UKBouldering.com

Wanted: Ikea fittings for Benno CD tower (Read 5789 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Wanted: Ikea fittings for Benno CD tower
June 16, 2012, 08:03:33 pm
Bit of a long shot here but thought someone might be able to help...

In the course of moving I've realised that I stupidly left some of the small metal plugs that the shelves sit on in the racks that my ex-landlord had in situ before I moved in. Don't think I'll be able to get them back now as not listed on inventory etc.

I basically need enough for 5 shelves (which I still have), so that'd be 20. Just thought if anyone had a bunch spare if e.g. they'd configured theirs for DVD use (which would leave you load over) I'd be more than happy to taken them off your hands.

Cheers in advance!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Might be worth getting in touch with IKEA customer services to see if they have spares?

tomtom

• forum hero
Wood (ha!) bits of doweling do the job? They dont have to take much weight?

nik at work

• forum hero
Are these the standard little metal pins that are used as shelf supports in lots of flat pack furniture? Or are they something specific to this item?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Ikea used to have a set of little buckets at each customer service desk / pick up area full of all the random screws and wee metal bits so if you were missing bits you could pick up a few extras, failing that, if you go and explain to them they should just give them to you.  I've done it before for bits of a desk that went missing in a move, they were happy to give us what was missing.

tomtom

• forum hero
Buy an mp3 player and bin the cd's? No CDs no rack required :)

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
head to ikea,  if they dont have any at customer services head to bargain corner and see if there are any old salvagable bits. reward yourself with a hotdog

i love bargain corner, managed to save £200 by getting damaged boxed wardrobe carcasses for our house when we moved in a couple of years ago. and the hotdogs are great too

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Cheers all, will give Ikea customer service a shout and see.

...and T2 - having moved 3 times in the last 3 years I am seriously considering digitising my media - as you say a 1TB NAS Drive is a lot easier to pack and move than boxes and boxes of CDs!

In the course of googling for the bits I needed I stumbled across this, Ikea Hackers - people who start with the item and then mod it to their needs:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/

andy_e

• forum hero
That IKEA hackers is genius!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
That IKEA hackers is genius!

:agree:

"those shelves are used by a lot of people, like myself, to store records."

Innit. I imagine most DJ in the western world have Expedits! There's also someone who's converted them into a hamster home. Genius. I'm tempted to make a hybrid vinyl/ rodent one.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
thinking of submitting my wardrobe hack

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
Cheers all, will give Ikea customer service a shout and see.

There are loads of little bins with all these 'consumables' (eg shelf pins, dowels) in them near the returns desk (usually just after the check-out area) at all the IKEA stores I have been in. Just walk in an help yourself.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I love Ikea hacks, my fave was a guy who turned a set of drawers into a server farm
http://helmer.sfe.se/

I've done a couple myself, used some curtain wires and shower curtains to make a horizontal blind for a glazed roof. My work was quoted £5k, I made it for £200.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Boom - called up the Leeds branch and the fella's bunged some in the post for me gratis. What nice people.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
. and the hotdogs are great too

Must be your local one. The ones at  the Edinburgh one are utterly rank.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal