UKBouldering.com

Android (Read 59720 times)

lukeh

• addict
#125 Re: Re: Android
December 20, 2012, 08:57:28 am
Anyone with a Samsung device that has an Exynos processor (see the article for a list of devices) might want to use Chainfires Exynos App to patch the kernel exploit (at the same time it roots your device, although its simple to unroot from within the application too).  More background information here.

Cheers for flagging. Would I be right in saying that this security flaw is exploited by apps available from Google play and so could potentially become widely used, but that you would have had to download an app containing the malware first?

Therefore it may be easier to download apps more carefully, sticking to apps with lots of downloads/from reputable authors until Samsung releases a patch that doesn't a) break my camera and b) require me to learn what the implications of rooting my device are?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#126 Re: Android
December 20, 2012, 10:57:05 am
I've no idea if Google are scanning applications for whether they exploit this problem I'm afraid.

The exploit isn't hard (the linked article indicates its only 30 lines of code) so it could easily be injected into an existing package.

If you use this fix then you won't have to bother worrying about being circumspect with the applications you install.  My recommendation would be to read Chainfires posts in detail and the associated threads as I'm sure others will have asked or have similar questions to yourself, and I can't answer them properly.

It didn't break my camera (Galaxy SII) and there aren't really any implications of rooting your device it just means there are a whole lot more applications that you can use (although it voids your warranty, but then paradoxically your warranty would also be voided if the kernel problem were exploited without you having done anything!)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#130 Re: Android
September 19, 2013, 02:51:04 pm
Cyanogenmod for all \o/

Not got time to read all that but having skimmed it, does this basically mean that once the installer is available you'll be able to put a cyanogenmod OS on without all the fucking about?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#131 Re: Android
September 19, 2013, 02:55:33 pm
Yes, that is my interpretation of what they aim to have.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#132 Re: Android
September 19, 2013, 04:41:50 pm
Cool.

whealiebob

• regular
#133 Re: Android
September 19, 2013, 10:56:05 pm
At the risk of sounding stupid and too lazy to read... Could you install it on a non-Android phone? I'm on the betamax of phones; the wonderful Symbian!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#134 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 07:11:14 am
Cyanogenmod is Android, its completely open-source (some of the Google applications like Gmail, Maps etc. aren't, more recently some of the drivers for chips used in some devices aren't either, I think the head of development resigned over this issue with regards to chips used in the Nexus 7, just been snapped up by Yahoo!).

If the hardware is supported by the linux kernel that sits under the hood of Android then conceptually I can't see why it wouldn't run on any phone, you could see if the model of your phone has a version available (although Symbian is quite possibly the OS your phone is running rather than a specific model of phone like an HTC One or Samsung Galaxy SIII).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#135 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 11:13:30 am
symbian is nokia OS IIRC. I don't think the hardware will be compatible with android.
To be honest, if you want an android smart phone, why go to all the bother of hacking and changing your OS (which can be done on many smart phones running different OS's) when you can buy a half decent one for practically fuck-allTM these days?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#136 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 11:39:00 am
symbian is nokia OS IIRC. I don't think the hardware will be compatible with android.
To be honest, if you want an android smart phone, why go to all the bother of hacking and changing your OS (which can be done on many smart phones running different OS's) when you can buy a half decent one for practically fuck-allTM these days?

What is the difference between Android and CyanogenMod

...and from the same page...

CM is an alternative operating system intended to replace the one pre-installed on your smart phones and tablets. If you've got an older device that isn't getting updates anymore, or if your device seems unusually slow, or maybe you're sick of spyware, adware, and other unwanted garbage on your phone that you can't remove... Maybe your device is missing features or has been otherwise artificially limited in functionality. Perhaps you just could use a boost in performance... Or maybe you'd like to be more confident that your operating system has included some of the latest bug fixes...

If so, CM might be for you.

Less of an issue if you've bagged a Nexus 4/7 device (the best value fuck-all devices) as they run stock Android and are maintained with regular updates.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#137 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:28:22 pm
I was refering to non-android smart phones i.e. in my case HTC HD2 running windows mobile 6.5 (now called windows embedded handheld)

whealiebob

• regular
#138 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:33:26 pm
Cheers for the replies, yeah Symbian is the Nokia OS, my phone is actually the C6-01. I've done a bit more reading since I posted and there's no chance of running anything remotely Androidy on it.

I'm just bored with my phone and did have a cheap Sony android phone, but it was so rubbish I flogged it to CEX and went back to the Nokia.

Might have to look through the Mobile recommendations thread for an idea for a better one.

Dave

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#139 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:38:11 pm
I have a nokia 6303ci work phone and the HD2.
I much prefer to use the nokia as a phone and to text with. The HD2 is handy for doing emails and web stuff through.
There are loads of good quality cheap android phones out there now, probably one of the best value for money is the nexus 4 IMHO

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#140 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:40:33 pm
I was refering to non-android smart phones i.e. in my case HTC HD2 running windows mobile 6.5 (now called windows embedded handheld)

Sorry, I misinterpreted. :oops:

Might have to look through the Mobile recommendations thread for an idea for a better one.

Nexus 4 (8Gb or 16Gb) are best value at moment, they both had £80 knocked of the price a month ago (clearing stock pending the announcement of the Nexus 5).

Only drawback is that there is no replaceable battery nor micro-SD slot.  If it weren't for this I'd trade/sell my Galaxy S2 (best price seems to be around £115 when I checked recently) and get the 16Gb Nexus 4 for essentially £85 and stick with my £10/month SIM only contract.

EDIT : What Jim said

whealiebob

• regular
#141 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:44:18 pm
Yeah, I've had the C6 for nearly 4 years and it's great for it's age. I actually think Symbian is better than Android for being a phone, but it just lacks apps, games (well, anything really).

Anyone used any of the LTE's or Huawei's. Seem cheap for their spec.

whealiebob

• regular
#142 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:45:13 pm
 :sorry: :offtopic:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#143 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 12:53:53 pm
Yeah, I've had the C6 for nearly 4 years and it's great for it's age. I actually think Symbian is better than Android for being a phone, but it just lacks apps, games (well, anything really).

All the things that aren't essential to being a phone then.  ;)

Anyone used any of the LTE's or Huawei's. Seem cheap for their spec.

Nope.

whealiebob

• regular
#144 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 01:01:31 pm
Sorry, just realised how stupid that statement was...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#145 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 02:07:49 pm
get the 16Gb Nexus 4 for essentially £85 and stick with my £10/month SIM only contract.

EDIT : What Jim said

Wife needs a new phone - am I missing something here or are this Nexus 4 still >£200? I think once you're over 50 fuck-alls you should start dealing in fuck-loads.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#146 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 02:18:22 pm
Yes the current Nexus 4 aren't > £200, the 16Gb Nexus 4 is £199 which technically is < £200 (but only by a fraction of a fuck-all).

The 8Gb Nexus 4 is £159 if she doesn't use the phone for storing tons of stuff on (e.g. music, can use Google Music to circumvent this). EDIT : These are sold out in the UK now.

Both were reduced by £80 about a month ago.

I think once you're over 50 fuck-alls you should start dealing in fuck-loads.

:agree:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:29:09 pm by slackline »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#147 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 02:28:25 pm
I was looking for a maximum of 40 fuck alls tbh.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#148 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 02:30:25 pm
If you're not bothered about second hand that could be an option.  Might require the purchase of a new battery though so a bit of a gamble.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#149 Re: Android
September 20, 2013, 03:48:11 pm
misses just got a new S3 and 600mins, unlimited text and 650mb data for £22 month 24month contract with a bit of haggling which was too good not to get.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal