UKBouldering.com

Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds (Read 4640 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 08:57:45 pm
Word.

My ladyfriend and I are taking the plunge, moving in together and currently seeking a two bed property in any nice area of Leeds. Either city centre or period properties appeal and preferably good transport links (pensioners bus pass soon to arrive).

If anybody is aware of anything that might be of interest, it'd be great to here from you.

Many thanks.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 09:05:11 pm
It takes a special type of person to possess the fortitude in this day and age to wait till your married. Well done Tom. I guess.

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 09:12:45 pm
I've got one but despite it being a period property close to Burley Park station, it's also in Burley and therefore not in a nice bit of town. Would suit a young couple perfectly though.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 09:18:34 pm

Monolith

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 09:30:49 pm
I haven't yet been blown away by anything (unlike might be the case in Burley Park) but thanks Stallioni. I'm a weak man in a strong-minded man body.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 10:46:02 pm
Main "nice" areas to look at would be Roundhay, Chapel Allerton and Moortown but you'll be paying a fair wedge of "young professionals renting" tax living there.

I was paying £650 pcm for a two-bed ex-LA flat in Chapel Allerton, it was nice apart from terribly thin / no sound insulation between me and the flat downstairs. Following some run-ins with the neighbours I ended up moving on.

I'm now living in Meanwood, which is kind of inbetween Headingley and those nicer North Leeds areas - think Kirsty and Phil would describe it as "up and coming" - a bit grimy but we've got a couple of nice bars and even a newly-opened Waitrose. Prices are a bit more reasonable there - I'm paying the same for a lovely 2-bed semi.

Other than that Pudsey is OK, has a rail station link to town and The Depot's on the doorstep. Maybe (depending on your commute / transport) worth looking at the villages / towns out in the countryside too - Otley, Ilkley Pool etc.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:51:34 pm by tommytwotone »

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 10:47:48 pm
Meanwood's where it's at, but you know that Millso. I wish I lived within walking distance of Waitrose, Alfred, Arcadia...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#7 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 10:54:45 pm
Indeed Andi - I went for Chapel A on the basis of a recommendation when I knew very little about Leeds when I first moved here but since I've moved I like Meanwood a whole lot more, Chapel A is nice but it's got a bit of a "Notting Hill Yummy Mummies" feel to it that I'm not very keen on.

You're right - for what it's worth I reckon Alfred and East Of Arcadia are better for a pint than the Chapel A equivalent.

As for being near Waitrose, it's great but blimey my bank account is taking a hammering from "popping in" for a pint of milk and emerging having waxed another £20!

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Re: Wanted: Two bed accommodation in Leeds
October 23, 2012, 11:18:41 pm
Get down Aldi TTT. Bargain prices and good flavours! Then supplement that with Waitrose. I've got living in Meanwood planned out. All I need now is a reason to live in Meanwood.

This poker game is taking shape then...

Millso, if you're keen to check the Burley house out give us a shout.

Monolith

• forum hero
Cheers for the shoutouts lids. M'lady has arranged a few viewings and is keen to live in the city really but I'll definitely put those options forwards. Andi, is this a house you own?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Monolith u told me u were moving to shef with mule. House was right "everybody lies"

andy_e

• forum hero
Yeah, my folks own it. You in town tomorrow? There's a possibility I might be in town for a crush/beer/house viewing...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I lived in Kirkstall for 3 years and liked it as an area. good transport links to city centre (train station can be a bit of a hike from some parts, but busses are good), and easy access to the cliff, caley and points NW. Horsforth is nice too and has enough pubs, restaurants etc that you don't need to go into the city all the time. Same caveat regarding distance to station applies.

tomtom

• forum hero
I lived in Kirkstall for 3 years and liked it as an area. good transport links to city centre (train station can be a bit of a hike from some parts, but busses are good), and easy access to the cliff, caley and points NW. Horsforth is nice too and has enough pubs, restaurants etc that you don't need to go into the city all the time. Same caveat regarding distance to station applies.

+1 - I liked Horsforth... Wheatwood was OK too...

Though theres loads of 1/2 bed flats for rent in the City Centre Blocks... loads were built in the buy to let boom times and many are now empty.. Colleague picked up a bargain there buying a repo off the building society...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Indeed, there are a fair few swanky apartments about but I didn't find that they were that cheap when it came to rentals when I was looking - c.700 quid a month for something 2 bed and decent sized.

Couple that with a lack of parking and crappy plasterboard walls / no sound insulation - I'd much rather live in a proper house!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
TTT are you just trying to get someone in next door to help/motivate you to build the board in your garage?
Have you started it yet?

Monolith

• forum hero
Monolith u told me u were moving to shef with mule. House was right "everybody lies"

Plans changed my man. The bards tenancy was able to be drastically shortened and she told me she couldn't wait any longer to watch me fingerboard every day.

Andi, thanks very much for the offer lid but I think we'll be in the city centre really based on both of our requirements. I'll keep an ear out for anyone else looking that way though.

I lived in Horsforth for three years from 02-05 and it is quite a nice place aye. Just a stones throw from the Chevin too (which I never took full advantage of when I was there). Liverpool certainly has an abundance of city centre lets at negotiable prices owing to the most recent boom phase. Hopefully Leeds might be similar.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
any nice area of Leeds.
Might struggle with this one.

:worms:

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Going to throw in a joker card. Moved to guiseley this summer. I can almost see west chevin. Ilkley in 10 mins, Caley in 7, almscliff in 17.
Train is first stop out of leeds, 12 mins.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Need to add this one in as well. Moved to Saltaire in April. If you're after attractive period housing then its pretty spot on. The rent are laughably low for what you get compared to Leeds. I live near enough next to the train station which means that Leeds centre is a 20 minute commute away. Excellent pub 500m from the door (Fanny's Ale House). Shipley Glen 20 minute walk. Ilkley a short hop over the moor etc etc. Nice community feel that you won't get in Leeds central. Lots of local events, (live Jazz every Sunday in the park)/craft fairs etc.

Definitely worth a look. Only gripe I have is that the last train back from Leeds is at about 20 past 11 which makes it quite difficult to have a proper night out in town.

andy_e

• forum hero
Who needs a night in Leeds when you have Fanny's on your doorstep?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Got friends who live in Saltaire too and really like it. Need to choose right bit though.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Well psyched for some shitstone and real ale sessions in the east once you're settled in Tom! Will's suggestion sounds good!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
<guardianreadersupplement>

Went to Saltaire Festival this year, was well Jackson...another vote from me, love the place. Good to be walking distance from The Glen too.

</guardianreadersupplement>

+1 for Guiseley from me too - nice place, good boozers and you can walk to The Chevin.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal