UKBouldering.com

Metatarsal Fractures (Read 2381 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Metatarsal Fractures
September 27, 2012, 10:58:13 pm
Worth a punt to see if anyone on here has personal / professional experience of metatarsal fracture, and rehab to climbing / running / cycling?....

I have currently been told to be non weight bearing on the foot for over 2 weeks, does this seem excessive? (it is an undisplaced straight fracture across base of MT5).

Any really good rehab tips?

Given that my roadie shoes are probably stiffer than the pot that is currently on my foot, my current thinking is that getting out on t'bike will be first line active rehab.

cheers Toby

galpinos

• forum hero
#1 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 08:53:56 am
Go and see a physio?

;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 09:49:55 am
I had one, it was well over 3 months before I could walk properly on it, and 5 months before it was back to normal. BUT that was probably due the blood flow to my legs being fucked from having a (then unknown) sealed / scarcely existent IVC.

Unfortunately there is little of use I can remember from the recovery process except that blood flow to that area is regarded as poor anyway, so stuff that increases the blood flow could be useful. I was walking on my heel only pretty much straight away, but weight-bearing on the actual full foot was a couple of months at least, for ME.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 09:51:47 am
MrsTT had a small fracture of the 5th Metatarsal a couple of years back.. it turned out to be really niggly in its recovery.. aches and shooting pains for a couple of months after. Her recovery program consisted of watching lots of TV... migth be worth being careful with it?

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 10:08:05 am
I broke bone in my foot many years ago, doing Karate of all things. I was in my alternative career as a racing cyclist, so was desperate not to lose any fitness. I spent lots of time on  rollers, this was before turbo trainers had been invented. i just took the toe clip off one pedal (I told you it was a long time ago) and rested the pot on it.
Worked fine although the pot got a bit mankey. Also used to hobble up the road to local sports centre to do some weights.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 10:16:04 am
I have currently been told to be non weight bearing on the foot for over 2 weeks, does this seem excessive? (it is an undisplaced straight fracture across base of MT5).

This would partly depend on whether it is a stable transverse fracture, or a more unstable Jones Fracture.  It doesn't seem excessive though.

TobyD

• forum hero
#6 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 11:18:03 am
This would partly depend on whether it is a stable transverse fracture, or a more unstable Jones Fracture.  It doesn't seem excessive though.

Yeah, the thing is that the orthopaedic i saw seemed a bit cagey about which it was: actually I'm not sure he was that sure - I have to say that although my orthopaedic knowledge is limited, he didn't seem very sure, or indeed bothered.  >:( I think it was the former.
Fortunately my second # clinic is at a different hospital, so i will get a different opinion at least.

Thanks galpinos, i thought someone might wheel that one out ;D

Lots of crutching about may provide extra shoulder stability training. Lacks some specificity for yarding on tiny crimps though, i admit.

galpinos

• forum hero
#7 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 01:08:34 pm
Thanks galpinos, i thought someone might wheel that one out ;D

My pleasure! On a more serious note, hope it gets better soon. It's a notoriously awkward to heal. My mum had quite a few issues, though she's got a couple of years on you!

TobyD

• forum hero
#8 Re: Metatarsal Fractures
September 28, 2012, 04:48:13 pm
It's a notoriously awkward to heal. My mum had quite a few issues, though she's got a couple of years on you!

This is dependent on the exact # site as far as i understand - as GCW said earlier.  Hopefully my second #clinic appointment will be more informative.

Your comment is ripe for an appalling joke about your mother, but i am going to be restrained and leave it for now...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal