UKBouldering.com

Showing off (Read 7904 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Showing off
April 01, 2004, 01:55:10 pm
triggered by me trying to do pac-man at burb south one-handed on Sunday, and watching that Bleau vid the other day...

When it comes to showing off, what are everyone elses party pieces?

I've heard of Cresent Arete one handed (reckon that can't be too bad) and seen The Arete at Roaches done statically, one-handed and all (even topped out one handed!)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:01:54 pm
Polish Dave has done Deliverence one handed

Downhill racer one handed - Johnny

"Appranatly Obsession fatale no hands"  though i reckon this impossible - Johnny

Doylo

• forum hero
#2 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:05:01 pm
Sam (mule) and Huffy can do a one arm pull up on the little crimp on the start of blind date, i spose thats a party piece. Mutants.  :shock:

cofe

• forum hero
#3 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:11:48 pm
Quote from: "Chris Doyle"
Sam (mule) and Huffy can do a one arm pull up on the little crimp on the start of blind date, i spose thats a party piece. Mutants.  :shock:

that's right - saw the welsh huff dogg do that the other day - ridiculous. he also does the problem w/out the sloper or the 2nd slot - and he's short: answers on a postcard.

illin.

dave

#4 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:15:49 pm
few weeks back saw harry do crescent arete on the RHS in trainers carrying a rucksack, and breadline in a similar fashion. seen a certain strong lass do deliverance in trainers.

my personal favourites are buckstone dyno lefthanded, taking both hands off at the crux of wednesday climb, and millwheel wall in scarpa paranoias.

scouse's party piece is angle allain at rempart one-handed.

have also witnessed the wall right of The Real 20ft Crack (where the shiznit is) done by 3 consecutive double dynos between breaks.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:39:18 pm
also worth mentioning that the strong girl bounces on directly under the sidepull when doing deliverance in trainers.

Dave - millwheel wall in scarpas is pretty sick.

harry seconded me up traveller in time in socks while pat rainbird was throwing his trainers at him. westie.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:47:58 pm
harry seconded me up traveller in time in socks while pat rainbird was throwing his trainers at him

Go on the mighty nine! What a legend :lol:

Harry's also famous for doing West side story without using the big toe on his right foot. Now thats impressive.

I reckon the top trainer tick is still white wand. I was shitting myself :oops:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#7 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:49:43 pm
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
harry seconded me up traveller in time in socks while pat rainbird was throwing his trainers at him

Go on the mighty nine! What a legend :lol:

Harry's also famous for doing West side story without using the big toe on his right foot. Now thats impressive.

I reckon the top trainer tick is still white wand. I was shitting myself :oops:

Are these propa trainner ascents or cragmasters? Still bloody impressive either way  :shock:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#8 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:54:18 pm
hung out with some v strong locals at Isatis last year who were doing the classic dyno in all sorts of flare ways...

I saw it done:

the 'normal way' (ie with sloper sidepull)
dyno to one hand
double dyno
static (pretty impressive)
feet on top first (as per the bleau vid)

Kim

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:55:05 pm
Quote from: "tommytwotone"
I've heard of Cresent Arete one handed (reckon that can't be too bad) and seen The Arete at Roaches done statically, one-handed and all (even topped out one handed!)

done technical master one handed, but it's not much different... crescent arete would be trickier i reckon

dave

#10 Re: Showing off
April 01, 2004, 02:59:21 pm
Quote from: "Kim"
crescent arete would be trickier i reckon

not to mention a leg-breaker.

you'd have though the storm would be possible one handed.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:06:13 pm
Are these propa trainner ascents or cragmasters

5.tennies, mainly cos thats what people tend to wear at the crag. Hardest in non-stickies (I favour adidas gazelles :wink: ) would be stuff like the knock, long john's slab, buckstone dyno, NTBTA.

Mind you, when the bransby had almscliffe wired he used to do western front, wall of horrors and big greeny in shit-covered wellies to warm up. He stopped one day when he decided it was "getting too silly" :lol:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#12 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:10:29 pm
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
Are these propa trainner ascents or cragmasters

5.tennies, mainly cos thats what people tend to wear at the crag. Hardest in non-stickies (I favour adidas gazelles :wink: ) would be stuff like the knock, long john's slab, buckstone dyno, NTBTA.

Mind you, when the bransby had almscliffe wired he used to do western front, wall of horrors and big greeny in shit-covered wellies to warm up. He stopped one day when he decided it was "getting too silly" :lol:

Silly, noooo  :shock: Was this in his youth, or recently!  :roll:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:17:07 pm
A few years back, whilst at uni in leeds

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#14 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:17:44 pm
on the Deliverance ting, am I right in thinking that Marc Le Men did it static with a right heel on the flake?  :shock:

if so, big up yourself monsieur.

dave

#15 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:27:27 pm
na i think thats an urban myth, le mentrual just did it the rockover way, like dis i think.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:38:27 pm
Urban myths, eh? Where do they come from?

yeah Marc did it the now standard rockover way. I know, cos I was at the bottom trying to give him the beta for the dyno. He also on-sighted the super-direct start, despite me trying to tell him to traverse in from the left. Some people just won't listen  :roll:

To my eternal regret, I went home without bothering to go and watch him try Brad pit. "The fool!" thought I, "he's far too short!" Guess I just don't learn...

dave

#17 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:49:25 pm
Ha ha.

maybe since it was at stanage it should be known as a rural myth.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#18 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:57:08 pm
Showing off! my favourite pastime..

crescent arete one-handed is a good one, as is strawberries one-handed.
Rupert has a nice line in showing off by static-ing the green traverse eliminates (chalk and blow-meister that he is).

On the limestone, the sit start to sean's prob at cragx in three moves is a good-un, as is campussing powerband into rattle 'n' hump.

Of course, the showing off medal goes to the un-named almscliffe local who soloed great western, barefoot and blindflod in nowt but trollies.

....much better than real climbing.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#19 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 03:58:00 pm
Quote from: "cofe"

that's right - saw the welsh huff dogg do that the other day - ridiculous. he also does the problem w/out the sloper or the 2nd slot - and he's short: answers on a postcard.

illin.

Isn't that how everyone does it?  :wink:

Tim Heaton

• addict
#20 Pinches Wall
April 01, 2004, 04:02:16 pm
Was at Raven Tor before Christmas with the old Jason Myers guidebook for Pinches wall. One of the problems mentioned in there was a one arm pullup off the shittest part of a slopey crimp. Don't know if it was ever done but that would be truly awesome  :o

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
#21 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 04:03:56 pm
That one armer is Malcs greatest contribution to UK Climbing.

Don't know of anyone who's repeated it, mind...

dave

#22 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 04:04:22 pm
malcs done that hasn't he?

Tim Heaton

• addict
#23 Showing off
April 01, 2004, 04:08:49 pm
Oh well, guess there's no point me trying now, would only have been interested in the first "ascent"  :wink: and I was so close aswell, a stepladder's not cheating is it?

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#24 Re: Showing off
April 02, 2004, 01:24:08 am
Quote from: "tommytwotone"
seen The Arete at Roaches done one-handed and all (even topped out one handed!)

that used to be my party piece - its actually a little bit scarey topping out with only one hand!

although my showing off at the Roaches was nothing compared to that of Gary Cooper (think thats his surname - memories going a bit) doing his usual round of solo's and getting hands off rests practically hanging upside down off leg jams etc..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal