UKBouldering.com

Egg-chasing [northern] news. (Read 3714 times)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 27, 2012, 05:30:10 pm
It appears the wheels might be about to fall off for Bradford Bulls -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17521786

Bradford Bulls say they will go out of business unless they raise £1m, with at least half needed by mid-April.

So maybe the "Premiership" style model with the bulk of the cash going to the eilite ain't quite all it's cracked up to be.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 08:53:35 am
It's working alright for football though. Oh.

rich d

• forum hero
#2 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 09:13:12 am
Rugby league as a franchise seemed to be working in albeit an excluding way to lower league clubs, several clubs were "promoted" only to be refused entry on commercial and promoting the game grounds.
There's a quite well adhered to salary cap which should mean that clubs spend within their means. As a rhino's fan it's really sad to see what's happening with the Bulls. Local derby matches happen a lot in the M62 corridor that is top flight rugby league, but Leeds Bradford is always extra special. Unlike football the fans mix, laugh, banter and drink in the same pubs (with the exception of the Hull sides who don't understand that RL is a family game) the game in the UK needs the health and stability of the big clubs and the matches it produces to keep Sky paying and unlike RU there is no golden international pot to filter down/prop up the structure. Lots of support for Bradford on twitter, hopefully the club can be saved.   

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 09:44:23 am
I'm no Rugby Leage fan or follower, but living in 'ull with its two teams, its impossible to escape chatter in the media from the egg chasers... It strikes me as being perfectly sustainable - but not in its present form.. there is a solid fan base there, but not large enough to justify the present economics... From what I skim read FC and Rovers always seem to be bumping along from crisis to crisis...

*shrugs*

I think there are plently of football clubs who have over stretched themselves and rely on wealthy benefactors/nations - but there are also generally less successful clubs who do OK... and balance the books..

edit: sorry if this is a bit OT..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 10:09:57 am
It's much worse than that tomtom. I believe something like 16 of the 20 teams in the Premier League last year made a loss and the picture lower down is just as bad if not worse. Teams being run sustainably are now in the tiny minority which obviously, by definition, can't carry on for long.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 10:41:04 am
thinks about clubs in championship... Pompey, Donny, Cov....

OK. Rose tinted specs were in full effect earlier. You're right...

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#6 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 06:51:59 pm
Rugby league as a franchise seemed to be working in albeit an excluding way to lower league clubs, several clubs were "promoted" only to be refused entry on commercial and promoting the game grounds.
There's a quite well adhered to salary cap which should mean that clubs spend within their means. As a rhino's fan it's really sad to see what's happening with the Bulls. Local derby matches happen a lot in the M62 corridor that is top flight rugby league, but Leeds Bradford is always extra special. Unlike football the fans mix, laugh, banter and drink in the same pubs (with the exception of the Hull sides who don't understand that RL is a family game) the game in the UK needs the health and stability of the big clubs and the matches it produces to keep Sky paying and unlike RU there is no golden international pot to filter down/prop up the structure. Lots of support for Bradford on twitter, hopefully the club can be saved.

Here you go.

All courtesy of the good people over at "Amber Nectar"

Source: Daily Mail

(I am however, assured that these are actually City fans, and have nothing to do with Rugby League whatsoever.)

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 07:19:57 pm

All courtesy of the good people over at "Amber Nectar"

Not sure what you're getting at here Alice... I know one of the Amber Nectar folk..

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#8 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 07:32:44 pm
Which one?

- I know Tory Boy to a greater or lesser extent

(It's where I got the photographs from, and accordingly I have acknowledged them as a source.)

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 07:50:23 pm
Which one?

(It's where I got the photographs from, and accordingly I have acknowledged them as a source.)

Not sure if its tory boy or not - sit near him at the KC - and sit in front of another fanzine writer/owner... was kind of introduced a few weeks back...

Theres lots of stick for the Hull daily mail, for reporting football violence en mass, but seeming to turn a blind eye to the rugby league punch ups (which happen more frequently it would seem..).... Im a complete ignoramous when it comes to RL - so wont offer any more substantive oppinions about that (except I live in West Hull ;) )

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#10 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 07:57:22 pm
Which one?

Not sure if its tory boy or not - sit near him at the KC - and sit in front of another fanzine writer/owner... was kind of introduced a few weeks back...

Theres lots of stick for the Hull daily mail, for reporting football violence en mass, but seeming to turn a blind eye to the rugby league punch ups (which happen more frequently it would seem..).... Im a complete ignoramous when it comes to RL - so wont offer any more substantive oppinions about that (except I live in West Hull ;) )

[Edit: sent as PM]

rich d

• forum hero
#11 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 07:57:35 pm
Being a previous season ticket holder I've never seen any trouble at rugby league apart from when Hull (both of them) arrive. There seems to be a completely different mentality at RL to football, apart from Hull who seem to think they are coming to headingley to take on the service crew. Nobs. I'm at headingly tomorrow night to watch the rhinos bounce back from our awful display last week. I'll keep an eye out for violence for you all.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#12 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 29, 2012, 08:02:44 pm
Oh yeah.

And as for this "family atmosphere" anyone else remember back in the days of "before t'Interweb" Warrington's fanzine* was the snappily-entitled "Tit, Fanny, and the Wire"

* Younger viewers should ask their grandparents about "fanzines"

rich d

• forum hero
#13 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 30, 2012, 08:58:28 am
My family atmosphere may be biased. Shall I take my daughters to watch the rhinos (including Ronnie doing his dancing) or shall I take them to Elland road? Granted rugby league may not be the kiddies area at Alton Towers but it's a damn site more family friendly than a Leeds United away day.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 30, 2012, 09:07:41 am
My family atmosphere may be biased. Shall I take my daughters to watch the rhinos (including Ronnie doing his dancing) or shall I take them to Elland road? Granted rugby league may not be the kiddies area at Alton Towers but it's a damn site more family friendly than a Leeds United away day.

:) Yup, my experience of the 'family' area at Elland road was not especially family orientated ;)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#15 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 30, 2012, 09:36:47 am

:) Yup, my experience of the 'family' area at Elland road was not especially family orientated ;)

Really?

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Egg-chasing [northern] news.
March 30, 2012, 09:44:55 am
Thats spot on AliceR - except the smart looking chap in the hat, had a habit of suddenly jumping up and shouting "we're going to break your fucking legs you fucking cockney cunts" or words to that effect every 10 min or so....

Fine in the Kop (it is the Kop at Elland Road yes?) or hardcore fans area equivalent - but seemed really out of place in the family area (it was called this) where there really were families.. no-one or no stewards batted an eyelid. Funny old thing - reminded me of the western terrace at a test once, where an old bugger behind me would wake up every hour deliver a 5 min 'cunt' riddled tirade full or racist langauge and nothing happened. Yet when one of the 17 year olds getting steadily pissed next to us moonied about 4pm - he was straight out. None of that sort of thing here sir...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal