UKBouldering.com

when you're absolutely destroyed from a long session? (Read 10199 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
finally managed to get out on the rocks to rubicon yesterday and now my body feels like I've been repeatedly hit with a sledgehammer.
Does anybody know anything to do when you get home to reduce this or a way to train to prevent this?
Cheers

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
stretch down after or warm up properly? sorry for the generic answer

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
A hot bath and lots of food often do the trick for me.

Omar15

• addict
i find a buttload of protein and a good sleep works wonders!

ghisino

• forum abuser
stretch down after

some wouldn't agree

research done in the early '00 suggests that stretching does not have a significant positive impact on post-exercise recovery
http://www.svl.ch/Stretching-II/Herbert-Gabriel_Stretching.pdf

furthermore, it seems that if the training session has caused some micro-lesions to a muscle, stretching it might even make things worse.
(btw. advocates of this "school" say that it is ok to stretch for flexibility/ROM purposes, and if possible one should do that in specific sessions far away from other training or sports performance. eg on rest days)

other than that, one thing i'd personally advise is some form of light cardio the day after, 30 mins or so, nothing hard (a 30 minutes jog, a walk in the park, relaxed swimming, piss-easy climbing, etc etc etc)
I seem to recover much better when i can afford this that when i'm being fully sedentary.

saltbeef

• forum hero
an ice bath. not a nice warm bath.
(I don't do this- but it is what ALOT of atheletes, boxers, cyclists do after a hard session)
lots of protein, lots of fluids (not booze - again I generally use Red wine so don't practice what i'm preaching), lots of vitamins (recoup-cycling slang).

Paul B

• forum hero
Also it might be worth considering that you may not warm up as efficiently as you should when outside.

Addressing this may or may not help. I always feel wrecked after a hard day out when the weather is cold. Much more so than a hard day out during Lime season.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
thanks for the great advice everyone by the sounds of this it's the lack of warm up that killed me as i stretched  :worms:, had tons of protein and slept like a log etc. but basically just jumped straight onto the press which in hindsight may not have been the best idea ah well live and learn eh

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
I fully agree with the warm up suggestion. I had a couple of hours at Rivelin t'other day, so didn't bother warming up properly, but warmed up by doing a couple of moves on the problem I wanted to do. It took about 4 days to recover fully.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
This stuff is the shit. Screw warming up, and you'll never need another rest day:

http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-18-sore-muscle-rub.aspx

It'll make you stronger than creatin-steroid laced crack. Probably.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :lol: I've some Badger Balm, although not the muscle ache version. Given to me be a well meaning relative who'd heard it keeps midges away.

Never tried it, a far more effective solution is just to not go where there are midges.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
did it keep the badgers away?

TobyD

• forum hero
Given to me be a well meaning relative

That is the only way that anyone comes into possession of badger balm: exactly how i got mine.

did it keep the badgers away?

Why would you want to?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Must do, I've only ever seen Badgers on TV

(or prostate on the road)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki

A badger's prostate? that'd be quite difficult to spot wouldn't it?

psychomansam

• forum hero
I swear by the sauna. If you're in Sheffield, S10 health costs ~£4, though it's only open til 5 on weekends, which is crap (we're petitioning for longer opening hours). Sauna, cold shower, couple of lengths, steam room, lie on a deck chair, shower, go home feeling fucking awesome...

Also, just remember that protein for recovery is actually more effective taken on before exercise (ideally split it before/after), and that you need to start taking on calories(not fat) within 20 mins of finishing exercise.

I notice a lot of people dehydrate when out climbing as well.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

This makes a big difference to me- if I have much water left when I'm packing my bag to walk back from the crag it's a pretty sure sign I'll be sore the next day. Drinking afterwards doesn't seem to cut it- I need to keep drinking all through the day.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I swear by the sauna. If you're in Sheffield, S10 health costs ~£4, though it's only open til 5 on weekends, which is crap (we're petitioning for longer opening hours). Sauna, cold shower, couple of lengths, steam room, lie on a deck chair, shower, go home feeling fucking awesome...

I miss that, use to be a regular haunt of mine, loved the sauna. Up here in Glasgow it's typically £5.50 sauna PLUS £2.50 pool :S

TobyD

• forum hero
A badger's prostate? that'd be quite difficult to spot wouldn't it?
;D  :lol:

I love the progression from a sensible discussion of ways of preventing DOMS to this.... sorry if that was my doing.

This makes a big difference to me
...and me. I take a flask of hot water / juice / caff free tea out on cold days when it is difficult to force down freezing cold water.

psychomansam

• forum hero
For climbing on a hot summers day, I've easily gotten through four litres before now. (bear in mind i'm not much under 15 stone and fairly sweaty).

Don't know how people survive with a 500ml bottle, or often with nothing. Badly, i presume.

Stubbs

Making sure I have a snack and s drink as soon as possible after climbing has made all the difference for me; I think it's too easy to beast yourself, jump in the car and drive home without eating of drinking first.  Obviously science has proven that a pie and a pint of locally sourced bitter is the most effective recovery snack.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
my body feels like I've been repeatedly hit with a sledgehammer.

I'm curious as to how you know how it feels to be repeatedly hit with a sledgehammer?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I think it's too easy to beast yourself, jump in the car and drive home without eating or drinking first

Too true. In fact its a real blessing that the Norfolk Arms is exactly halfway between Burbage and Sheffield.

Steve R

• forum abuser
i find a buttload of protein and a good sleep works wonders!
Absolutely, a hefty slug of the old maximuscle suppositories sort me right out after a killer session on the comp wall with my weight vest on.  Walking back to the car's a bit trickier but it's deffo worth it!

rich d

• forum hero
Dehydration seems to be a common link in poor recovery for most of us so won't having a sauna make it worse?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal