UKBouldering.com

Ireland trip... (Read 3974 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Ireland trip...
January 23, 2012, 04:49:44 pm
Hello (not sure if this should be in 'abroad' but its a trip plan so...),

MrsTT wants to go away somewhere over easter for a week, and I'm going to put together plan to persuade her for a week on the Emerald Isle - as I can take the car there with 'ahem' a bouldering mat or two in tow :) Now, my Ireland experience is largely based around Dublin and the Burren.. I'm happy to give the city a miss, and the Burren was a good spot, but any thoughts on either a base or couple of bases to work from (I'm easy as to where but rather not travel too far..). Bearing in mind that this will (coughs loudly) not be a bouldering holiday (as MrsTT doesnt climb) so I need to pick some plumb places to visit/things to do, in order to build my case :)

Any experiences/thoughts?
Cheers, TT

PS  - I know it can rain. Alot.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Ireland trip...
January 23, 2012, 07:05:12 pm
First thing you should do is buy the bouldering guide from http://www.theshortspan.com/] [url]http://www.theshortspan.com/[/url].
There isn't much bouldering around the Burren. Doolin is the best spot with around 70 problems. If there is a big swell it can get wet. The rock dries very quick between showers and its only a few minutes from Doolin village so easy to grab an hour or two. There a similar area on the Inishmore one of the Aran Islands.

Killarney in Kerry could be a good base. A good bit of easily accesible bouldering in the Gap of Dunloe and plenty of touristy things to do as well. Or a few days in each. If you have any other questions fire away.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ireland trip...
January 23, 2012, 08:09:50 pm
First thing you should do is buy the bouldering guide from [url]http://www.theshortspan.com/]http://www.theshortspan.com/] [url]http://www.theshortspan.com/[/url].
There isn't much bouldering around the Burren. Doolin is the best spot with around 70 problems. If there is a big swell it can get wet. The rock dries very quick between showers and its only a few minutes from Doolin village so easy to grab an hour or two. There a similar area on the Inishmore one of the Aran Islands.

Killarney in Kerry could be a good base. A good bit of easily accesible bouldering in the Gap of Dunloe and plenty of touristy things to do as well. Or a few days in each. If you have any other questions fire away.

I've got a guide :) and its excellent - though only been coffee table reading - so its time to put thought into practice! I've been to Doolin a few times (we took Students to the Burren for a couple of years staying on Balyvaughn (sp??) if memory serves me.. ) and always wanted to go visit the Arans.. Killarney is a good suggestion.. I'll get on my google :)

Cheers for that Dave,
T

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Ireland trip...
January 23, 2012, 08:36:49 pm
You say you've been around Dublin, but if that hasn't covered Wicklow in the past it would be a good spot to include.

Driving anywhere thats not just off the motorways takes ages.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ireland trip...
January 23, 2012, 08:49:41 pm
Driving anywhere thats not just off the motorways takes ages.

Yeah - that much I remember.. though examining the map it looks like a few more motorways have appeared since I was last there!

bigd942

• addict
#5 Re: Ireland trip...
January 23, 2012, 09:27:52 pm
Why not tackle N.Ireland - start in Belfast work your way anti clock wise up the coast round to Derry, nip over to Donegal  town then back to Fermanagh and back again to Belfast, en route you'd see places like the Glens of Antrim, Fairhead, Giants Causeway, Bushmills Whiskey, Carrick-a-reed Bridge etc. Muckross isn't that far from Donegal and it along with Fairhead should give you some bouldering - roads are good and all but for a Sunday morning are clear of traffic.

We're not a big place, plenty of surfing etc up the north coast here as well if it's your thing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Ireland trip...
January 24, 2012, 07:51:12 am
I thought the walk in to Glenadlough wasn't that far at all and relatively flat too.

Beautiful valley though (if there isn't a helicopter ferrying aggregate up and down it all day :furious: )...

Walking in by slack---line, on Flickr

Oh Deer by slack---line, on Flickr

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#7 Re: Ireland trip...
January 24, 2012, 08:46:58 am
Malin Head on the very northerly tip is a lovely spot. The Seaview Tavern would be a nice place to stay for a family, or there are guesthouses around. There's even a little bouldering a half hour away (can't remember where exactly).

chillax

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Ireland trip...
January 24, 2012, 10:08:35 am
Just a thought, if the bouldering needs to fit unobtrusively into a "holiday": there do seem to be some hefty walks to access some of the Wicklow venues, though the one into Glendalough is very scenic. If that's a possible negative factor, best study the guide hard and/ or consult more with Mr Flanagan.

If you haven't been then, Wicklow is well worth it. Glendalough is probably the best in terms of combining bouldering with sightseeing/touristy stuff. Its a bit of a stroll, but a lovely one. Some places do require longish walk ins, though there is plenty of good stuff closer to the road e.g. Lough Bray, Cloghouge, the Ballinafushoge boulder, and Lough Nahanagan. If you end up in Wicklow and have a day pass then it would be well worth strolling into Glenmacnass. About 45mins boggy walk, but a really fantastic location.

I'd say Wicklow and Kerry (though I've not been for a very long time) give the best options to combine touristy stuff with some very good bouldering. A couple of days in Laragh followed by a couple of days in Killarney?

Wherever you go, don't forget your wellies  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Ireland trip...
January 24, 2012, 01:51:46 pm
Thanks everyone -
Theres some great advice there to go on. Though MrsTT and Hefty walks are not words usually used in the same sentence (unless you include words like 'refuse' or 'argue about' :) ).
Time to work out a plan and submit it to the events manager ;)
TT

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Ireland trip...
February 06, 2012, 10:30:49 am
Bugger. MrsTT wants to go to Bruges for a long weekend instead...
I'm not against a trip to Bruges, but I wont get any climbing in... :(

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#11 Re: Ireland trip...
February 06, 2012, 01:06:33 pm
Bugger. MrsTT wants to go to Bruges for a long weekend instead...

Do you think she's been reading this thread?   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal