UKBouldering.com

Android (Read 59693 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#75 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 12:41:59 pm
Dammit - Dollly, you're the second person I know who's got hold of one today, and I'm sat here champing at the bit waiting for mine to arrive!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#76 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 01:05:00 pm
Dammit - Dollly, you're the second person I know who's got hold of one today, and I'm sat here champing at the bit waiting for mine to arrive!
+1. I got a polite email from Google today saying 16gb ones aren't shipping til next week! He I am jonesing for my Nexus fix.

If I'd bought it from ebuyer I would have saved a tenner and it would probably be here by now. Grrrr. Some people received them last friday!

Paul B

• forum hero
#77 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 01:17:14 pm
I'd be glad you didn't buy from Ebuyer, they don't exactly have a good reputation for customer service  :worms:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#78 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 02:45:36 pm
I'd be glad you didn't buy from Ebuyer, they don't exactly have a good reputation for customer service  :worms:

I've heard that before but personally never had a problem with them, used them loads of times. Must just be lucky. I'm guessing Google must be using a 3rd party for shipping, doubt they have their own UK/Europe delivery set up, so that's a total unknown.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#79 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 02:49:22 pm
I've heard that before but personally never had a problem with them, used them loads of times. Must just be lucky.

Ditto, I've never had a problem over a number of years ordering various things.  Only time I had to return something was an external HD delivered to work.  Excitedly tried it out there and then and it was fine, then cycled home with it in the pannier.  It no longer worked at home.  Ebuyer arranged collection and replacement within a day or two (although I deviously omitted to tell them about the journey home the drive had taken :-[ ).

Paul B

• forum hero
#80 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 02:55:36 pm

I've heard that before but personally never had a problem with them, used them loads of times. Must just be lucky. I'm guessing Google must be using a 3rd party for shipping, doubt they have their own UK/Europe delivery set up, so that's a total unknown.

I bought a PC when the price of RAM was cheap and got an absolute bargain. My (ebuyer bought) PC broke after 13months of use (motherboard), they calculated how much to give me back due to depreciation (f*ck all) despite the fact that the same PC had appreciated massively in the time period due to the price hike in RAM and hard drives. They couldn't/wouldn't understand that and why I wasn't happy that I couldn't afford to replace it with something of the equivalent spec.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#81 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 03:02:14 pm
Ahha, I remember that saga now.  How did it end?

Paul B

• forum hero
#82 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 03:06:13 pm
Ahha, I remember that saga now.  How did it end?

They paid out at the depreciated value.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#83 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 03:20:26 pm
13 months? Out of warranty? You were lucky they paid you anything, most companies wouldn't.

Paul B

• forum hero
#84 Re: Android
July 18, 2012, 04:26:15 pm
13 months? Out of warranty? You were lucky they paid you anything, most companies wouldn't.

they're required to, a 12month warranty is irrelevant, its all regarding to design life. I can't remember if its 3 or 5 years but its one of the two.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#85 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 10:53:55 am
just got mine this morning, first impressions very good, even though it took a few minutes to work out how to get the box out of the sleeve thing it comes in!

Have only really booted it up, synched mail and put it on charge so going to have a proper play with transferring music / films etc later on.

Anyone know if it's possible to move the apps you've got on an Android mobile over onto the tablet? Not a massive hassle as all of mine are free anyway, would just be less time-consuming.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#86 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 10:57:01 am
just got mine this morning, first impressions very good, even though it took a few minutes to work out how to get the box out of the sleeve thing it comes in!

Have only really booted it up, synched mail and put it on charge so going to have a proper play with transferring music / films etc later on.

Anyone know if it's possible to move the apps you've got on an Android mobile over onto the tablet? Not a massive hassle as all of mine are free anyway, would just be less time-consuming.

Never done it, but it should be possible

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#87 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 12:11:33 pm
just got mine this morning
I can see on the TNT website mine is sat with a neighbour waiting for me... :bounce:

You should be able to install apps from https://play.google.com/apps . Will be interesting to see what options you have when more than one device is registered.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#88 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 01:13:11 pm
Yeah, just tried that route - it's picking up my Nexus as a linked device alongside my HTC phone.

I manually installed Plume using the Google Play store on the tablet and at the moment it's showing me a nice breakdown of what apps are installed on the HTC and what's on the Nexus.

Sadly no handy big red button with "copy all apps across" written on it!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#89 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 01:50:24 pm
I'm not sure "copying" would be exactly what you want to do as the applications themselves may be implemented slightly differently between phones and tablets.

lukeh

• addict
#90 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 02:36:51 pm
Has anyone got any browser recommendations? Probably more interested in mobiles rather than tablets but welcome both experiences :)

I've recently retired my HTC Desire, which I never had any problems with the stock browser on - It was quick, easy to highlight text with and it reflowed text to fit the screen. All boxes ticked.

I've now got a Samsung S3, and was disappointed when I found out that text reflowing wasn't a feature of Android itself, as it doesn't feature on the Samsung stock browser. I tried Opera as it was the only browser with the text reflow feature but found it tempermental when using flash and selecting text.

So I'm currently back onto Samsung's stock browser, and doing the annoying left right screen movement with each line...

Cheers!

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#91 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 03:01:27 pm
Has anyone got any browser recommendations? Probably more interested in mobiles rather than tablets but welcome both experiences :)

I've recently retired my HTC Desire, which I never had any problems with the stock browser on - It was quick, easy to highlight text with and it reflowed text to fit the screen. All boxes ticked.

I've now got a Samsung S3, and was disappointed when I found out that text reflowing wasn't a feature of Android itself, as it doesn't feature on the Samsung stock browser. I tried Opera as it was the only browser with the text reflow feature but found it tempermental when using flash and selecting text.

So I'm currently back onto Samsung's stock browser, and doing the annoying left right screen movement with each line...

Cheers!

Chrome for Android, it's a no-brainer!!  :thumbsup:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#92 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 03:26:06 pm
dolphin hd?

IanP

• forum abuser
#93 Re: Android
July 19, 2012, 04:12:50 pm
dolphin hd?

I use Dolphin HD on my Desire, very nice to use, definitely better functionality than the stock browser.  Believe that Chrome is the general recommended choice for higher versions of Android (I'm still on 2.2!).

Doug

• regular
#94 Re: Android
July 20, 2012, 07:30:11 pm

Can't speak for the S3, but on the S2 the stock browser didn't have text wrapping set as a default. You could change it in the browers settings by going to Settings-->Advanced-->then check the 'Auto-fit pages' box (found under the 'Page Content' sub-heading). Then double clicking to zoom into pages automatically re-formatted it.

Source: http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/06/14/galaxy-s2-tips-tricks/
Also see: http://thehandheldblog.com/2012/06/12/galaxy-s3-tips-tricks/

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#96 Re: Android
July 20, 2012, 08:14:34 pm
I quite like Operas way of handling forums, does some reformatting of PHP based forums, whether thats down to the browser of smart CSS on the sites/forums I use I've no idea.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#97 Re: Android
July 20, 2012, 08:44:18 pm
Fortunately, most forums I use (including this one) have installed Tapatalk - well worth a couple of quid for the amount of use I've had out of it.

lukeh

• addict
#98 Re: Android
July 21, 2012, 11:21:46 am
Thanks for all the browser knowledge. Chrome is a pleasure to use, best out of the lifehackers top 5, but no flash support.

Can't speak for the S3, but on the S2 the stock browser didn't have text wrapping set as a default. You could change it in the browers settings by going to Settings-->Advanced-->then check the 'Auto-fit pages' box (found under the 'Page Content' sub-heading). Then double clicking to zoom into pages automatically re-formatted it.

Shouldn't have missed this,  :slap: seems to solve the problem!

The stock browser is not quite as nice to use as chrome/opera, but is by far the most stable...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#99 Re: Android
July 21, 2012, 11:24:23 am
Thanks for all the browser knowledge. Chrome is a pleasure to use, best out of the lifehackers top 5, but no flash support.

Probably 'cause of HTML5s increasing prominence and use coupled with Adobe discontinuing flash for mobile.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal