasonable.

Either of the Giants look fine for your needs tbh. It's a reputable bike company, you are buying locally so have full backup and I like the idea of giant revels. I would avoid the other one as a) I've personally never heard of it and b) you will be buying it from Halfrauds.

I'm off to go buy a packet of revels. Sadly not giant.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#8 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 03:09:10 pm
Cheers Chris.  They were similar to my thoughts as well.  Halfrauds indeed.  Sadly my employer in their infinite wisdom has picked them as the mainsupplier, although if we jump through a couple more hoops we can use other shops.  I'll just wait a bit to see if anyone knows if the different fork is worth the extra 50quid (Or a couple of fuck alls a month).

Enjoy Revel in your revels.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 03:13:31 pm
Jump through the hoops if you can, anything to avoid halfrauds.

No revels in the vending macchine, had to taste the rainbow instead.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 03:21:16 pm
Jump through the hoops if you can, anything to avoid halfrauds.

No revels in the vending macchine, had to taste the rainbow instead.

Did this happen?

metal arms

• menacing presence
#11 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 12, 2013, 04:50:46 pm
A couple more choices from different suppliers if anyone has any thoughts...

Cube Aim

Diamondback Response

Trek 4300

Specialized Hardrock

Palomides

• forum abuser
#12 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 13, 2013, 08:57:34 am
Of all the bikes you've linked to, I'm afraid the Voodoo Hoodoo is by far the best.

It's the only one with a 9-speed drive train AND an air fork (Suntour Raidon is equivalent to a Rockshox Recon I think?). It's also a 120mm fork, which means that you've got a bike that could pretty much do anything - some of the others have heavy 80mm forks.

The Voodoo frames were designed by Joe Murray (who was also the designer for Marin and Kona).

Some of the others have slightly better brakes, some of the others are 9-speed, the Spesh is a 29er, but if it were me I'd get the Voodoo.

You've seen this even-more-glowing-than-normal bikeradar review, yes? http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-voodoo-hoodoo-12-46194

The only downside is that it comes through Halfords.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#13 Re: New Cycle2Work Bike
February 13, 2013, 09:24:14 am
Thanks Palomides,

That's just the info I was looking for.

Voodoo Hoodoo it is.   :dance1: New Bike on its way :dance1:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal