UKBouldering.com

e-reader or tablet or are they now one and the same? (Read 11835 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I actually like the idea of an e-reader being smaller than a book, if it's the same size then I might as well just carry an actual book around.  I'm considering the Kobo Mini or Txtr Beagle.  I quite like the second generation (I think) Kindles, after they took the keyboard off but before they introduced the touch screen, something like that but smaller so it actually fits in my pocket would be ideal.

So a smart phone or Galaxy Note then? :clown:

(I actually bought a couple of programming books whilst in Peru after finishing the books I took, selected white text on black background and found it quite easy to read, certainly easier than I was expecting, best of O'Reilly don't use DRM so I could export it to ePub and then convert to whatever I wanted, far, far cheaper purchasing books through Android rather than direct from O'Reilly!).

tomtom

• forum hero
We got an iPad mini in at work last week and the screen is noticeably larger for a device that's pretty much the same size as others. It's also lighter than e.g. Kindle Fire.

MrsTT received a mini as her combined birthday-Xmas gifts... She likes it - a lot. It's even managed to displace the 3 month old uneaten croissant from her handbag... ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

(I actually bought a couple of programming books whilst in Peru after finishing the books I took, selected white text on black background and found it quite easy to read, certainly easier than I was expecting, best of O'Reilly don't use DRM so I could export it to ePub and then convert to whatever I wanted, far, far cheaper purchasing books through Android rather than direct from O'Reilly!).

Might be useful if I said what I was reading them on which was a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I thought I'd hate due to size, but didn't get bothered by.

I realise not everyone will get on with reading books in this manner, but its a computer that I carry around in my pocket anyway, and with a new laptop I won't be buying a tablet of any form for sometime.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Could anyone help with a duffer's question about Nexus's 'HSPA+'? Is that a way of saying it uses a phone signal, or is it 'merely' enhanced quality WiFi?

Thanks.

tomtom

• forum hero
AFAIK HSPA+ is 3.5G... its 3G but tweaked up to run faster... gets pretty close to 4G speeds if some are believed..

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Humour me here.  3.5G....is that a mobile phone or a Wifi signal? Thanks.

tomtom

• forum hero

Mobile phone signal

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Wifi signals are on the IEEE 802.11 standard and have ratings a/b/g/n (a being the oldest and slowest, n being the newest that has been ratified).

Most devices you buy these days should be 802.11n.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero

IanP

• forum abuser

Worth being aware that you'll need a sim card and data contract to use the mobile signal.  Other option is to use your existing mobile as a wifi hotspot of your contract allows tethering.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Other option is to use your existing mobile as a wifi hotspot of your contract allows tethering.

And if your mobile permits it as many contract phones from mobile companies have had this feature disabled.

tomtom

• forum hero

Worth being aware that you'll need a sim card and data contract to use the mobile signal.  Other option is to use your existing mobile as a wifi hotspot of your contract allows tethering.

You dont need a contract... I use a GiffGaff micro-sim in my iPad - 500mb data (enough for when I'm not near wifi) for £5 a month. PAYG...

IanP

• forum abuser
You dont need a contract... I use a GiffGaff micro-sim in my iPad - 500mb data (enough for when I'm not near wifi) for £5 a month. PAYG...

PAYG or contract you still need to pay for something most of us already pay for on our mobile contracts (and also get a mobile enabled tablet).  I can tether a tablet to my wife's phone on Virgin Mobile and it works great.  My Orange phone doesn't currently allow tethering and Orange state that they charge for tethering - I'll be look to change that in the new year when my contract is up, or will consider changing to a supplier who doesn't charge. 

Paul B

• forum hero
Is there any way that they can tell you've tethered (apart from maybe increased load)? I'd guess not.

Depending on which phone it is, it may be very easy to get back the ability to 'wireless tether'.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Is there any way that they can tell you've tethered (apart from maybe increased load)? I'd guess not.

Depending on which phone it is, it may be very easy to get back the ability to 'wireless tether'.

There has to be some way of them telling because I did an experiment with my new laptop....

Me : Bought my own Samsung Galaxy S2, rooted the phone but use stock firmware/ROM, and I've a rolling contract with Three (no idea if it even permits tethering)

Mate : Contract Samsung Galaxy S2, also rooted (not sure which firmware/ROM he's using), two year (possibly 18 month) contract with Orange (explicitly DOESN'T permit tethering)

Connect my phone to the laptop and I can turn on USB tethering on the phone and access the net no problem.  Disconnect and swap over to friends phone and whilst USB tethering can be enabled no net connection is ever achieved on the laptop, yet the phone, whilst plugged in can surf the net.

No idea how this is done, can't be on total data usage as otherwise he wouldn't be able to use his phone normally.  :shrug:

miso soup

• obsessive maniac

But with e-ink, not backlit, and cheaper...

dave

I often use my phone (on t-mobile) as a wifi point for the ipad, works well, not had any problem with the network.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Orange don't charge me on pay monthly for (Android) tethering but I had to ring them to get them to turn it on.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

But with e-ink, not backlit, and cheaper...

Note the clown, and the first two are obvious advantages of a dedicated reader over a tablet/phone but if you've already got a smart phone how is it cheaper to buy another device?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Well, at risk of taking a slating for being lazy...
I find my iPad just fine.
I have the Bluetooth keyboard for creating more long winded bumff, but generally get by without.
I don't use my laptop at all anymore and I use the pad for reviewing and correcting autocad drawings and igs 3ds as well as word processing and spreadsheet creation/editing. It took me quite sometime to get used to the pad and workout how use it effectively. I still prefer to create dwg/igs on my desktop as I have a huge screen.
Now that I know how to hook up to projectors and third party screens, I also use it for presentations etc.
I have an iPhone on O2 and the pad on Orange/EE so I can always (almost) get 3G, here and abroad (I only have roaming on the phone, so tether when Abroad).
IBooks works well and I have no problem reading the screen. The fact that my phone becomes a mirror of my pad is great and vice versa (all ways have the data at my fingertips).
It was expensive, but cheaper than my laptop!

IanP

• forum abuser

Quick nose around on google and have managed to tether successfully on my Orange HTC Desire by changing details for the Consumer Broudband access point to match the Orange Internet one.  As you say not sure how they could now differentiate between the 2.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Quick question:

Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo ??

Ta.

andy_e

• forum hero
Do Kobo pay tax?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Anyone got any ideas? I've been reading various reviews and the conclusions are very mixed...

andy_e

• forum hero
Ah, Kobo is part of play.com/Rakuten therefore is based in Jersey and don't pay tax either.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal