UKBouldering.com

when you're absolutely destroyed from a long session? (Read 10200 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Dehydration seems to be a common link in poor recovery for most of us so won't having a sauna make it worse?

I thought the same but did some digging and the answer I came to was "no" if you make sure you stay hydrated (still not sold on Milk yet). I can't remember the specifics but the bodybuilding.com hit in Google summed up what I found elsewhere (i.e. Scholar).

As usual though I also found a paper comparing no post workout activity, ice-bath and sauna that found no difference between the three. Take that as you will.

I couldn't really care less when I was keen for the gym, I had loads of time spare and i'd happily sit in the sauna PWO as I bloody well liked it. I stopped doing so when a guy came in with running shorts on and was 'hanging-out' for all to see. I regularly see him at the sandwich shop I use, the memory isn't a pleasant one to be reminded of. No, this sauna was NOT in attercliffe.

saltbeef

• forum hero
does it propmpt you to order a sausage sandwich?

psychomansam

• forum hero
Dehydration seems to be a common link in poor recovery for most of us so won't having a sauna make it worse?

The sauna proves to me that it's pretty difficult to sweat faster than you can drink. I tend to lean towards overhydration and then piss too much afterward. Which isn't the healthiest thing I expect, but a hell of a lot better than dehydration.

Beginning to wonder whether I should add more milk to my diet. I do love the stuff.

Plattsy

• forum hero
No, this sauna was NOT in attercliffe.
A bit more local Paul?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Beginning to wonder whether I should add more milk to my diet. I do love the stuff.

I've tried it after recommendations on here, and do find it helps. Pint of strawberry flavoured goes down well.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I stopped doing so when a guy came in with running shorts on and was 'hanging-out' for all to see.

Reminds me of meeting Dense at the S10 sauna...

psychomansam

• forum hero

I've tried it after recommendations on here, and do find it helps. Pint of strawberry flavoured goes down well.

Indeed, it's brilliant. The issue is I'm already getting through around 12 pints a week. I'm doing a fair bit at the minute ( http://www.justgiving.com/SMStringer ) and I am struggling with the diet. I keep on waking up hungry, and while I'm trying to lose around a pound a week for the next 8 weeks, I also need my body to keep going. My first thought is I'm going to have to up the rice pudding intake (money is an issue for good nutrition when you're poor and need as many calories as some of us do but tesco value rice pudding is ~13p a tin and is pretty spot on nutritionally). I could certainly add more meat for protein, but it's expensive and not very convenient. Aldi's fat free yoghurt(better than anyone else's) and cottage cheese with pineapple are brilliant. You can smell the protein oozing off the cottage cheese, but I think I need to be a bit more consistent with eating before and after exercise, particularly with running (a fucking pain to eat for. Most of the time I'm either hungry or too full. On a longer run I can even start off horribly full and end up starving!).

Am strongly considering buying powdered skimmed milk and mixing it with a bit of choc powder. If I have that ready to go, I have a good drink for before and after, and I could even take some in the sauna if I'm recovering there. Perhaps I'm just being obstinate by not going down the road of recovery shakes, which I did look at again the other day, but this should be a shitload cheaper, and the science says it's just as good. (If not better). Any thoughts?

p.s. I would like to buy some ready made (sterile) skimmed choc milk cartons/bottles to leave in the car as backup. Anyone know where I can get any? It's really difficult to find stuff not made with semi, and I am trying to lose weight...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal