UKBouldering.com

Wanted: smallish hatchback car (Read 6585 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Wanted: smallish hatchback car
June 03, 2012, 07:04:03 pm

3 hours - impressive!

Made me think of this that I read earlier in the week...see caption on the third photo down:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=25744

I was overtaking a car so went from throttle to lift-off + brakes on a damp, tightening corner.  We were pretty lucky really; it was on that bend just above the Gardoms crossroads (coming from Sheff) and we left the road sideways on the wrong side of the road going over 50mph.  Luckily slid along the verge, completely missed the drystone wall.   A passing 4x4 who happened to have a winch pulled us back on the road and the car was totally drivable afterwards...just one whole side was badly dented and the door couldn't be used. 

Never fixed it and kept it for at least a year, then some crazy cut and shutter bought it off me for pretty good money.  Got stopped by the cops in Scotland and they told me it had already been written off. I was young and naive then and didn't bother with an HPI check before buying :)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#26 Re: Wanted: smallish hatchback car
June 03, 2012, 07:39:45 pm
Hatches - I'd be looking at Clio 172 / 182 Sport or a Civic Type R?

Know deposit's been taken on this one but it's bang on the budget and seems to tick the boxes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-2-0-16v-Renaultsport-182-/261032863872?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc6c56880

What about German luxo-barges? Plenty of meaty Audis / Beemers out there at that money.
Already got an audi. Wouldn't get a clio as renault use the same stuff to fix the cars together as 5-10 use to stick the boots together

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#27 Re: Wanted: smallish hatchback car
June 04, 2012, 09:59:07 am
Hatches - I'd be looking at Clio 172 / 182 Sport or a Civic Type R?
What about German luxo-barges? Plenty of meaty Audis / Beemers out there at that money.

I really enjoyed my old 182, but I would avoid the Renaultsport/Type R unless you enjoy working the engine up into the rev band. They are fun when you are on it, but can be tiring on a day to day basis. Also the Clio is a bit small for pads etc.

A luxo barge might be a good idea (but can be pricey if/when they go wrong)

Old style Leon Cupra?

This might be a good idea. Enough torque for day to day driving and big enough for pads.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal