UKBouldering.com

Live music 2012 (Read 3709 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Live music 2012
January 04, 2013, 05:43:18 pm
This has been a vintage year for live music for me. Highlights:

The year kicked off brilliantly with King Creosote and John Hopkins playing Diamond Mine in Full (in the company of Falling Down at Methodist Central Hall, Manchester) - completely spell binding - and was rounded off in fine style by Dirty Three at Manchester Cathedral. Two bizarre religious venues but both were excellent. First full concert set by Dirty Three I've seen (seen them at festivals twice including once in 2012) but indoors and with a two hour set this was one the one most vital, thrilling gigs I've witnessed for a long time.

Lucky to see a few 'legends': Van Dyke Parks, Dexys, Jonathan Richman, Van Morrison and Patti Smith. All delivered, Patti was so good I didn't bother going to see the reformed Grandaddy, who were on immediately after.

Falling into the very excited to see were: Mogwai, First Aid Kit, Grizzly Bear, Dirty Three (again), Midlake (first time), Mountain Man, John Grant, bit of Graham Coxon.

Unexpected (nice) surprises: The Staves, Yann Tiersen, tUnE-yArDs, Perfume Genius, TOY, Savages, Zun Zun Egui

Meh: Alabama Shakes, Anna Calvi

Things I managed to miss: Alt-J (twice, the tent was completely rammed on both occassions), Roy Harper (Sorry Fried, clash), Beach House (ditto), Grandaddy (as above, went and sat round bonfire instead).

Gallant

• player
#1 Re: Live music 2012
January 04, 2013, 10:40:12 pm
I can't recall being at many gigs last year, the one that I can remember was seeing Mastodon and The Dillinger Escape Plan absolutely smash Manchester. Dillinger really are a band to see live, even if you don't happen to appreciate their music, just for sheer mentalness of their live performances. Mastodon played a killer set too, absolutely nailed every song.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Live music 2012
January 04, 2013, 11:09:16 pm
How could I forget; Tindersticks were bloody brilliant.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#3 Re: Live music 2012
January 04, 2013, 11:11:00 pm
After years of waiting I got to see My Morning Jacket :) Good gig but not a great turn out. Other good gigs included: Beach House and The XX.

My biggest regret was not going to see The Walkmen as Heaven was one of my favourite albums of the year.

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Live music 2012
January 04, 2013, 11:20:45 pm
After years of waiting I got to see My Morning Jacket :) Good gig but not a great turn out. Other good gigs included: Beach House and The XX.

My biggest regret was not going to see The Walkmen as Heaven was one of my favourite albums of the year.

I was made up to see MMJ in late 2011 but again the turn out was poor. They were moved to the smaller Academy in Manc and even that wasn't full. Don't understand why they're so criminally neglected here: think they rarely play sub-stadium size gigs at home.

Also missed the Walkmen due to another festival clash,

rich d

• forum hero
#5 Re: Live music 2012
January 05, 2013, 06:13:40 am
Stone Roses resurrection in Manc, listening live to songs that have become a fundamental part of my life and have been the background to most of my life was outstanding. That and the fact I was as messed up as I was as an 18 year old and surrounded by my oldest friends who felt the same (were in the same state) made it an almost spiritual experience. (Mind you Ian Brown still can't sing in tune)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Re: Live music 2012
January 05, 2013, 12:13:48 pm
Good thread Andy,

The King Creosote and Jon Hopkins gig in the church was wonderful. Thanks so much for the ticket.

Also saw King Creosote with his band at Festival Number 6 on the stage by the estuary on a beautiful evening.

Bob Mould playing Copper Blue and loads of his own and Husker songs and leaping around to Celebrated Summer with GME.

Sleep in Leeds was just amazing.  Belly shakingly loud stoner rock with Carl Sagan projected onto the backdrop.

Stone Roses at Heaton Park; Seven Seconds and MadBall at Camden Underground; Agnostic Front; the folk musicians in the woods and the male voice choir at FN6; The Early Years on a drizzly afternoon at FN6 with Clm, JB, the Wainwright and Lamacraft; Ragga jungle soundsystem in a hot packed sweaty Notting Hill carnival street.

Stabbsy

• junky
#7 Re: Live music 2012
January 05, 2013, 03:12:51 pm
Bob Mould playing Copper Blue and loads of his own and Husker songs and leaping around to Celebrated Summer with GME.
I was disappointed I missed this one, Copper Blue and Beaster have become some of my most listened to albums over the last few years.

The highlights for me were Stone Roses at Heaton Park and The Jezabels at some tiny venue in Leeds. I have to make more of an effort this year to see more stuff.

fried

• forum hero
#8 Re: Live music 2012
January 05, 2013, 04:11:28 pm
I've managed to watch zero bands live this year. I stopped going to Parisian concerts a while back, standing around politely with no atmosphere at overpriced venues started leaving a nasty taste in the mouth.

I remember going to concerts in London where everyone looked different back in the good ol' days, people danced and even drank beer. I'm sure if I ever go to a concert in London it'll be the same as here now.

I might go if Mr Harper comes to Paris.

Even missed my concert in a church due to car problems.

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#9 Re: Live music 2012
January 05, 2013, 04:54:27 pm
Hard for me and Mrs.Tesla to get out and see live bands at the moment given distance from family / babysitters. We managed to go see The Buzzcocks play in San Francisco.  Pete Shelley was at least three times bigger than he used to be.

I also randomly went to see Killing Joke play at a club in Zurich whilst I was there for work and some colleagues decided I needed a night out, which was pretty cool.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#10 Re: Live music 2012
January 12, 2013, 01:25:23 pm
Been a fairly quite year for gigs for me, but the highlight was seeing New Order at Festival No.6 in Port Meirion. So emotional, I had tears streaming down my face. Made me realise how much those songs mean to me. Johnny Brown had to leave half way through the set - I bet he was gutted.

I love King Creosote but was slightly underwhelmed when I saw them at the same festival - maybe I wasn't in the right 'mood' for it. I did think it was funny how un rock n roll their image was - they looked like they'd just come from digging up spuds at the allotment!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#11 Re: Live music 2012
January 12, 2013, 01:29:30 pm
Oh, and obviously The Walkmen in Manchester a few months back. Much better light show than previous and still awesome. I think the new material is some of the best they've ever done.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Live music 2012
January 12, 2013, 05:52:26 pm
Been a fairly quite year for gigs for me, but the highlight was seeing New Order at Festival No.6 in Port Meirion. So emotional, I had tears streaming down my face. Made me realise how much those songs mean to me. Johnny Brown had to leave half way through the set - I bet he was gutted.

It was three songs in - I still haven't got over it. Especially when it was nominated for festival performance of the year. And then I had to sit in a car for two hours with four others agreeing they'd never rated New Order anyway and we weren't missing anything.  :'(

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#13 Re: Live music 2012
January 12, 2013, 07:12:50 pm
One of my friends does music tours in and around Manchester, which I hear are really good and pretty cheap. I think he's doing a Joy Division one in Feb.

http://www.manchestermusictours.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal